Playstation 5 hacked... twice

DukenukemX

Supreme [H]ardness
All PS5 root keys have been extracted. I know that piracy potential is the first thing that comes to mind but if I were Sony I'd be worried that someone ports Linux and you can mine crypto on it.

FDoUDczWQBAkPwB?format=png&name=small.png

Last edited:
By the time they can mine crypto eth might be proof of stake, and mining will probably collapse.

It doesn’t sound like either of them have plans to make the exploits public so it will be a while before anything comes of this. Flow0 will probably send his exploit to Sony as part of their bug bounty program.

I could be optimistic and hope that maybe that would ease up some of the GPU demand, and if consoles become even more scarce, maybe that will push Sony to go even further with their new PC gaming initiative.
It would probably backfire and supply would favor consoles even more than they are already do compared to dedicated GPUs.

When has crypto completely failed?
Well GPU mining isn't used for bitcoin, and would no longer be used for ethereum. So we're talking millions and millions of gpus that have to now do something. Flood all the alt coins and wreck them most likely.

It would probably backfire and supply would favor consoles even more than they are already do compared to dedicated GPUs.
Console at MSRP for people that will buy zero games/psnow account and so on or any accessories is probably a terrible deal versus high priced GPUs (if not a lost to some player involved) too.

I could be optimistic and hope that maybe that would ease up some of the GPU demand, and if consoles become even more scarce, maybe that will push Sony to go even further with their new PC gaming initiative.

That's not so much optimistic as it is fantastical thinking. On top of what others said... Sony makes money selling consoles (even the disc-based PS5 is already turning a profit) and the revenue from games sold on those platforms. A run on PS5s for crypto mining would not only do little to dissuade Sony from making PS5s, but would likely be shut down once Sony closes any patchable security holes.

By the time they can mine crypto eth might be proof of stake, and mining will probably collapse.

No, t will simply get in a fight looking for the next Etherium.

After Bitcoin ditched GPUs, they were hungry for something new - and that thing was Etherium!

Although Proof of Stake means you need to get more money to buy your stake, it doesn't mean that suddenly all miners will give up on compute (what happened last time wit the last big crash)

After Bitcoin ditched GPUs, they were hungry for something new
I think that's where we have a reckoning, more specifically in all the alt coins.

The timing also brings up some serious SEC violations, i'm still surprised they haven't shut down this whole thing yet.

I think that's where we have a reckoning, more specifically in all the alt coins.

But some of those people will see the shit profit-per-day with these early AltCoin wars, and go pay for more seed (through selling GPUs)

It's going to be a very strange GPU market in the early days of Stake (after Bitcoin, your only choice as AltCoin war, - but instead, you can sell your GPUs into more Stake)!

Neato. But even if hacked and "jailbroken", I only see Sony attacking any source publishing the hack, and also it having little to no affect on their current sales strategy of porting older exclusives to PC after sales have stagnated on console. A negligible fraction of owners would want to risk bricking their already scarce console to mine on it or whatever else while also killing its ability to play legitimate games (esp. online and from their own PSN library). And as someone already pointed out, the hacker seems more interested in collecting the bounty from Sony than releasing the exploit online.

I know I wouldn't bother with it at least, esp. since I have my own PCs and GPUs to mine with when not gaming at much faster speeds than current consoles.

"that someone ports Linux and you can mine crypto on it."
ah, crypto, the currency of hell. Everyone is so stunningly honest when it comes to crypto :barefoot:

Neato. But even if hacked and "jailbroken", I only see Sony attacking any source publishing the hack,
Yea but that hasn't stopped people in the past with PS3 and PS4.
A negligible fraction of owners would want to risk bricking their already scarce console to mine on it or whatever else while also killing its ability to play legitimate games (esp. online and from their own PSN library).
You don't believe that people aren't willing to risk a PS5 that has a fairly powerful GPU for $500 to mine on it? I'd buy a PS5 if I could install Linux on it and play PC games. That's a $500 PC, assuming one can find a PS5 for $500. It'll be a while before someone gets Linux working on a PS5 but it'll happen, and I don't see GPU prices going down anytime soon.
And as someone already pointed out, the hacker seems more interested in collecting the bounty from Sony than releasing the exploit online.
It doesn't matter since people are now aware that it can be done. It's just a matter of figuring out how these hackers were able to do it. Since there's more than one method of doing it, it's reasonable to believe that it'll be done again by another group. Obviously the first thing people will do it pirate games, which can be done relatively quickly. I guarantee you that Sony right now is shitting bricks and doing everything they can to release an update to prevent anyone from exploiting it. Meanwhile experienced PS4 hackers will keep their PS5's on this firmware version and will not update it. The situation gets much worse when the PS5 gets the same supply issues as PC GPU's because someone ported Linux and can now crypto mine on it.

Yea but that hasn't stopped people in the past with PS3 and PS4.

You don't believe that people aren't willing to risk a PS5 that has a fairly powerful GPU for $500 to mine on it? I'd buy a PS5 if I could install Linux on it and play PC games. That's a $500 PC, assuming one can find a PS5 for $500. It'll be a while before someone gets Linux working on a PS5 but it'll happen, and I don't see GPU prices going down anytime soon.

It doesn't matter since people are now aware that it can be done. It's just a matter of figuring out how these hackers were able to do it. Since there's more than one method of doing it, it's reasonable to believe that it'll be done again by another group. Obviously the first thing people will do it pirate games, which can be done relatively quickly. I guarantee you that Sony right now is shitting bricks and doing everything they can to release an update to prevent anyone from exploiting it. Meanwhile experienced PS4 hackers will keep their PS5's on this firmware version and will not update it. The situation gets much worse when the PS5 gets the same supply issues as PC GPU's because someone ported Linux and can now crypto mine on it.

Sony facilitated Linux support on PS3 for its first few years, so yeah that definitely didn't stop people. And even with that and the many PS3 server farms that came from it, those thousands of PS3 made up a pretty insignificant amount of total PS3s sold.

These hackers are doing this for sport only, not because they think the PS5 would be a viable alternative to a gaming PC or something. You know even if you can get Linux running on this, it's not going to have any functional GPU driver support. Just like the previous PlayStations even when the PS3 openly supported Linux installs; the GPU was basically off limits still and parts of the CPU if I recall correctly. PS4 goT open source GPU drivers working and some games were playable if your don't mind constant frame tearing and inconsistent performance. This will restrict their mining ability too of course, keeping it off the table.

And Sony and anyone with any IT knowledge already knows it's possible to hack Linux onto virtually anything if enough effort is applied to it. It would be pretty ignorant to think otherwise, so I don't think Sony isn't anywhere near "shitting bricks" given they never were when the PS4 was hacked. They're selling consoles and software at record levels regardless. The people keeping their consoles on their shipped software are the fringe hackers and enthusiasts that likely already have proper PCs to game on and are just doing it for funsies like the hackers are in OP.

I know I'd much rather spend a grand or so on a budget gaming PC now though than $500 to bother trying to play on a janky hacked-up console with neutered performance and stability compared to a similarly spec'd PC. Or you know.. just play on the stock console or even previous gen consoles with legitimate games running much better (consistent) than you'd get like this.

Last edited:
At this point I think the only difference between etherium going to Proof of Plutocracy and Practical Fusion Power Generation is that the former is only a perpetual ~6 months in the future vs the latter's 30 years.

And even with that and the many PS3 server farms that came from it, those thousands of PS3 made up a pretty insignificant amount of total PS3s sold.
I don't think Crypto was a thing during the PS3 era.
These hackers are doing this for sport only, not because they think the PS5 would be a viable alternative to a gaming PC or something.
Nobody cares if they do it for sport. They opened Pandora's box and now there's people racing to replicate their results.
You know even if you can get Linux running on this, it's not going to have any functional GPU driver support. Just like the previous PlayStations even when the PS3 openly supported Linux installs; the GPU was basically off limits still and parts of the CPU if I recall correctly. PS4 goT open source GPU drivers working and some games were playable if your don't mind constant frame tearing and inconsistent performance. This will restrict their mining ability too of course, keeping it off the table.
PS4 has working GPU support because AMD is lazy and just used used a similar GPU for other products. Because AMD has open source drivers for Linux, it's just a matter of time before someone does it. Admittedly Linux for the PS4 was no small task as the PS4 is not a PC in the traditional sense, so a lot of work had to be done to get the Sony stuff to work on Linux. Guess who did the root hack to the PS5 and ported Linux to PS4? That's right, Team Fail0verflow did it.

And Sony and anyone with any IT knowledge already knows it's possible to hack Linux onto virtually anything if enough effort is applied to it. It would be pretty ignorant to think otherwise, so I don't think Sony isn't anywhere near "shitting bricks" given they never were when the PS4 was hacked. They're selling consoles and software at record levels regardless. The people keeping their consoles on their shipped software are the fringe hackers and enthusiasts that likely already have proper PCs to game on and are just doing it for funsies like the hackers are in OP.
Piracy hasn't had any negative effect on console sales, like for the example the Nintendo Switch has both been hacked and emulated to death and it isn't slowing down Nintendo's sales. That being said this isn't about piracy so much as getting a cheap $500 PC in a market where PC's are hugely over priced, particularly their GPU's.
I know I'd much rather spend a grand or so on a budget gaming PC now though than $500 to bother trying to play on a janky hacked-up console with neutered performance and stability compared to a similarly spec'd PC. Or you know.. just play on the stock console or even previous gen consoles with legitimate games running much better (consistent) than you'd get like this.
You assume that people are like you in that they have $1k to spend on a PC. Lots of people don't have that kind of money and a PS5 turned PC would probably get you a better gaming PC for $500 than a $1k dedicated PC right now.

I'm always pleased to see breaking of proprietary systems like consoles. It would be ideal if those involved released the hacks to the community, but I can understand the lure of a bounty if sufficient. With luck there will be some sort of CFW available in the near future, ideally one that either allows the user to safely run homebrew/backups etc... alongside official stuff online (unlikely, I know, but similar to Wii / WiiU / 3DS ) or at least a safe way to switch between official firmware and custom firmware as desired (Switch style, and some PS3 CFW worked this way as I recall).

I admit I've long felt that the idea of a proprietary "console" is no longer necessary and should evolve into something better; it has always been a nagging frustration that in order to use the $500-ish device you bought as you choose, it means a jailbreak/CFW , and makes it incompatible with the system under standard use or worse sets you up for the hardware itself being permanently banned! Especially given the similarity to COTS PC hardware these days not to mention the frequent use of software APIs and engines cross platform, I can imagine that Nintendo, Sony, and (most of all ) Microsoft could do very well offering a "console" that's really a SFF/HTPC and uses common existing (variants) OSes and software platforms/stores. THis is one reason of many that I'm excited about all the buzz that the Steam Deck is getting and hope it succeeds. Its a portable gaming UMPC using a standard-ish (for mobile/low power) hardware and best of all a new ArchLinux-based SteamOS 3.x! Its not locked down in any way, you can load other games or software on it having nothing to do with Steam, all without losing functionality on your Steam account and content - no worry about a hardware ban! Perhaps its success, along with other factors, will encourage these companies to look if it is really the best use of their time and money to keep proprietary, locked down hardware and software.

Regarding mining, while I guess I could be a factor if I am correct that PS5's use an AMD RDNA2 GPU which has has great dollar value gaming performance, but isn't as suitable for mining compared to either the previous RDNA / Vega or especially Nvidia 3000 series. Unless the PS5s were massively cheaper and easier to get ahold of, I woudln't think them to be desirable for mining in particular. Still, having the ability to do so and jailbreaks/CFW in general is a nice move.

I don't think Crypto was a thing during the PS3 era.

Nobody cares if they do it for sport. They opened Pandora's box and now there's people racing to replicate their results.

PS4 has working GPU support because AMD is lazy and just used used a similar GPU for other products. Because AMD has open source drivers for Linux, it's just a matter of time before someone does it. Admittedly Linux for the PS4 was no small task as the PS4 is not a PC in the traditional sense, so a lot of work had to be done to get the Sony stuff to work on Linux. Guess who did the root hack to the PS5 and ported Linux to PS4? That's right, Team Fail0verflow did it.

Piracy hasn't had any negative effect on console sales, like for the example the Nintendo Switch has both been hacked and emulated to death and it isn't slowing down Nintendo's sales. That being said this isn't about piracy so much as getting a cheap $500 PC in a market where PC's are hugely over priced, particularly their GPU's.

You assume that people are like you in that they have $1k to spend on a PC. Lots of people don't have that kind of money and a PS5 turned PC would probably get you a better gaming PC for $500 than a $1k dedicated PC right now.

Shit, just realized who I'm talking to.

You're totally right dude, my bad. Consoles, and everything about them suck. PCMR and open source everything. Anything proprietary and licensed is bad, as well as anyone profiting from their own proprietary hardware or software.

Pirate on, bro. 🤣

Regarding mining, while I guess I could be a factor if I am correct that PS5's use an AMD RDNA2 GPU which has has great dollar value gaming performance, but isn't as suitable for mining compared to either the previous RDNA / Vega or especially Nvidia 3000 series. Unless the PS5s were massively cheaper and easier to get ahold of, I woudln't think them to be desirable for mining in particular. Still, having the ability to do so and jailbreaks/CFW in general is a nice move.
No, it's not any worse than RDNA1, it's just riding that massive cache to better gaming performance.

The PS5 Doesn't rely on that broken Infinity Cache - it's using standard old-school caching architecture, built n a 256-bit GDDR6 bus (because Infinity cache would eat-up too much die space for something that is essentially a 6600 XT)

https://www.notebookcheck.net/PlayS...-RDNA-features-may-been-cut-too.520747.0.html

This is the exact same memory setup as the Miner's Favorite (the RX 5700 XT), and thus has the greatest potential of being turned into a farm (use the CPU for ZCash, and the GPU fr ETH)

If you have the ability to load Linux on the thing, then you can do exactly the same thing people did mining on their PS3s (except this time, the standard x86 CPU and now-fully-accessible RDNA GPU means much higher profits)!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=26281.0

It's not as dense as a multi-GPU box, but you still can't argue with the $400 MSRP!

Last edited:

If Sony is able to patch both exploits via firmware the resulting exponential price increase on systems with older firmware would make them less appealing to miners. If you have to pay $900 for a moddable PS5 you might as well just buy a GPU for inflated prices.

So is this just a game piracy enabler? Or does this mean fuckers using aimbots in online games?

Or both? Or even worse than that, remotely hacking into them turning them into botnets or something...

So is this just a game piracy enabler? Or does this mean fuckers using aimbots in online games?

Or both? Or even worse than that, remotely hacking into them turning them into botnets or something...

All of it and more.

Right now, it means exploits exist and that’s about it. Until other people discover these exploits and release them publicly it doesn’t mean much of anything.

Sony facilitated Linux support on PS3 for its first few years, so yeah that definitely didn't stop people. And even with that and the many PS3 server farms that came from it, those thousands of PS3 made up a pretty insignificant amount of total PS3s sold.
Crypto currencies weren't a thing at the time, nor were the need for vastly powerful (at the time) computational devices outside of enterprise, corporate, or military markets and environments.
Things have vastly changed since the late 2000s, so this argument is anachronistic at best and has virtually no relevance in the 2020s.

I guarantee you, with the GPU shortages and crypto boom, not to mention the high need cost-effective processing power, PS5 consoles that can run *NIX will be gobbled up faster than GPUs are now, and in bulk.

These hackers are doing this for sport only, not because they think the PS5 would be a viable alternative to a gaming PC or something. You know even if you can get Linux running on this, it's not going to have any functional GPU driver support.
This statement is way off, as the PS4 running Linux had full GPU driver and hardware support and accessibility, and that was done back in 2016.
Drivers can also be modified, developed, and hacked/cracked to allow further feature sets to be accessible; this is hardly impossible.

Just like the previous PlayStations even when the PS3 openly supported Linux installs; the GPU was basically off limits still and parts of the CPU if I recall correctly.
We aren't talking about Sony's OtherOS locked-down hypervisor on the PS3, which I might add was made entirely legal in the early 2010s in a court ruling, so those with older firmware were allowed to continue to use OtherOS and Linux on their PS3 consoles entirely legal.
Also, the Cell CPU in the PS3 had one SPE disabled to allow for higher efficient yields by IBM, and one SPE was dedicated to running the PS3 firmware/OS.

Sony didn't like it because they were a loss-leader and selling the PS3 at a loss, so when the PS3 wasn't being used for games and Sony-exclusive software, they were losing money.
That was entirely on Sony, not the customers.

PS4 goT open source GPU drivers working and some games were playable if your don't mind constant frame tearing and inconsistent performance. This will restrict their mining ability too of course, keeping it off the table.
You have no way of knowing that, and that is subject to change in the future if true.

And Sony and anyone with any IT knowledge already knows it's possible to hack Linux onto virtually anything if enough effort is applied to it. It would be pretty ignorant to think otherwise, so I don't think Sony isn't anywhere near "shitting bricks" given they never were when the PS4 was hacked.
Again, the tech landscape has changed vastly since even 2016 as GPUs were not unobtanium at the time, and also 2016 was a much better year overall in terms of general quality of life compared to what the 2020s have become.
People across the globe are desperate, and the PS5 is a potentially lucrative option to make a profit, be it crypto or other technical services and functions that it may potentially serve at a relatively low cost.

They're selling consoles and software at record levels regardless. The people keeping their consoles on their shipped software are the fringe hackers and enthusiasts that likely already have proper PCs to game on and are just doing it for funsies like the hackers are in OP.
I don't know what era you are living in but it certainly isn't 2021, and no one who needs these to make a profit or achieve a technical goal are "just doing it for funsies".

This isn't solely about gaming, and good luck getting a "similarly spec'd PC" with today's GPU market.
FYI, it isn't 2009 and it certainly isn't 2016 any more. :borg:

Right now, it means exploits exist and that’s about it. Until other people discover these exploits and release them publicly it doesn’t mean much of anything.
What it means is that there is a way to do so, showing the world that it is possible and opening the floodgates on those with the need to do so.
While we don't know how to break into the entrance, the world now knows of an entrance to hammer away at... as long as a copy of the keys aren't being given out, for now.

PS5's are far more likely to be used with practical auto stereoscopic tvs than practical crypto.

PS5's are far more likely to be used with practical auto stereoscopic tvs than practical crypto.
For what the CPU and GPU performance the PS5 can net in regards to crypto, for only $500, that is a hilarious statement.

For what the CPU and GPU performance the PS5 can net in regards to crypto, for only $500, that is a hilarious statement.
I dunno, I reckon 3D tv's will be well into their next generation before I can use crypto at my local corner store.

Linus Tech Tips did a video where someone in China is already selling PS5 APU's as a PC for nearly $1k. It's probably PS5 chips that didn't make the cut and may have stuff disabled but it boots Windows. If a half broken PS5 APU can work on Windows 10 for $1k then I can easily imagine seeing Linux running on a $500 PS5. You also don't need a $500 PS5 as the $400 PS5 Blu-Ray-less version would perform the same but without a Blu-Ray drive. Who doesn't want an 8 core Zen2 based APU with RDNA2 graphics that is probably about the same performance as a RX 6600? As hard as it is to find a PS5, it isn't anywhere near as hard as it is to find a GPU for MSRP. And yes the crypto miners will be all over a Linux running PS5 quicker than you can click buy off Amazon. Piracy wouldn't be the key issue Sony has to worry about with these PS5 hacks.

Back