Playstation 5 is looking real good

eeeh, generation 8 wasn't really a war.

I probably should have said flame war . At launch they were even so the fanboys on either side were going at it. At least until it was fully understood that PS4 was superior hardware and was outselling Xbox 2:1.

hopefully this will do for UHD physical media what the PS3 did for Blu-ray...4K Blu-ray renaissance!

Sony adding a 4K drive has given it new life...

na, streaming killed it. Physical media sales are awful.

and before you counter with how great the picture quality is, people that can't tell the difference between bitrate starved netflix trash versus bluray... absolutely don't care about 4k uhd.

and before you counter with how great the picture quality is, people that can't tell the difference between bitrate starved netflix trash versus bluray... absolutely don't care about 4k uhd.

physical media will never become mainstream or have a huge market share but this will help extend it's shelf life and give movie studios more incentive to keep making physical UHD's for 5+ more years...basically this extended its end of life cycle

This is true but I am in the camp of fuck streaming. I have a 65" C9 Oled and went to see how Netflix 4k streaming looks. I got to say it looks and sounds like poop compared to a UHD Blu-ray. I like owning my media instead of renting.

Interesting...https://nl.letsgodigital.org/spelcomputers-games/sony-ps5-ssd-playstation-geheugen/

I miss the old cartridge days lol. I know this is for storage but I'm sure it would feel nostalgic popping one of these bad boys in :happy:

I’m sure this has to do with custom I/O but I was hoping for normal PCIE 4 NVMEs tbh.

I don’t like the possibility of Sony having full control over SSD expansion with proprietary technology. They’ve never done it right or to the benefit of the customer in terms of cost.

When I get home and if Disney + isn't available for my PS3 then I think I will have to get the 5, that 4K Bluray playback is a nice bonus too.

physical media will never become mainstream or have a huge market share but this will help extend it's shelf life and give movie studios more incentive to keep making physical UHD's for 5+ more years...basically this extended its end of life cycle

i suppose... I mean people don't even buy games on physical media anymore, and you can sell those back for a good portion of your investement after you are don playing them. If they analyze sales i bet they are pitiful for ps5 UHD disks

What I believe this will be a nvme drive used like a memory card. They will come in various different sizes and can just swap them out once one is full. You wouldn't need redownload/reinstall games this way. I don't like the idea and hope they keep with using standard user replaceable drives.

Last edited:
Doesn't change anything. My point is that Nintendo had the DS with 150 million units sold and the Wii which had 100 million units sold. With the introduction of smart phones the 3DS only has 75 million and the Wii U had ~15 million. Even with 41 million units sold for the Switch, it shows that Nintendo has fallen from a very high point. Certainly the Switch will eventually reach 100 million or more units sold before the end of its life, but it's a far cry from the 100+150=250 million consoles that Nintendo had sold at one point.

Nintendo doesn't want to make a home console as powerful as the Playstation or Xbox in fear of being totally destroyed by Sony and Microsoft. At the same time Nintendo doesn't want to get pushed out of the mobile gaming market by smart phones and tablets. Nintendo is feeling pressure from all sides.

The reason it's purely a mobile device is because it has a Tegra K1 SOC. That'll do for now, but once the PS5 is released the Switch won't be able to keep up. There's a limit to how much performance you can get out of a portable device due to heat and power consumption. I should know because I own a Switch as well, and modded both the hardware and software. I removed the thin copper sheet they put on the SOC, and put clean thermal paste as well as a thermal pad on memory because the Switch's are known to warp and make the plastic brittle from the heat it outputs. The K1 is severely under-clocked compared to other Nvidia Shield products that it's in. No matter what I'll still get at best 3 hours of battery life.

The reason the Switch can be a pseudo home console is because the PS4 and Xbox One were so weak in specs in 2013 that the SOC in the Switch can pull it off to some degree. But it is a weak console because my PC can emulate it on a single CPU core at full speed using Yuzu, with better graphics.
Nintendo Switch sales hit 36.87 million consoles, matching PS4's lifetime pace (July 30, 2019)

The Wii took 7 years to sell 100 million consoles. The Switch is currently on pace to hit that mark a year earlier.

I’m sure this has to do with custom I/O but I was hoping for normal PCIE 4 NVMEs tbh.

I don’t like the possibility of Sony having full control over SSD expansion with proprietary technology. They’ve never done it right or to the benefit of the customer in terms of cost.
Agreed. Smart on their end locking out the possibility of using other brand SSD's but sucks for us. It's always nice to have options.

Agreed. Smart on their end locking out the possibility of using other brand SSD's but sucks for us. It's always nice to have options.
It actually was surprising that they didn't go custom drives with the ps3 and 4 given Sony's history. The Xbox never had a easily user replaceable drive so I can see Sony following the trend. Also possibly they would do it is to keep control of the little to no loading they claim. They don't want Joe Smoe swapping out the drive with some cheap POS and complaining about loading time and other issues.

It actually was surprising that they didn't go custom drives with the ps3 and 4 given Sony's history. The Xbox never had a easily user replaceable drive so I can see Sony following the trend. Also possibly they would do it is to keep control of the little to no loading they claim. They don't want Joe Smoe swapping out the drive with some cheap POS and complaining about loading time and other issues.
That makes sense about swapping out internal drives but doesn't Xbox and Sony currently allow games to be stored on an external HD? I wonder if they'll abandon that feature for next gen.

That makes sense about swapping out internal drives but doesn't Xbox and Sony currently allow games to be stored on an external HD? I wonder if they'll abandon that feature for next gen.

I'm just imagining a RAID DAS (USB attached) that costs more than the console. Someone will do it...

It is, but the only way I would be ok with this is if somehow they completely changed how I/O works in the sense that they will be providing 10+ GB/s transfer speeds where NVMe PCIe drives (as a whole) wouldn’t.

Basically the current PCIe 4.0 drives max out at 5GB/s and the spec allows for way higher than that. So if 4 years from now they went the route we wanted people could get those first gen 4.0 drives and they don’t work right or are far slower.

That I can agree with, but they better be competitive with similar spec PCIe 4.0 drives on the market. If they pull some bs Vita memory card fiasco I’m going to be very annoyed.

I want to see them allow NAS storage tbh. It’s 2020, allow an external HD but also allow me to put games on my UnRaid 20 TB server on my 10Gig network.

Back