cageymaru

Fully [H]
The PlayStation Classic has been rejected by the retro community after it was discovered that the machine couldn't run the PlayStation One games sold with the system properly. The PlayStation Classic hardware seemed to be considerably slower than the SNES Classic, and thus the reason that it is now discounted to $59.99 on Amazon. ETA Prime on YouTube has been testing a beta version of RetroArch specifically designed for the PlayStation Classic. Although the software is still in beta, it already runs PlayStation One games better than the stock emulator! The PlayStation Classic still isn't able to maintain 60FPS at all times, but it is really close with the beta RetroArch build. If you purchased one of these mini consoles over the holidays and are a little disappointed in the power of the stock configuration, RetroArch might be worth looking into when it is completed. If you haven't purchased one, ETA Prime says that the $49 Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K has the same basic SoC as the PlayStation Classic, but runs at a higher speed. RetroArch already runs well on the Amazon Fire Stick 4K.

The PlayStation classic can run SNES SEGA GENESIS MAME and a ton of other emulator systems Using the all new port of RetroArch! In this video, I test out Retroarch on the Playstation Classic! it's an early public beta and not everything is working but we are able to use it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Because Sony are morons and put half the games on from the European PAL versions 50hz standard. I love Retroarch on my desktop, plays everything really well.

Not shocking; the ARM port of PCSX was never really fully optimized, and the latest releases should certainly run much better.

SONY, there's a reason their marvel movies suck. There's a reason I was rooting for SD over their small storage overpriced crap years ago. There's a reason Sony Vaio's infamously bricked just after warranty (requiring oven reflow as only solution that seemed to work). There's a reason I was rooting for HD DVD, over Blu Ray. They have their good moments, but they are one of the companies I can count on to produce some serious garbage, like crApple.

This is testament as to why I've voted with my wallet and haven't brought any Sony electronics into my home in almost two decades.

This is testament as to why I've voted with my wallet and haven't brought any Sony electronics into my home in almost two decades.

What? Sony makes a lot of overpriced electronics, but they still make a lot of damn good things. Their high-end TVs are still some of the best non-OLED sets on the market.

What? Sony makes a lot of overpriced electronics, but they still make a lot of damn good things. Their high-end TVs are still some of the best non-OLED sets on the market.

Good for them. They do make some very good electronics, but I will not support Sony, because of the bad corner-cutting shit they pull like this. Plenty of other brands that perform just as well, if not better, and for lower prices more often than not.

Disney owns Marvel. Sony has only licensed Spiderman to my knowledge.

You are correct. Marvel Studios owned by Disney makes awesome Marvel movies, the Sony and Fox Marvel movies are absolute trash in my opinion. And they ruined Apocalypse, one of the best bad guys in the X-MEN universe.

Good for them. They do make some very good electronics, but I will not support Sony, because of the bad corner-cutting shit they pull like this. Plenty of other brands that perform just as well, if not better, and for lower prices more often than not.

If I remember correctly, Sony was one of the early birds with the rootkit onto your system with autorun enabled from their software discs. Thanks for that too Sony.

You are correct. Marvel Studios owned by Disney makes awesome Marvel movies, the Sony and Fox Marvel movies are absolute trash in my opinion. And they ruined Apocalypse, one of the best bad guys in the X-MEN universe.

If I remember correctly, Sony was one of the early birds with the rootkit onto your system with autorun enabled from their software discs. Thanks for that too Sony.

Spider Man: Into the Spider-Verse was actually a good Sony movie. It might have helped they got Marvel involved on it.

The first two Rami movies come off a bit cheesy these days, but they are excellent Spider-man movies and are basically responsible for all the superhero movies these days.

Eh. I've always thought Apoc sucked as a villain. Always found him to be rather boring on his own with the best parts of any Apoc story being the Horsemen and the conflict they create when done well. The only time I really found Apoc interesting was when he was reborn as a kid and the comics had time to actually develop him.

Spider Man: Into the Spider-Verse was actually a good Sony movie. It might have helped they got Marvel involved on it.

I don't think Marvel Pictures was involved with Spider-Verse. Just Homecoming and Far From Home.

The first two Rami movies come off a bit cheesy these days, but they are excellent Spider-man movies and are basically responsible for all the superhero movies these days.

Eh. I've always thought Apoc sucked as a villain. Always found him to be rather boring on his own with the best parts of any Apoc story being the Horsemen and the conflict they create when done well. The only time I really found Apoc interesting was when he was reborn as a kid and the comics had time to actually develop him.

I don't think Marvel Pictures was involved with Spider-Verse. Just Homecoming and Far From Home.

Lol, Marvel is associated with the newest Spider Man. I mean I only saw it twice these last two weeks and Marvel is definitely on pre credits

Lol, Marvel is associated with the newest Spider Man. I mean I only saw it twice these last two weeks and Marvel is definitely on pre credits

Marvel is in the credits for ALL Marvel movies no matter what studio makes them. Difference is they're not usually involved on a production level like they were for Homecoming. You'd see Kevin Feige's name attached as producer if they were.

Edit: I somehow totally missed that the pre-credits said "In Association with" for Spider-verse. Was just talking with a friend that saw the movie today and they brought it up. I saw it over the weekend and that credit simply never registered as odd to me. However, looking at the other credits it still doesn't seem like there is anything pointing to them working together on a production level. None of the usual folks from Marvel Pictures are listed as producers. I wonder if the association credit had something to do with Sony being allowed to use Kingpin in the movie.

Last edited:
The only thing this tells me, is that in fact neither company makes any effort to preserve their past. It is shameful both companies used software from the internet to make millions... Too bad they can't be sued as far as I know, but they should be. Its completely disgusting Nintendo is knocking out rom websites while simultaneously benefitting from the work of said community, to the tune of millions. Same goes for Sony.. i dont know how active they have been in suing websites though.

Man poor Sony, at this point though with my switch running retroarch I've got all my game backups running great and have 0 need for these 20 game preload units. Awesome having 1 device for mobile emulation and TV emulation, makes game saves a lot easier to manage lol.

The only thing this tells me, is that in fact neither company makes any effort to preserve their past. It is shameful both companies used software from the internet to make millions... Too bad they can't be sued as far as I know, but they should be. Its completely disgusting Nintendo is knocking out rom websites while simultaneously benefitting from the work of said community, to the tune of millions. Same goes for Sony.. i dont know how active they have been in suing websites though.

Sued for what, exactly? Are you seriously going to defend people illegally distributing copies of something they don't own? There is literally not a damn thing illegal about what Sony and Nintendo are doing. You want to argue that Nin are assholes for being so aggressive while simultaneously using the exact ROMs they're trying to take down, then you've got a point. However, no, they should not be sued for protecting their IP no matter how dickish they are about it. ROM sites are 100% in the wrong and breaking the law, plain and simple.

Sued for what, exactly? Are you seriously going to defend people illegally distributing copies of something they don't own? There is literally not a damn thing illegal about what Sony and Nintendo are doing. You want to argue that Nin are assholes for being so aggressive while simultaneously using the exact ROMs they're trying to take down, then you've got a point. However, no, they should not be sued for protecting their IP no matter how dickish they are about it. ROM sites are 100% in the wrong and breaking the law, plain and simple.
For using emulators from the community.. they don't even have the decency to not do that. (Not sure if Nintendo used an emulator, the do use the retroarch front end apparently.

For using emulators from the community.. they don't even have the decency to not do that. (Not sure if Nintendo used an emulator, the do use the retroarch front end apparently.

No one has tried to specifically go after emulators since Sony lost their lawsuit against Bleem. Emulators are pretty much legally protected, as long as they don't include things like BIOS files for certain systems (though, that seems to be something that can be bypassed if the emulation team just creates their own BIOS) Nin seems to be using their own internally developed emulator for the NES and SNES Classic systems with a frontend where-as Sony is using a fork of the open-source PCSX Re-Armed.

RetroArch already runs well on the Amazon Fire Stick 4K.

That's hilarious!. Wow! We've come a long way for emulation, such a shame Sony fell back into the dark ages. Five to six years ago I remember still jumping thru hoops for high quality performance for PS1/PS2 emulators. Last winter I went retro for about a month or so and was amazed at how nice things are now. Such a shock to see Sony drop the ball so badly. They really missed a great opportunity.

Better to get the Amazon Fire Stick 4k, like he said. Better than jumping through hoops with the PSC, and have better features.
Only thing the PSC has that's I want, is the case. Would've been better if they had the dual shocks instead of plain digital pads.

Picked up one of these last night at my local Target using their Cartwheel app for $35 dollars.

SONY, there's a reason their marvel movies suck.

This is a contract thing. They have a perpetual license to make Spiderman movies, provided they release a movie every so often. Since Disney owns Marvel now, it's very unlikely that they'd get the license back if they relenquish it by not making a movie; therefore, if they don't have good ideas, it's time to do another shitty reboot, which you can probably milk into three movies.

Anyone running this with RetroArch? I wonder how it compares to the Raspberry Pi for performance. Mine can get some slowdown on some SNES games.

Anyone running this with RetroArch? I wonder how it compares to the Raspberry Pi for performance. Mine can get some slowdown on some SNES games.

The processor is the same as the Amazon Fire TV stick cut down to 1.5ghz , so roughly 3X the speed of raspberry pi 3. with 1gb of DDR3 RAM. Once you turn the PAL option off and run games in NTSC (North American Standard 60hz) , they all play at 60fps. Many Youtube videos showing you how to do it, I believe the system itself has a built in hidden option with the button combination of holding "Select" & hiting "Triangle" to bring up the menu system of the onboard emulator where you can select the between them, it even has a few other filtering options.

Last edited:

The CPU is 200 Mhz weaker than the Fire Stick 4K with the same GPU, when RetroArch is out of beta and fully ready to go it should run significantly better than a Pi. It definitely won't match the Fire Stick 4K, but it should be a decent lower-end emulation machine. 1st-4th Gen and MAME stuff should run good, PS1 games should be fine, N64 will probably always be iffy on a game-by-game basis, and anything beyond that will always be a no go.

If you're looking for a low-cost emulation system that performs better than the Pi I'd recommend the Fire Stick 4K. You'll need an OTG cable to add more storage, but they're pretty cheap.

Picked up one of these last night at my local Target using their Cartwheel app for $35 dollars.
Must have been a pricing error. Showing as $59.99 for me.

Price matched Amazon to $59.99 then used 40% cartwheel deal to get $35.99 or so? They aren't actually supposed to allow you to do that. The system lets you but policy says you can't price match and use a target coupon (which cartwheel is).

Price matched Amazon to $59.99 then used 40% cartwheel deal to get $35.99 or so? They aren't actually supposed to allow you to do that. The system lets you but policy says you can't price match and use a target coupon (which cartwheel is).

Manager ok'd it.

The CPU is 200 Mhz weaker than the Fire Stick 4K with the same GPU, when RetroArch is out of beta and fully ready to go it should run significantly better than a Pi. It definitely won't match the Fire Stick 4K, but it should be a decent lower-end emulation machine. 1st-4th Gen and MAME stuff should run good, PS1 games should be fine, N64 will probably always be iffy on a game-by-game basis, and anything beyond that will always be a no go.

If you're looking for a low-cost emulation system that performs better than the Pi I'd recommend the Fire Stick 4K. You'll need an OTG cable to add more storage, but they're pretty cheap.
I'll look at that since I already have controllers. Regarding the OTG cable, do you think one of those Amazon Basicss 4 port USB hub would work to allow wired controllers and a thumb drive?

I'll look at that since I already have controllers. Regarding the OTG cable, do you think one of those Amazon Basicss 4 port USB hub would work to allow wired controllers and a thumb drive?

Not sure. I know they have an OTG cable specifically for the Fire Stick, but not sure if you need that specific one or not.

Maybe I don't know how to use the app well, but where is the "40% deal at"? I searched the app and found the item for $59.99 with no mention of a deal or any coupons that came up.

Told the manager that it was retailing for $59.99, Target had it for $99.99 at the time, said I was there because the Cartwheel app had it for 40% off. They ok'd it an knocked an additional 40% off the 59.99, *shrugs*

Back