PlayStation finally dead: (

HisSvt76

2[H]4U
Well my ps3 up and died last night. Took all night downloading BioShock from plus installed went to play game started up and then bang system shuts off with blinking red lights. Sony wants 99 bucks to fix it. Think I might just eBay it for parts and buy a new one. Can't believe it happened that fast, figures though it only took 6 hours to download bioshock last night, now I get to re download over 250 GB of free games.

I doubt that Sony would even fix it if you paid the $99 and sent it to them. They'd probably just send you a refurb'd slim model.

I doubt that Sony would even fix it if you paid the $99 and sent it to them. They'd probably just send you a refurb'd slim model.

They'll still send you the BC models if they die, assuming you want one. I got mine replaced last Winter and had a friend who got one this Summer. I have too many old Street Fighter games for PS2 to let go of my BC model.
I can't recall the exact price points, but it was something like $100 to get a BC model replaced or you could pay $75 for them to swap it with one of the newer slims.
I was talking to the guy from Sony a little and he implied that they have a pretty decent supply of the older models since they really do fix all of the ones that come in.

I gotta talk it over with the boss... I mean wife. I know my son is getting a few games for Xmas from family so I have some time before then to figure it out, I think I'm more pissed about having to re download all the games it is gonna take forever! And just surprised that it happened so fast it was working perfectly. But very similar to older laptops with nvidia gpu's.

Well my ps3 up and died last night. Took all night downloading BioShock from plus installed went to play game started up and then bang system shuts off with blinking red lights. Sony wants 99 bucks to fix it. Think I might just eBay it for parts and buy a new one. Can't believe it happened that fast, figures though it only took 6 hours to download bioshock last night, now I get to re download over 250 GB of free games.

You'll probably get ripped off by somebody reporting it's broken when it arrives. This actually happens...

I used Gophermods.com to fix my YLOD. Cost me around $90 still but they shipped it fast and it was my original PS3 fat 80GB.

You'll probably get ripped off by somebody reporting it's broken when it arrives. This actually happens...

They have a listing for parts only machines I've sold laptops that way a bunch never had anyone try that.

Based on my conversation with the Sony rep, it sounds like they have plenty of all the different models.
While they don't actually repair your unit and send it back to you, they try to mail you the same model you had before if that's what you want. They'll later fix your machine and send it to the next person.
Everyone can "upgrade" to the slim for cheaper, but if BC really matters to you, that isn't exactly an upgrade.

Try the hair dryer/towel trick to see if you can bring it back to life long enough to back up your hard drive so you don't lose all your saves. That's what I did when my 60 GB Fatty died earlier this year...can't say I really miss the BC since I almost never used it past 2008.

Try the hair dryer/towel trick to see if you can bring it back to life long enough to back up your hard drive so you don't lose all your saves. That's what I did when my 60 GB Fatty died earlier this year...can't say I really miss the BC since I almost never used it past 2008.

Thanks but my saves are good benefit of being a plus member cloud storage! The only thing I need to do is download games again which are linked to you purchase history so even if they are not in the market note you can still re download them I confirmed that with Sony as that was my biggest concern. If fact with plus you can get the vita games now just make the free purchase and download later. I did this with all the current free vita games as I don't have one yet but might buy one soon.

Everytime I see one of these threads I worry... but I don't use my PS3 often enough anyway.

Hope everything works out for you OP

Everytime I see one of these threads I worry... but I don't use my PS3 often enough anyway.

Hope everything works out for you OP

I don't use mine a ton either this happen just downloading and then trying to run the free PS+ game of the week BioShock. That is what freaked me out about it. After talking with the wife i think we are gonna grab a slim before Xmas.

Can't you just take the HDD out and clone it? Then you wouldn't have to re-download all the games.

Ah ok. I was hoping it would. I guess because of the PS OS file format?

Anyone with a PS3 out of warranty should open it up and replace the thermal grease. In a PC forum, this is obvious maintenance. Old, dried out thermal grease is half the reason any PS3 might die. My 60GB is still going strong, because I keep it maintained. I did have to replace the blu-ray laser, but their's nothing to prevent that eventual failure.

Anyone with a PS3 out of warranty should open it up and replace the thermal grease. In a PC forum, this is obvious maintenance. Old, dried out thermal grease is half the reason any PS3 might die. My 60GB is still going strong, because I keep it maintained. I did have to replace the blu-ray laser, but their's nothing to prevent that eventual failure.

Did that long ago still didn't stop the GPU from breaking its solder, that what causes the ylod same problem nvidia had with their notebook GPU's . the die shrinks of the ps3 and 360 are the only real way to avoid issues like this, manufacturing has come a long way since 05/06 at least Microsoft admitted it and fixed for free.

Did that long ago still didn't stop the GPU from breaking its solder, that what causes the ylod same problem nvidia had with their notebook GPU's . the die shrinks of the ps3 and 360 are the only real way to avoid issues like this, manufacturing has come a long way since 05/06 at least Microsoft admitted it and fixed for free.

The average lifespan for electronics is usually around 5 years, so things breaking 6/7 years later isn't likely to be because of some kind of misdesign. The failure rates of around 5-10%, is slightly higher than the (5%) average but not really indicitive of some grave design/manafacture fault. So it's not something a company would be expected to address, most graphics cards likely have higher fail rates.

The RLoD issue was 50%+ failures (5-10x higher), so not really the same thing. Being an obvious design flaw they would have to address it somehow.

The average lifespan for electronics is usually around 5 years, so things breaking 6/7 years later isn't likely to be because of some kind of misdesign. The failure rates of around 5-10%, is slightly higher than the (5%) average but not really indicitive of some grave design/manafacture fault. So it's not something a company would be expected to address, most graphics cards likely have higher fail rates.

The RLoD issue was 50%+ failures (5-10x higher), so not really the same thing. Being an obvious design flaw they would have to address it somehow.

I'll tell that to my launch day Dreamcast and my NES, and my 3 original xbox's and my launch Wii. I'll let them know its OK to give up now:) oh yeah and I've replaced more ps3 in my house than xbox's and the Xbox gets played more.

I'll tell that to my launch day Dreamcast and my NES, and my 3 original xbox's and my launch Wii. I'll let them know its OK to give up now:) oh yeah and I've replaced more ps3 in my house than xbox's and the Xbox gets played more.

Meh I've had 2 or 3 GRAY NES stop detecting carts on me. No dreamcast ever failed me surprisingly. I think for whatever reason DreamCast has to this day had the best quality CD-ROM of anything. I've had several PS1,2,3 Readers go bad on me. Had an Xbox Thomspon reader die. Had an Xbox360 fry on me.

Meh I've had 2 or 3 GRAY NES stop detecting carts on me. No dreamcast ever failed me surprisingly. I think for whatever reason DreamCast has to this day had the best quality CD-ROM of anything. I've had several PS1,2,3 Readers go bad on me. Had an Xbox Thomspon reader die. Had an Xbox360 fry on me.

The NES is an easy fix at least. The Dreamcast is got to be the toughest console ever besides the Genesis(have one the survived a flood). All my Xbox have Samsung drives those Thompson drives were shit for sure.
I honestly think now with modern die tech we will see less board level failures, still gonna have to deal with damn ROM drives though.

I'm buying the top load ps3 at least I can see what needs to be kept clean.

Soo much anecdotal evidenceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Sorry, I think someone needed to say that.

I don't think you understood the point. You having something fail isn't sign of a design fault if overall the product is within or close to the average failure rate for electronics. You could have 100 fail and it still wouldn't make that true if the average was still as low as it is (though you'd likely be doing something wrong).

Anecdotes and personal experience don't have much effect on numbers in the millions. Based on the numbers, for your 3 still working models there shall be at least 3-5 others elsewhere that are broken. For your 1 broken PS3 there will be 9-19 other guys with theirs still working (and 1 broken Wii somewhere out of the other 19).

Tempted to do this on my release day fatty but so far no problems and I'd hate to mess something up.

I don't think you understood the point. You having something fail isn't sign of a design fault if overall the product is within or close to the average failure rate for electronics. You could have 100 fail and it still wouldn't make that true if the average was still as low as it is (though you'd likely be doing something wrong).

Anecdotes and personal experience don't have much effect on numbers in the millions. Based on the numbers, for your 3 still working models there shall be at least 3-5 others elsewhere that are broken. For your 1 broken PS3 there will be 9-19 other guys with theirs still working (and 1 broken Wii somewhere out of the other 19).

I don't think you understand humor and sarcasm. But thanks anyway for your thoughts. Little secret I didn't pay anything for this fat ps3. Got it from my nephew wouldn't read disc's cleaned it and got 2 years free use. Not the Case though for my launch unit that did the same thing paid 600 for that. That one is long gone. Picking up new one this week, I sold this broken fat for 40 bucks for parts.

I was gonna say if op has had his ps3 since the 40gb came out that thermal grease is probably all dried up. I had a launch 60gb and I didn't even play that much but wanted to thoroughly clean it so I opened that sucker and the grease was 50% dried up!
Ended up putting some ic7 and replacing 15blade with an oem 19blade fan.

I eventually sold mine, should have kept it! Now I can play any GTA with airplanes!! :(

The NES is an easy fix at least. The Dreamcast is got to be the toughest console ever besides the Genesis(have one the survived a flood). All my Xbox have Samsung drives those Thompson drives were shit for sure.
I honestly think now with modern die tech we will see less board level failures, still gonna have to deal with damn ROM drives though.

I'm buying the top load ps3 at least I can see what needs to be kept clean.

I've also never had a saturn fail on me except my AR 5+ 4MB cart is a bit touchy. I'm told the pins wear down on the cart port.

Last edited:
Got my new one today down loading all my games and its flying the old ones must be slower downloading this thing is flying.

All is well so far funny though I hit the limit for pending downloads didn't know there was one. And this week's free game is huge 18gb damn!

My launch one died this week as well. I had never had time to play the uncharted games and just picked up all three. Was halfway through the first one when it locked up and then went YLoD. So my original PS3 died, which was barely played, my original Wii died (while still under warranty), and the four xboxs I have going back to the original model all work fine.

Just my luck I guess.

I still have a launch PS2 in working condition, I think the PS3 just hates me.

Back