PlayStation Now Extends Subscription Plan To $100 Per Year

HardOCP News

[H] News
I guess $100 a year for Sony's online game streaming service is a pretty good deal when you consider the regular price is $19.99 per month.

For less than $9 per month, you can now get access to hundreds of PS3 games, with new games added every month. If you’re a current PlayStation Now subscriber, you can purchase the 12-Month Subscription on PlayStation Store to extend your current 1-Month or 3-Month subscription.

Or you can buy 1-2 per month on eBay for pennies?

This is why I'll never be a console gamer... I buy the game, then I have to pay to play it online with my friends?

#PCMasterRace

This is why I'll never be a console gamer... I buy the game, then I have to pay to play it online with my friends?

#PCMasterRace

The fact that online access costs more, along with the fact that games are more expensive and don't drop in price nearly as quickly or as much as on the PC, just makes me more inclined to play on the PC. To say nothing of the inferior performance/graphics and long load times.

Frankly the service is too expensive even at $9 a month. I find value in PSN+ as the number of games included in the service more than justifies the roughly $4/mo it comes out to. This assuming that I only like on average 1 of those games per month. However for me since I have a couple kids as well and that same PSN account nets me 4-6 games per month across both my PS3 and Ps4, it turns into a great value. That however fills up the majority of my time as for trying additional games. Unlike netflix where the average I spend on a single show is 30ish minutes. The average I spend on a single game is much higher. So given that gap I can (assuming I only game on console which I don't) simply fill 1-2 games a month off Redbox for Far far less than playstation now. Now I don't personally do that as the rest of my time is spent on PC games, but just using it as an example. If Playstation now included PSN+ as part of that deal, it "Might" be tempting, as that brings its value in line with what I'm talking about. However an additional $100 on top of PSN+? No thanks.

So besides all the tiny dicks stroking their tiny dicks in this thread, 9.99 a month doesn't seem so bad. Netflix is similarly priced and is basically the same thing (why stream those movies when you can get them for pennies on ebay lol!), but the convenience factor is real.

However, I think the limiting factor is internet speed. Unlike netflix, games require some real connections and large playerbases just don't have it.

So besides all the tiny dicks stroking their tiny dicks in this thread, 9.99 a month doesn't seem so bad. Netflix is similarly priced and is basically the same thing (why stream those movies when you can get them for pennies on ebay lol!), but the convenience factor is real.

However, I think the limiting factor is internet speed. Unlike netflix, games require some real connections and large playerbases just don't have it.

I also question why so many people question streaming game services, then turn around and pay for either cable TV or Netflix/Hulu. Because you definitely don't own the TV shows + movies you paid for with Netflix. You are lucky if the same movie is even still there in six month.

Once I finish a game, 95% of the time I am done with it and don't keep around a massive stash of game discs and cartridges just in case I want to play them again. If I really feel the need to play an old game again, I will just buy it and play it (and then turn around and sell the game).

#PCMasterRace

This isn't Playstation Plus, it's Playstation Now -- a completely different product than what you're talking about.

Not too well versed with the console market, but I have been thinking of getting a PS4. Does this service only allow you to play PS3 games? How about PS2 and PSX games? I want to play all the old titles I've missed out on.

the news article seems to have been removed? link in OP takes me to a dead end.

Not too well versed with the console market, but I have been thinking of getting a PS4. Does this service only allow you to play PS3 games? How about PS2 and PSX games? I want to play all the old titles I've missed out on.

Playstation Now is strictly for streaming games from Sonys servers. It has games from pretty much every platform. It's not a bad deal if you have ADD and can't play the same game for longer than a day.

To answer your two questions, no and yes.

So besides all the tiny dicks stroking their tiny dicks in this thread,
PCMasterRace only deals in bag-o-dicks sir. Why waste time with small dicks? That's why PCMasterRace is superior.
9.99 a month doesn't seem so bad.
You would think that. Except that those old PS3 games are like $3 each on Ebay.
Netflix is similarly priced and is basically the same thing (why stream those movies when you can get them for pennies on ebay lol!), but the convenience factor is real.
The problem is that movie's are disposable. Ant-Man is a great movie but after watching it once I have no reason to see it two or three times. Also when you stream a movie you don't experience latency. Also movies are only roughly 2 hours long.

Why are we comparing movies to video games?
Limiting factor is stupid. There's too much stupid behind streaming games. You need to pay $9 use a service to play games, when the games themselves are cheaper on DVD. You don't need a internet connection with a DVD. There's no input latency with DVD, and this is regardless of how fast your connection. It's all about distance, cause if the server is in California and I'm in Jersey, my input latency is going to suck a bag-o-dicks. No amount of gigabytes or fiber optics is going to change that. Though Quantum entanglement might fix this but that'll be decades away.

So as you can see it's a whole lot of stupid. Meanwhile I can do the same sorta thing from my home PC and play my games from there to whatever device I have for free. You'll just have to live with the latency. Or if you're smart like me you could just keep a super fast laptop with you at all times.

There's no input latency with DVD, and this is regardless of how fast your connection.

For all of the console games that use forced V-Sync (a ton of them) There absolutely is latency. You can't use V-sync without additional latency, and i've never seen a console game before that allows you to toggle it off.

Meanwhile I go on EBay and get a year of XBox Live Gold for 35-40 bucks.

If I still played XBox, that is. Unfortunately, the One has taken over and I will not be one with it.

Meanwhile I go on EBay and get a year of XBox Live Gold for 35-40 bucks.

If I still played XBox, that is. Unfortunately, the One has taken over and I will not be one with it.

It must be pretty unfortunate that XBox owenr

Whoops sent that post way too soon, damn phone.

PS Now is a game streaming service, it has nothing to do with a $35 subscription to XBox Live.

I think some of you are confused.

Playstation now is NOT playstation "plus."

Playstation plus is basically sony's version of "xbox live gold" and what you need to play games online with, it's like 49 a year for that.

Playstation "now" is sony's "streaming" service that streams ps3 games to ps4. More comparable to netflix, but for playstation 3 games.

^ not just to ps4 consoles but other Sony stuff as well (vita) and also on multiple televisions.

I think that $100/Yr is absolutely worth it. Think of it like netflix. And to the people saying buy the games for $8... you still need to buy a psychological to play those games. You don't have to carry around a ps3 and can play it on different TVs and other stuff too. Just because you don't have a use for it doesn't make it useless.

^ not just to ps4 consoles but other Sony stuff as well (vita) and also on multiple televisions.

I think that $100/Yr is absolutely worth it. Think of it like netflix. And to the people saying buy the games for $8... you still need to buy a psychological to play those games. You don't have to carry around a ps3 and can play it on different TVs and other stuff too. Just because you don't have a use for it doesn't make it useless.

I don't agree. You have to compare it with PSN+ in value since both give you games and PSN+ in many cases is going to be necessary. When you are looking at $15/mo basically between the two the value heavily drops for PS Now. It just doesn't have the content to even come close to competing with netflix in value and as such certainly isn't worth the same. As I said, they could get away with it if it included PSN+ as part of its bundle, but $100/yr stand alone? Nope.

I don't agree. You have to compare it with PSN+ in value since both give you games and PSN+ in many cases is going to be necessary. When you are looking at $15/mo basically between the two the value heavily drops for PS Now. It just doesn't have the content to even come close to competing with netflix in value and as such certainly isn't worth the same. As I said, they could get away with it if it included PSN+ as part of its bundle, but $100/yr stand alone? Nope.

But that's assuming that Playstation Plus actually happens to offer the games you want to play at the time you sign up. I'd rather choose my games myself. That's a very important feature in my opinion.

This is a big sticking point imo.

It seems really really short-sighted of them to make them separate in terms of content and what it offers.

While ps now does allow you to play any of the ps3 games from ps now online (you don't need ps plus to play) you still need ps plus for ps4 games and things.

I think they would see a better return on investment if they made ps now basically like the "highest" tier of ps plus, where it included the multiplayer for both ps3/ps4 and everything ps plus gets, with you paying ithe extra 50 on top for the "streaming" service and ps3 games across things.

I was actually kind of interested because when I read in the opening post that they said "hundreds of PS3 games". I was thinking somewhere around 300+, with many of the JRPGs that I am interested in, included...

But nope.

If you scroll down to the bottom, this is the full list:
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/psnow/subscriptions/

Out of that list, the only thing I'm remotely interested in is the Atelier series, but I already have the Plus versions of 3 Ateliers to burn through on my Vita anyway (already done the main story to one anyhow). Everything else is something I either don't care about, or would prefer to play elsewhere (ie the Agarest series is on PC anyway, so is all of Assassin's Creed). So I'm not terribly interested. Well aside from the fact that I have like 300 games in my Steam backlog, and that's not counting all the crap that I still haven't played on my Vita, PS3, PS4, 3DS, etc. I guess I wasn't really a good target for this in the first place. My first instinct really is that this will be an appealing platform for parents who don't want to spend much money on their kids' entertainment. I mean, really 10$ a month and they can just be entertained with whatever's on that sizable list? I imagine it would work for most people.

For everyone else... well no, I think the general crowd will be well served by this, since a lot of the games on here are appealing to the mainstream demographic. Rather I'm surprised there are even any of the things I would be interested in. I think this is a good deal, just not for me.

Back