PlayStation 5 DualSense Controller Reveal

viivo

[H]ard|Gawd
Last edited:
Still going with the symmetric analog sticks, I see. The ones that make my hands hurt after 15 minutes. Here's hoping there will be a modern asymmetrical design soon after release if not alongside it. Hopefully they didn't fuck with the d-pad this time around just to be "different."

Still going with the symmetric analog sticks, I see. The ones that make my hands hurt after 15 minutes. Here's hoping there will be a modern asymmetrical design soon after release if not alongside it. Hopefully they didn't fuck with the d-pad this time around just to be "different."
your link is broken

Hate all you want but I like it better then the offset Xbox controller.

After going from a predominantly Xbox 360 player to mostly PS4 player in the next gen, I got used to the PS4 controller pretty quick and now prefer it over the Xbox controller layout as well. I esp. prefer it for non-FPS PC games too if just for the touchpad that I can use as a mouse and also the motion controls are nice with the adapter I have for my Switch so i can use it like a 2nd Pro controller on there and retain all functionality. The only thing that sucks about using it on PC is that most game (all of them I've played actually) show Xbox button prompts so it's confusing at first until you learn the real button mappings.

Despite most PS4 games not utilizing the gyro and touchpad input at all or to the extent that they could, I think it's technically and ergonomically the best controller on the market now IMO, so I hope they don't ruin that with the DS5. Just from looking at this teaser for it, it does look a bit more ergonomic, so hopefully that will alleviate some people's discomfort with it now. I'm glad to see they're keeping the touchpad as well. The biggest weakness of the DS4 is the battery life, though I've never had mine die on me after 6+ hour sessions either, I see a lot of people complain about it still.

After going from a predominantly Xbox 360 player to mostly PS4 player in the next gen, I got used to the PS4 controller pretty quick and now prefer it over the Xbox controller layout as well. I esp. prefer it for non-FPS PC games too if just for the touchpad that I can use as a mouse and also the motion controls are nice with the adapter I have for my Switch so i can use it like a 2nd Pro controller on there and retain all functionality. The only thing that sucks about using it on PC is that most game (all of them I've played actually) show Xbox button prompts so it's confusing at first until you learn the real button mappings.

Despite most PS4 games not utilizing the gyro and touchpad input at all or to the extent that they could, I think it's technically and ergonomically the best controller on the market now IMO, so I hope they don't ruin that with the DS5. Just from looking at this teaser for it, it does look a bit more ergonomic, so hopefully that will alleviate some people's discomfort with it now. I'm glad to see they're keeping the touchpad as well. The biggest weakness of the DS4 is the battery life, though I've never had mine die on me after 6+ hour sessions either, I see a lot of people complain about it still.

you need additional software to use the PS4 controller on PC..?

you need additional software to use the PS4 controller on PC..?

Well, it depends on what features you need and what programs you use. Steam has something of a built-in config that can handle DS4 independently for many games, but aside from that even on Win10 you either need to use the official Sony Playstation play anywhere dongle/driver bundle (which has its own limitations) or something like DS4Windows (the open source driver package - there are multiple forks of this, including the Ryochan7 build which is still updated - https://github.com/Ryochan7/DS4Windows ) ) in order to have it offer parity features in Windows and seamlessly work with games that expect XInput gamepads.

Aside from the Steam Controller (and Steam itself for that matter with its own config etc) sadly Nintendo and Sony really haven't put the time into making their controllers really work on PC the way Microsoft did. Sure, you can hook them up via Bluetooth (its own issue) and depending on your software you can map it with something like DirectInput generic style controls, but to really make it work as well Xbox or Steam controllers, for ALL the features (including gyro, wireless, audio etc.) it usually takes another driver/software package I've found. For what its worth Microsoft made themselves the "de-facto" gamepad on PC because of their use of XInput (even on Linux!) and comprehensive driver and software packages built in or easily available years before their competitors even bothered with making their peripherals work well on PC.

Regardless, its neat to see the new PS5 controller. I'm ambivalent on the symmetrical layout considering that even high end play on PS4 was often seeking asymmetrical (ie see the SCUF Vantage 2 controller, which was Sony's partnered answer to the XboxOne Elite series), but both layouts have their fans. I'm curious how many other features are built into the basic controller and if its a real advance over the DS4. WIll they make a version similar to the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 , with paddles, modded features (though frustratingly still no easy swap faceplates) and other high end gear?

Ugly, but I wonder how the ergonomics are. Very bold of them to drop the PS4 general shape, which is largely the same since the PS1. Liked the PS2 controller just fine but have adjusted to the 360 and Switch Pro controller, so I don't need the sticks to be aligned like that personally but I never had an issue with it. But again, will be interesting to see how long time PS players feel about the shape change.

ense-DualShock-4-Controller-Comparison-Differences.jpg

Wack.

idiots still haven’t learned to align the sticks the way MS does with the Xbox.

Or to make the triggers concave, not convex. The Xbox triggers manage to catch the user's fingers as the trigger is depressed, whereas the playstation triggers make the user's fingers want to slide off.

Well, it depends on what features you need and what programs you use. Steam has something of a built-in config that can handle DS4 independently for many games, but aside from that even on Win10 you either need to use the official Sony Playstation play anywhere dongle/driver bundle (which has its own limitations) or something like DS4Windows (the open source driver package - there are multiple forks of this, including the Ryochan7 build which is still updated - https://github.com/Ryochan7/DS4Windows ) ) in order to have it offer parity features in Windows and seamlessly work with games that expect XInput gamepads.

Aside from the Steam Controller (and Steam itself for that matter with its own config etc) sadly Nintendo and Sony really haven't put the time into making their controllers really work on PC the way Microsoft did. Sure, you can hook them up via Bluetooth (its own issue) and depending on your software you can map it with something like DirectInput generic style controls, but to really make it work as well Xbox or Steam controllers, for ALL the features (including gyro, wireless, audio etc.) it usually takes another driver/software package I've found. For what its worth Microsoft made themselves the "de-facto" gamepad on PC because of their use of XInput (even on Linux!) and comprehensive driver and software packages built in or easily available years before their competitors even bothered with making their peripherals work well on PC.

Regardless, its neat to see the new PS5 controller. I'm ambivalent on the symmetrical layout considering that even high end play on PS4 was often seeking asymmetrical (ie see the SCUF Vantage 2 controller, which was Sony's partnered answer to the XboxOne Elite series), but both layouts have their fans. I'm curious how many other features are built into the basic controller and if its a real advance over the DS4. WIll they make a version similar to the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 , with paddles, modded features (though frustratingly still no easy swap faceplates) and other high end gear?

thanks, gonna wait till the next gen consoles are out before deciding on which controller to purchase

Ugly and too bulky for my tastes. Original PS1 controller remains my favorite.

Meh, I don't think I'll be buying a PS5 anyway. Exclusives are on the way out, and what other possible reason would I have?

Meh, I don't think I'll be buying a PS5 anyway. Exclusives are on the way out, and what other possible reason would I have?

They're on the way out based on one game being released three years later? I mean if you want to wait and hope they'll release every game, eventually, more power to you I guess.

I’ll wait to see how it feels in the hand. I hope it’s still quiet when using it.

Depending on the way things go this year, I’ll probably end up with a ps5 before I upgrade my GPU. It hinges on what happens with GPU pricing.

They releasing a exclusive game 4 years later on PC and it is on the way out? I guarantee you that games like last of us 2 will never see the light of day on any other system.

They're on the way out based on one game being released three years later? I mean if you want to wait and hope they'll release every game, eventually, more power to you I guess.
I finished three games on the PS4 so far, two of which are now confirmed for PC. Yeah, that was a terrible investment. Tlou2 will make it four games in as many years. And you want to convince me that I should buy a PS5? LOL.

I guarantee you that games like last of us 2 will never see the light of day on any other system.
I bought the PS4 Pro exactly because that was the assumption about certain games now being released on PC.
I'm not going to buy a system I hate the control method of just because one or two games I'm interested in might not make it to PC.
Waiting doesn't concern me at all, I didn't play most games on the PS4 when they were brand new either.

If you see a gif of the ds4 and the dual sense superimposed you see that the colors are mostly what gives the illusion of change in the grips, maybe they are a bit thicker but at least from the top the grip is the same. The triggers did change a bit.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/intr...-playstation-5.1535361/page-24#post-257706606

That post has such gif and that's why I am linking it. That thread has an artist making mock ups for different color combinations + decals for the controller and imho that looks like easy money btw, (some heat transferable decals, easy to use with a hair dryer /heat gun in a small shop and sports fans would be in heaven, playing with their NHL/NFL/FIFA/Whatever branded controller).

I really liked the prototype PS3 boomerang design and wish that they had actually released that version. I think it looks super comfortable, especially with the d-pad tilted ever so slightly, and slick. Of course, people made fun of it and so it never got released.

boomerang-e1348517069798.jpg

I'm another who prefers the PS analog stick layout over the Xbox's. And I was using a 360 controller with my PC probably for some years before I got a DS4 controller. For PC usage, the DS4's track-pad is also useful to use as a mouse.

Last edited:
I really liked the prototype PS3 boomerang design and have wish that they had actually released that version. I think it looks super comfortable, especially with the d-pad tilted ever so slightly, and slick. Of course, people made fun of it and so it never got released.

View attachment 236351

I'm another who prefers the PS analog stick layout over the Xbox's. And I was using a 360 controller with my PC probably for some years before I got a DS4 controller. For PC usage, the DS4's track-pad is also useful to use as a mouse.

I dunno about that tilted D-Pad. I used to have a Sidewinder Gamepad Pro and its D-pad was tilted and I found it very awkward to use. Might've been the mushiness of the d-pad, but I remember it hard to play platformers or make accurate inputs using it.

product-81245.jpg

I really liked the prototype PS3 boomerang design and wish that they had actually released that version. I think it looks super comfortable, especially with the d-pad tilted ever so slightly, and slick. Of course, people made fun of it and so it never got released.

View attachment 236351

I thought that controller looked pretty nice too. The only exception being that the shoulder buttons look like they would have been pretty awkward and uncomfortable to use for any considerable length of time at the angle they're at. I imagine the trigger buttons would have been hard to get right on that sharp of a curvature as well and with how the L1/R1 buttons are situated.

I don't understand how anyone could like the playstation controller apart from familiarity.

When Sony added joysticks to their controller they literally just added joysticks onto their controller without adjusting anything at all. If you think the joysticks are ergonomically placed you're admitting the original controller design was bad. They should have adjusted the shoulder buttons and basically the entire layout to be more comfortable while using the joysticks. They did nothing but slap on joysticks. The design has barely changed since then. It's not ergonomic at all. They've kept it the same the entire time because it's what people are used to instead of making an actual good controller.

I don't understand how anyone could like the playstation controller apart from familiarity.

When Sony added joysticks to their controller they literally just added joysticks onto their controller without adjusting anything at all. If you think the joysticks are ergonomically placed you're admitting the original controller design was bad. They should have adjusted the shoulder buttons and basically the entire layout to be more comfortable while using the joysticks. They did nothing but slap on joysticks. The design has barely changed since then. It's not ergonomic at all. They've kept it the same the entire time because it's what people are used to instead of making an actual good controller.
I could never go back to using the "DualShock" layout after using this. The sooner Sony admits Microsoft's offset design is superior the better.
1586356348525.png

I could never go back to using the "DualShock" layout after using this. The sooner Sony admits Microsoft's offset design is superior the better.

I agree. Certainly hand size is the determining factor - if you have medium to large hands, offset sticks are unquestionably more precise (as much as analog sticks can be) and comfortable, especially during extended sessions. My time with a PS4 & DS4 was fraught with hand cramps after even short periods of play.

I agree. Certainly hand size is the determining factor - if you have medium to large hands, offset sticks are unquestionably more precise (as much as analog sticks can be) and comfortable, especially during extended sessions. My time with a PS4 & DS4 was fraught with hand cramps after even short periods of play.

Yar, just about to post that I get hand cramping from the DS4 controllers. They're more comfortable than the previous DS controllers (due to their size increase) but I really wish they would switch to the offset design like Nintendo and MS have going. At this point, it does feel like they're more for familiarity than function.

With that said, the new controllers do appear to have more rounded handles to them, maybe they'll feel more comfortable because of that.

Looks a lot more like an Xbox controller. Since the Xbox S from ~2002, everyone has been designing their controllers similar. Sony was just a late entrant.

Based on console sales for the last 20 years, i'd say they probably aren't idiots are they?

But screw all that data, lets listen to a guy on the internet, who probably doesn't play console games.
I'd bet most people aren't thinking of the controller when they buy a gaming console.

Based on console sales for the last 20 years, i'd say they probably aren't idiots are they?

But screw all that data, lets listen to a guy on the internet, who probably doesn't play console games.

Lmao, ok buddy

Looks good they tapered the grips so it might feel totally different this time around.

You are all just a bunch old bastards. I am 37 and never had cramping issues. Using PS style controllers since the PS1. Hell it is basically a extension of the SNES controller.

My hand does get sore after using a 360 controller for long periods, but never for the PS2. Though I haven't gamed for long periods on the PS2 in many years. I find the bottom of the 360 to protrude too much and it ends up hurting the area between my thumb and finger and the side of the finger as well. Maybe the specific area is off, but whenever I played a long game over a period of 3-4 days, that would tend to become an issue.

I find that the Switch Pro Controller which is flatter on the bottom doesn't have this issue for me.

Though I am not seeing how the PS2/3/4 style controller can cause cramping but if people say it is a problem then it likely is for them. But they're pretty much placed where your thumbs naturally sit. But since they're changing the grip shape and look, they may as well go ahead and just mimic the Xbox/Nintendo layout.

Back