PlayStation 5 Rumored to Sport Ryzen 8-Core CPU, Cost $500

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The same redditor who accurately leaked Sony’s 2019 E3 plans (or lack thereof) claims the PlayStation 5 will be powered by an 8-core AMD Ryzen processor, cost $500, and feature a new Dual Shock controller with integrated camera. He also disclosed the existence of a PSVR 2, which won’t have a breaker box, as those components will be built into the PS5. New PS Move controllers and a “glove” device were also mentioned.

For games, RuthenicCookie said that the last PlayStation 4 games, including Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II, and Ghost of Tsushima, will launch titles for the PlayStation 5. Backwards compatibility for the PlayStation 5 remains unclear, but most of the late PlayStation 4 titles will also be released on the PlayStation 5. Anthem, the futuristic multiplayer shooter being developed by BioWare, will also apparently be delayed again from its February 2019 release date.

What about the graphics? I don’t think AMD can make anything competitive with any type of reasonable power consumption for a console.

What about the graphics? I don’t think AMD can make anything competitive with any type of reasonable power consumption for a console.

I thought I read somewhere that Navi was going to be the GPU of choice for the PS5.

Anyhow, an 8-core Ryzen-based CPU would be a decent upgrade over Jaguar. I'm hoping B/C will be a thing and confirmed sooner than later.

Reactions: GHRTW
like this
The real question there is, is it a 4 core 8 thread CPU, or a true 8 core? Either way yes, this is an almost unbelievable upgrade over the jaguar cores. I would think it;s actually a 4 core APU, as that will be in common with that they will be producing anyway at the time with mature process and features. This further begs the question...why? It's going to be a store bought, locked down PC in all but name.

The real question there is, is it a 4 core 8 thread CPU, or a true 8 core? Either way yes, this is an almost unbelievable upgrade over the jaguar cores. I would think it;s actually a 4 core APU, as that will be in common with that they will be producing anyway at the time with mature process and features. This further begs the question...why? It's going to be a store bought, locked down PC in all but name.
If it does use chiplets, it could have a cut-down I/O die with optimizations specifically for console use (don't need as many lanes for storage/usb/expansion). They could do that even if it weren't using chiplets, but it'd be more work to integrate it.

I thought chiplets and the I/O processor were only needed for AMD CPUs with more than 8-cores, so I'm not sure why that would be used here at all.
Also, if this is going to be 8-cores, it certainly won't be clocked at desktop-level speeds, and I would be shocked if it were due to the form factor, TDP, and GPU used, unless they aren't going with an APU.

While the GPU is important in the consoles, the CPU is what is holding back nearly all titles on the PS4/Pro, like Spider-Man, from achieving beyond 30fps, at any resolution.
Would also be nice if these new consoles will be able to push native 1:1 4K at 30fps (preferably 60fps) and 1080p and lower at 60fps across the board.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
With the talk of later PS4 titles making it to new consoles all I could think about was if RDR2 will take 18months to come to PC like GTA V did.
GTA V released on current consoles 1 year after debut, PC came another 6months later. GTA V released Sept 2013 iirc.

the the hardware moving this fast on consoles building a computer to game on seems like a better alternative.

at least you'd have an upgrade path instead of trying to pawn off a last gen console off on someone.

Would also be nice if these new consoles will be able to push native 1:1 4K at 30fps (preferably 60fps) and 1080p and lower at 60fps across the board.

I'd be thrilled if they just added a 30/60 fps toggle for 1080p where the graphical settings changed accordingly....

Next gen consoles should be more than capable of this.

It would have to be a true 8 core Ryzen to give a decent performance upgrade from a Ps4 Pro or XBOne X. They will need to target 4K 60fps for PS5. It will be a laughing stock if it can't achieve that when XBone X already does it in some games. A 4 core chip would be seen as a step backwards.

It would have to be a true 8 core Ryzen to give a decent performance upgrade from a Ps4 Pro or XBOne X. They will need to target 4K 60fps for PS5. It will be a laughing stock if it can't achieve that when XBone X already does it in some games. A 4 core chip would be seen as a step backwards.
Even 4 Ryzen cores with SMT (8 threads) would be a substantial improvement over 8 Jaguar cores, so it would hardly be a step backwards.
If they did go with 8 Ryzen cores, it would need to be clocked lower around 1.6-2.0GHz just to keep the TDP down.

Even 4 Ryzen cores with SMT (8 threads) would be a substantial improvement over 8 Jaguar cores, so it would hardly be a step backwards.
If they did go with 8 Ryzen cores, it would need to be clocked lower around 1.6-2.0GHz just to keep the TDP down.
That would entirely depend on their TDP budget. If they can allocate 65 watts to the CPU portion, they could easily push 3-3.3GHz on 8 cores with SMT. Even the first-generation Ryzen 1700 was capable of this efficiency.

Highly doubt that. That is way too low. I am sure they can pull 3 ghz part 65w easy even on 14nm optimizes process. But I think they will probably build it on 12nm. Pulling like 3.2ghz base and likely more on 4 core boost.

The GPU will have to be a massive upgrade from the PS4 Pro to really warrant anybody upgrading.

I would expect a 7nm navi based part would be a considerable upgrade. Vega doubled the stream processor count from the older polaris cards. Even if the PS5 chip only boosts an = number of cores to vega. It will still be double what is in the PS4 pro... built on a 7nm node instead of 16, and likely run at double the clock. It should pretty easily destroy either flavor of PS4.

As it will feature a Navi based GPU... its 7nm. As such they may well be able to go 8 cores with no issues running closer to 3-3.6ghz

If PS5 cost $500 it will fail. Their PS4 success must of made them forget about the PS3 launch.

If PS5 cost $500 it will fail. Their PS4 success must of made them forget about the PS3 launch.

Not sure how you are coming up with that. No it won’t fail. Xbox one x is 499. Did that fail? No! If it gives you nearly double the performance of ps4 pro. No that is not too much of a starting price. Keep in mind that’s starting price. They always tend to drop after a year or so. But I think for 500 with those specs they sell like hot cakes.

That would entirely depend on their TDP budget. If they can allocate 65 watts to the CPU portion, they could easily push 3-3.3GHz on 8 cores with SMT. Even the first-generation Ryzen 1700 was capable of this efficiency.

Highly doubt that. That is way too low. I am sure they can pull 3 ghz part 65w easy even on 14nm optimizes process. But I think they will probably build it on 12nm. Pulling like 3.2ghz base and likely more on 4 core boost.

As it will feature a Navi based GPU... its 7nm. As such they may well be able to go 8 cores with no issues running closer to 3-3.6ghz

You know, for some reason I kept thinking that the Ryzen 8-core CPUs had a much higher TDP at 3GHz than just 65 watts, but you are all correct.
Thanks all for pointing this out, a native 8-core Ryzen with (or without) SMT would definitely be possible to fit within that power envelope, especially with a Navi (or 2019) GPU. (y)

I dunno, $500 does seem a bit steep to me. Sure, one could argue that the Xbox One X released at $499, but that was also the premium product of the Xbox One stack. Wasn't $499 what the original Xbox One (with Kinect) launched at? And that got curb stomped by the $399 PS4. Sure, software played a part in that but I'd argue that price also played a factor in Playstation's dominance.

Here's hoping SSHD becomes the new HDD standard for these next gen consoles.

They SHOULD be shooting for 1080p 60 fps.

But I'd bet good money they're going for 4k 30 fps :(

Resolution+framerate are a developers choice and as such you should never expect 60fps unless it's a competitive multiplayer game, since it's much easier to market a screenshot.

Meaning that even with a much higher cpu budget, developers will most likely use those resources on physics /ai / etc instead of higher frame rates.

I dunno, $500 does seem a bit steep to me. Sure, one could argue that the Xbox One X released at $499, but that was also the premium product of the Xbox One stack. Wasn't $499 what the original Xbox One (with Kinect) launched at? And that got curb stomped by the $399 PS4. Sure, software played a part in that but I'd argue that price also played a factor in Playstation's dominance.

Here's hoping SSHD becomes the new HDD standard for these next gen consoles.

Ps4 was from a better regarded brand worldwide, was better specced for the lesser cost, better marketing regarding the consumers, the xb1 only had a chance on the US and a bit on the UK and even at same price on those markets it was going to be a worse choice.

Heck some peeps argue that software was on xb1 side, except for the terrible update system and install times. (I remember one big publication spent 6h installing a single game on launch day, a total shit show)

The gpu better be a Vega 56 / Navi or it will not be much of an upgrade over the One X (rx580ish).
For the CPU, a ryzen will help to go above 60 fps at lower resolutions, but the One X does fine holding 60 fps in most games with dynamic 4k (usually around the 1800p).

How powerful does it need to be to run a big censor box on all the ps games?

hat's next? Toilet paper with integrated camera?
Don't forget the always-connected-opnline "feature" so they can better understand the customers usage to provide a more pleasurable experience and then the slowly crept in rental model to make those pucker-induced pulses a little less just-passed-a-pinapple-like!!

Do not want.
It's hilarious that you think they give a damn about what you, the customer, wants! :p

Back