PlayStation Vita Will Be Region-Free

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It was revealed this week by Sony Entertainment President Shuhei Yoshida that the PlayStation Vita (PSV) will be region-free as prior rumors claimed. The new handheld is set to be released in Asian markets in time for Christmas and worldwide in the first quarter 2012.

Kind of unsurprising as it's using un region locked media...and the old PSP was too.

If only digital distributors could do the same...:( Godamnit why can I still not buy some games from steam?

At first I read that as religion-free, and was like, "what?".

Yes but the real question should be: will it be radioactive contamination free (cesium, iodine, strontium, americium, neptunium, uranium, plutonium)? Last I checked SONY does have manufacturing facilities in Fukushima. Will the Vita, or parts of it, be manufactured near the disaster area of Fukushima or will it be done in China?

I realize that people will likely laugh this off or dismiss it as a joke but having anything with radioactive particles on/in them could be a serious hazard (especially of inhaled/ingested). Since Japan has been openly distributing contaminated food to the the public within Japan you can imagine their level of care for people of foreign nations would be even less. Just some things to consider when buying "Made in Japan" since 3-11.

Yes but the real question should be: will it be radioactive contamination free (cesium, iodine, strontium, americium, neptunium, uranium, plutonium)? Last I checked SONY does have manufacturing facilities in Fukushima. Will the Vita, or parts of it, be manufactured near the disaster area of Fukushima or will it be done in China?

I realize that people will likely laugh this off or dismiss it as a joke but having anything with radioactive particles on/in them could be a serious hazard (especially of inhaled/ingested). Since Japan has been openly distributing contaminated food to the the public within Japan you can imagine their level of care for people of foreign nations would be even less. Just some things to consider when buying "Made in Japan" since 3-11.

I have the same thoughts when I see food shipped from China. What kind of water was used.Was the garlic farm down stream of a heavy metals polluter. What about the fish from the inland fish farms,who controls the antibiotics and again the water the fish are in.

That's like saying no to fucking a Japanese girl if her parents or grandparents were from Nagasaki or Hiroshima.

"Oh noes, what if we get a Mutant child...!!!"

I have the same thoughts when I see food shipped from China. What kind of water was used.Was the garlic farm down stream of a heavy metals polluter. What about the fish from the inland fish farms,who controls the antibiotics and again the water the fish are in.

I had the same feeling before about any food from China but now I am more afraid of food in Japan because our government is lying to the people (like any other government would to its own) and putting profits and the economy ahead of the health of the people.

I was planning to buy my wife a Canon camera as a gift but I found that one of their main factories is located in, wait for it, Fukushima prefecture. Some people may call this paranoia but when it comes to your health you cannot be too careful. This is especially true in the case of Fukushima as there has been repeated deception on the part of the Japan government, TEPCO and many business who do not want this disaster to destroy their businesses. This is purely a case of economy > the health of people.

I would strongly urge my fellow [H]'ers to be cautious about purchasing anything "Made in Japan" for the foreseeable future (especially so when it is a food product - green tea, seaweed, etc). If you can buy alternatives do so.

I had the same feeling before about any food from China but now I am more afraid of food in Japan because our government is lying to the people (like any other government would to its own) and putting profits and the economy ahead of the health of the people.

I was planning to buy my wife a Canon camera as a gift but I found that one of their main factories is located in, wait for it, Fukushima prefecture. Some people may call this paranoia but when it comes to your health you cannot be too careful. This is especially true in the case of Fukushima as there has been repeated deception on the part of the Japan government, TEPCO and many business who do not want this disaster to destroy their businesses. This is purely a case of economy > the health of people.

I would strongly urge my fellow [H]'ers to be cautious about purchasing anything "Made in Japan" for the foreseeable future (especially so when it is a food product - green tea, seaweed, etc). If you can buy alternatives do so.

Too bad, lol. Most of the substrate material for your precious CPU comes from.... Japan. Along with your cellphones, WiFi routers, almost anything with an IC, lol. Even some display panels, though those normally source from Mainland China.

Sorry, but that is in fact paranoia.

Still your own choice though, so meh. I have some conservative friends that refuse to buy products manufactured in California because they don't want to support "the liberal agenda" or some crap like that. Isn't choice wonderful?

Good thing PSUs are usually advertised with having "Japanese capacitors". Better avoid Seasonic, Corsair, Enermax, etc. PSUs then!

Screw that. In fact I am planning a trip to Japan next year. I may even visit the Fukushima area, just to see it. Then again, I work with high powered EM radiation on a daily basis, so I understand that I will be exposed to more radiation the next time I get an XRay than I will spending an afternoon seeing Fukushima.

I hope you have no plans to ever go near a city like Tehran, since it has a very high NATURAL background radiation level.

Sealed Battery.
Battery Life already quoted as only being low.
No Sale.
Give me 5+ hours battery life, at 75%+ utilization or no sale.
Hell most won't buy it anyways, smartphones cover a large portion of the mobile gaming demographic as it is.

Whatever came about of the Playstation phone? I thought that was going to snuff out any future PSP handhelds? I take it, it bombed?

That would've been stupid if Sony wanted the handheld market. Not everyone has a smart phone and that kind of transition wouldn't have been a good way to increase any PSP marketshare.

Wow I didn't realize how much paranoia/propaganda was going around. Not buying a camera because it was made in Fukushima... really?

Wow I didn't realize how much paranoia/propaganda was going around. Not buying a camera because it was made in Fukushima... really?
That's why its sometimes better to limit information because it causes people to overreact. Luckily humans can counter this by forgetting about it in a little while. Don't eat cantaloupes. They are worse than digital cameras.

I can't wait to have Vita. For all the power in my Droid Bionic, it's ridiculously hard to find games that take advantage of it. The number of PSP-quality Android games is pathetically small.

Oh and I don't want a fusion of my cell phone and portable game console. My Droid Bionic lasts only two hours on a full charge while playing Star Legends. I need my phone to communicate and stay informed.

Oh shit, my car was made in Hiroshima:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:, being serious I don't care, more likely to die from the pollutants in the area than barely trace levels of radiation, which are everywhere...you do know that everyone born prior to Chernobyl has breathed a particle of radiation from that incident, as the cloud spread across the globe?

Back