PlayStation Now: Stream PS4 Games in 2017

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Playstation Now is going to start streaming PS4 games to the PS4 and PC sometimes in 2017. There is a private test that is being rolled out to current users of the service. Hopefully Bloodbourne is one of the PS4 titles that is streamed. I wouldn't mind a bit of Horizon Zero Dawn and The Last of Us. The service is a bit pricey at $20 a month, but if you pay in 3 month increments, the price comes out to $15 a month. That's a bit more than Netflix 4K. No list of PS4 games was released at this time.

As many of you know, PlayStation Now lets you stream hundreds of PS3 games — currently 483 to be exact — to your PS4 and Windows PC.
We’re excited to announce that PS Now’s catalog is set to grow even further, as we’ll be expanding to include a new platform: PlayStation 4 games. All of the games in the service, including PS4 games, will be included with a single PS Now subscription. We’ll share more information as we get closer to launch, so stay tuned.

As a former PSNow subscriber, I liked the service, but if you have a data cap on your home ISP, this service will chew through your data pretty quickly. Cox implemented a 1 TB/month cap on all plans and I was consistently getting close to passing that cap. If I was running 4k Netflix, I would have easily passed the cap every month.

As a former PSNow subscriber, I liked the service, but if you have a data cap on your home ISP, this service will chew through your data pretty quickly. Cox implemented a 1 TB/month cap on all plans and I was consistently getting close to passing that cap. If I was running 4k Netflix, I would have easily passed the cap every month.
Agreed. With 1TB caps becoming universal in the US the idea of subscribing to a game streaming service is a risky one.

I hit the very same problem with Nvidia's GameNow service using my Nvidia Shield. We went through 1.5 TB on Comcast, thankfully they give you 2 months to go over.

It worked pretty well, I was impressed with the service (not the selection). It's just too bad the caps are there.

I have since built basically a home grown steambox to do the same thing but locally on my network. It works pretty good as well, though you sometimes have to manually point Nvidia to the exe and give it a poster, but I can live with that.

EDIT: I will add Nvidia GameNOW gives you Steam keys for any purchased games... awesome if you choose to end service.

I just want to play some of my old PS3 games on PS4, and streaming to my computer would be an extra benefit. But no way am I paying a monthly fee for that. I could kick myself for selling my PS3.

I do not understand why anyone would want to subscribe to this. Aside from the waste of bandwidth, there is no way around the latency. Just buy the console (used if you like) and be done with it.

I'll try this for at least a month, see if there are enough titles for me and if the input lag is tolerable. Hopefully by being online, I'd at least be able to choose my language, if not completely bypass region locks.

Seriously though, Japanese game companies are still the only people implementing region locks on their games, and they lock out their bloody neighbours!

I'll try this for at least a month, see if there are enough titles for me and if the input lag is tolerable. Hopefully by being online, I'd at least be able to choose my language, if not completely bypass region locks.

Seriously though, Japanese game companies are still the only people implementing region locks on their games, and they lock out their bloody neighbours!

Ironic given how Sony is typically region free for their consoles.

In regards to the post and wanting of Bloodbourne, good luck. As I recall Demons Souls was added to the service but only for Japanese accounts. Not sure about the Dark Souls games, just saying bloodbourne could go that same way though.

I never really got the appeal of streaming games.... its basically renting a game and its going to rely heavily on you ISP to deliver a quality experience. Not to mention the input lag, i can't see it being very good for MP games.

So wait a second ... I can play Horizon Zero Dawn without having to purchased a playstation?

I never really got the appeal of streaming games.... its basically renting a game and its going to rely heavily on you ISP to deliver a quality experience. Not to mention the input lag, i can't see it being very good for MP games.
Yeah, I don't get it either. Unless you've got a potato for a videocard it just makes no sense due to the bandwidth usage with ISP caps, and the added latency. It'd just make MP horrendous, and add unnecessary lag to an SP experience, all while not rendering locally on your computer at whatever resolution and framerate you should be able to pull off(4k@60, 1080@144, or whatever). The windows store might still be aids, but at least Microsoft has the right idea with just letting you run the damn games locally on your PC.

Reactions: blkt
like this
Back