PlayStation 5 Rumored to Sport Ryzen 8-Core CPU, Cost $500

An 8-core cpu made at 7nm at Ryzen 7 2700 clocks without HT will have a TDP of just 30-40W. A GPU made for PS5 (Navi arch) will have a 100-120TDP and have at least Vega 56 performance (40-50% over the one existing in PS4pro). And this combo will be easily capable of 60FPS at 4K with a few tweaks in game settings.

I thought I read somewhere that Navi was going to be the GPU of choice for the PS5.

Anyhow, an 8-core Ryzen-based CPU would be a decent upgrade over Jaguar. I'm hoping B/C will be a thing and confirmed sooner than later.

at minimum 60% (IPC) improvement per core as I suspect nothing less on clock frequency.

Just release it and take my money already, as long as they include a 4k disc player this time around. The only reason I'm not dropping $$$ for a PS4pro is that it's simply not a good 4k solution. Great exclusives, but between no 4k disc & upscale I just can't pull the trigger for it.

I dunno, $500 does seem a bit steep to me. Sure, one could argue that the Xbox One X released at $499, but that was also the premium product of the Xbox One stack. Wasn't $499 what the original Xbox One (with Kinect) launched at? And that got curb stomped by the $399 PS4. Sure, software played a part in that but I'd argue that price also played a factor in Playstation's dominance.

Here's hoping SSHD becomes the new HDD standard for these next gen consoles.

The Xbox never managed to penetrate markets outside north america like PlayStation did. Xbox is also largely devoid of exclusives to drive sales.

The Xbox never managed to penetrate markets outside north america like PlayStation did. Xbox is also largely devoid of exclusives to drive sales.

Microsoft has been on a spending spree lately buying up studios. Not saying that automatically means they get exclusives worth a damn, but it only takes the right one to drive hardware sales.

Next gen should be interesting

Microsoft has been on a spending spree lately buying up studios. Not saying that automatically means they get exclusives worth a damn, but it only takes the right one to drive hardware sales.

Next gen should be interesting

I have no faith in Microsoft Studios, the trend so far has been buy Dev, release a slapped together title or two, and put a bullet in their head when they don't meet sales expectations. Maybe that will change, but it seems like Microsoft's staff (exec primarily) are currently incapable of learning.

$500 isn't too far off from the original Playstation's launch price when adjusted for inflation.

An 8-core cpu made at 7nm at Ryzen 7 2700 clocks without HT will have a TDP of just 30-40W. A GPU made for PS5 (Navi arch) will have a 100-120TDP and have at least Vega 56 performance (40-50% over the one existing in PS4pro). And this combo will be easily capable of 60FPS at 4K with a few tweaks in game settings.

I am guessing something similar: Ryzen 1700 or 2700 without HT.

I really hope backwards compatibility with PS4 games is a thing. It would be a really dumb decision if they don't do that. PS3 to PS4, I understand. Totally different architecture. PS4 to PS5 are both x86 based (well, if the rumors are correct.)

$500 for a console is really nothing theses days when people are snagging up $60+ base games with $20-$60 day 1 dlc every few months for the newest AAA titles. The cost of the console itself is quickly eclipsed by the cost of games.

3ghz zen2 8 cores, IO die + vega/navi with vega64/1080ti levels of performance all on 7nm. No idea what memory they'll do, shared GDDR6 via IO die, or expensive HBM2/3

I'm really curious how much memory this thing will have. If you look at the growth trend for memory from PS1 until the 4, well ... do the math. 144GB. I just cannot see that being reasonable (or necessary) in 2 years, even for true 4K.

PS1 - 3MB
PS2 - 36MB (12x more than PS1 )
PS3 - 512MB (14x more than PS2)
PS4 - 8192MB (16x more than PS3)
PS5 - ?????

Last edited:
I'm really curious how much memory this thing will have. If you look at the growth of memory from PS1 until the 4, well ... do the math. 144GB. I just cannot see that being reasonable in 2 years.

PS1 - 3MB
PS2 - 36MB (12x more 1 )
PS3 - 512MB (14x more 2)
PS4 - 8192MB (16x more than 3)
PS5 - ?????

PS5 - 16384
PS5Pro - 32768

Don't forget the always-connected-opnline "feature" so they can better understand the customers usage to provide a more pleasurable experience

While you joke, there was something within the last year or so about having a camera in the DVR box set to monitor people viewing TV to try to rate their enjoyment of current show.. and to watch to see how engaged they were with the viewing experience...

At best it will get GDDR5X. I highly doubt they will use GDDR6 with it's record. 16gB GDDR5X (256 bit) will have the same bandwidth as 12 GB GDDR5 in the One X while 12 GB of GDDR5X (384 bit) will offer the highest bandwidth.

At best it will get GDDR5X. I highly doubt they will use GDDR6 with it's record. 16gB GDDR5X (256 bit) will have the same bandwidth as 12 GB GDDR5 in the One X while 12 GB of GDDR5X (384 bit) will offer the highest bandwidth.

two 8GB high stacks of HBM2 would also provide ~512GB/s and reduce power/space, it all depends on if sony can secure cheap HBM 2 and interposer.

Damn, I was looking forward to the new controller. No way I am getting one if it has a camera. Why is everyone putting need mics and cams where they don't belong

What about the graphics? I don’t think AMD can make anything competitive with any type of reasonable power consumption for a console.

What rubbish. Maybe should check out their Ryzen powered APUs before making such ridiculous claims

And games then were $60 and still cost $60.

No, they're not. They're making up the inflation difference with over-the-top micro-transactions and premium editions.

It's not just about buying power, it's about perception of value. I still think of $500 today as I did in 2006, and I think many other people do too

That's nice, but not realistic. If we're talking about pure value, the hardware on a $500 PS5 will destroy a relative $765 PS3. The PS5 will not fail at $500 but you're entitled to your opinion. I don't have a horse in this console race.

Random guess: I think the PS5 should launch with 4k/60 and HDR support. Could be a good selling point.

Considering the size of games, I don't think an SSD will be large enough. It would be nice if they had an SSD/HDD combo with dynamic swapping to-from for your current game's faster loading time.

The speculation of memory size is interesting. I'd bet it has no less than 16Gig of ram, but perhaps 32Gig would be better to support high resolution textures and future proofing.

Random guess: I think the PS5 should launch with 4k/60 and HDR support. Could be a good selling point.

Considering the size of games, I don't think an SSD will be large enough. It would be nice if they had an SSD/HDD combo with dynamic swapping to-from for your current game's faster loading time.

The speculation of memory size is interesting. I'd bet it has no less than 16Gig of ram, but perhaps 32Gig would be better to support high resolution textures and future proofing.
There is zero chance of maintaining 60fps true 4K in next gen games. The PS4 Pro can't even maintain 30fps at 1440p in some games right now. That means even if Graphics didn't improve all that you would be looking at needing a GPU two-and-a-half to three times faster and that doesn't look likely at all. Factor in improved graphics and you're right back to struggling at 4K 30fps.

$500 for a console is really nothing theses days when people are snagging up $60+ base games with $20-$60 day 1 dlc every few months for the newest AAA titles. The cost of the console itself is quickly eclipsed by the cost of games.

This is due to the "must have it now" mentality of young people today. Try waiting a year to buy some games and you will save a ton, especially around Black Friday. You also avoid the overhyped games.

Also, if you can't enjoy a multiplayer game without buying $20+ in add-ons, well that is your hang up. They really will not make you that much better and you will never be the best. Don't get pissed if others decide to buy the additional content for added enjoyment. No one is forcing you to.

New games have been $60 since the beginning of time. That is a pretty awesome deal by itself.

Small price to pay to continue playing great exclusives. I don't expect 4K/60FPS, but I expect great games.

Small price to pay to continue playing great exclusives. I don't expect 4K/60FPS, but I expect great games.

Personally I find consoles have had a negative impact on games. They used to have more depth, more plot, and be more intellectually challenging.

Now they seem designed for children with the attention span of a gnat, and I blame consoles for that.

Because of this I ahve absolutely no interest in playing any console exclusive. They are designed for the lowest common denominator.

I wish Xbox would just give up lol. Sony will kill them again. The reason Xbox can't get any exclusive titles is because no one is going to give up the hundred million dollars they can make with Sony. And the Japanese will never ever show loyalty to Xbox over the Japanese Playstation

This is due to the "must have it now" mentality of young people today. Try waiting a year to buy some games and you will save a ton, especially around Black Friday. You also avoid the overhyped games.

I wasn't complaining about game prices. I was just pointing out that $500 isn't unreasonable for a console.

If you're waiting a year to play games, you're a casual gamer and none of these things will matter to you. The fact of the matter is, by the time a game hits sale status the bulk of the player base has moved on anyways.

Personally I find consoles have had a negative impact on games. They used to have more depth, more plot, and be more intellectually challenging.

Now they seem designed for children with the attention span of a gnat, and I blame consoles for that.

Because of this I ahve absolutely no interest in playing any console exclusive. They are designed for the lowest common denominator.

I don't know what exclusives you're playing. The only games designed for the lowest common denominator that I can think of are Call of Duty, Battlefield, and MOBA/Arena games. Those aren't console exclusives though.

Games like The Last of Us, Uncharted, God of War, Detroit: Become Human, Until Dawn, Bloodborne, and Hellblade: Senua's sacrifice are just a handful that have deep plots, are difficult, and challenging.

Damn, I was looking forward to the new controller. No way I am getting one if it has a camera. Why is everyone putting need mics and cams where they don't belong

What rubbish. Maybe should check out their Ryzen powered APUs before making such ridiculous claims
Until you can show me something made by AMD that can compete with a GTX 1080 without consuming close to 500 watts, I call full on shenanigans to your post. You want to compare a 30w APU to a full blown next gen console GPU? LOL.

The graphics of the last few AAA releases have been outstanding...now I dont have a 4K tv, but what I saw was impressive for +5 year old hardware (PS4).

Hopefully we dont get to the point where games are graphical amazing...but gameplay/story has to take the back seat and be shit. GoW, Bloodborne, LoU, Spiderman, H:ZD, and RDR2 all have looked great in my opinion, but most importantly have had a stellar gameplay and story to back it all up....makes you not realize any graphical faults.

Until you can show me something made by AMD that can compete with a GTX 1080 without consuming close to 500 watts, I call full on shenanigans to your post. You want to compare a 30w APU to a full blown next gen console GPU? LOL.

Wait, there's a console you can buy that has a 1080?!

Last edited:
Highly doubt that. That is way too low. I am sure they can pull 3 ghz part 65w easy even on 14nm optimizes process. But I think they will probably build it on 12nm. Pulling like 3.2ghz base and likely more on 4 core boost.

Bone and PS4 both went 30w for CPU, and 60-90w for the GPU. half the power consumption of their predecessors at launch (So you could stand to be in the same room as them).

Expect the same for the PS5, so either 8 cores at 2.2 GHz, or 4 cores at 3 GHz. I would expect them to go with more cores at lower clocks, as they can bump the clocks up every time they have a die shrink.

Wait, there's a console you can buy that has a 1080?!
Well what would be the point in Sony releasing the PS5 with anything less powerful than a GTX 1080? The Xbox One X is already about as powerful as a GTX 1070.

I don't know what exclusives you're playing. The only games designed for the lowest common denominator that I can think of are Call of Duty, Battlefield, and MOBA/Arena games. Those aren't console exclusives though.

Games like The Last of Us, Uncharted, God of War, Detroit: Become Human, Until Dawn, Bloodborne, and Hellblade: Senua's sacrifice are just a handful that have deep plots, are difficult, and challenging.
He didnt play any of them. He one them closed minded PC Master race people.

Back