PlayStation 4 sales hit 4.2 million as of December 28th

next-Jin

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/07/playstation-4-4.2-million/

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101317296

For comparison, Microsoft announced yesterday that it sold more than 3 million Xbox Ones worldwide by the end of 2013.

I retract my statement I made earlier about Sony beating Microsoft by 2 million and Nintendo's entire LTD by next June.

It's going to be a lot earlier than that. Especially on the Wii U front, it's LTD sales will be likely eclipsed by February-March time frame. I'm expecting Japan to push it over if it has not already went over by then.

With the Xbox One I think we will likely see moderate growth over the next 6 months but it's future releases in other nations likely won't change the tone of pace we are seeing now.

With the amount of advertising they have been doing I would hope they sold this many units.

PS3 sold like shit for years. Its way too early to call anything now.

It sold better than the Wii U did and they turned it around, we'll see how things pan out. One thing is for certain though, Sony learned from their mistakes with the PS3.

So over 7.2 million consoles sold just between the PS4 and XB1 in under two months. That is very impressive. I think this is a good sign for the industry and these systems. With big games coming for both in March (Titanfall, Watch Dogs, and inFamous) I wouldn't be at all surprised if they both eclipsed the WiiU's life time sales numbers by the end of Q1. Of course after that there is a pretty big dry spell until Destiny, unless Sony and MS have some surprises at E3.

Thank you very much for retracting your statement. It's really important to my life. Why do you care so much about how many of these sell? That's like, weird. Just buy one and play it.

Fantastic news. Between PS4 and XBONE people have really thrown a lot of money over the winter break :)

Now if only I can find one too.

213142.gif

It's kinda odd, but in keeping an eye out for XBox one, I've yet to spot a PS4 since launch day. Kinda glad I picked one up. (I've found XBOne in grocery stores and Radio Shack in addition to GS/EB)

I'm willing to bet that it would be a lot more even had they released at 399.

Without kinect

.... but with GDDR5, more GPU power, and better materials quality in the controller.

The last one is a bit annoying to me. I like the xbox360's controller quality vs just about every other unit for the current and past generation, and I like the xbox one's controller ergonomics (vs the same set), however, I don't like the later xbox360 controller plastics (at least the silver version with the twist d-pad; early versions up to ~2010/2011 were great), and the xbox one's are even worse. But, my friends are staying with the xbox platform, and it makes no sense for me to move off it. Yet I like the PS4 as a console more, and the Wii U as a concept (and execution; just something about Nintendo I like).

/uselesspost

Over 7 million in combined sales for the Playstation 4 and Xbox One is awesome news. Great start for these next-gen consoles and it's going to be a good year for gamers.

It sold better than the Wii U did and they turned it around, we'll see how things pan out. One thing is for certain though, Sony learned from their mistakes with the PS3.

It had peaks and valleys and much more frequently than the Xbox 360. It wasn't until the price was lowered to reasonable levels that it really took off.

I know the sales figures are 6 months projected but right now its WAY to early to call anything. I think it'll be this way for the first 2 years. Plus E3 will help give us all an idea what to expect for a while.

I really doubt Sony has fully learned from its mistakes. I'm sure there will be further fuck ups down the line. Sony has proven time and time again that it can not maintain momentum for very long before a bad decision gets throw into the mix.

I know it was different elsewhere, but the PS3 was considered to be a bit of a joke for its first year or two here in the US.
A lot can change over the course of a year or two.

Congrats to Sony. I think MS is at 3+ million now as well. That means that both Sony and MS are off to a great start this gen. That means our gaming industry is still healthy and booming well.. great for gamers.

On those 2 systems. ;)

I would argue that the WiiU has the better game library and better lineup for 2014 actually (considering whats been announced). I'll call it now, gamers are not going to buy both PS4 and XB1, then pay to play online for both. In time now, the WiiU sales will increase as the software portfolio increases and as consumers realize that in fact, the WiiU is the perfect companion console to another device, be it console or PC.

I know it was different elsewhere, but the PS3 was considered to be a bit of a joke for its first year or two here in the US.
A lot can change over the course of a year or two.

Thing is that a lot would have to change worldwide to change what in this case is really slower performance no matter how you slice it (the PS3 had slower performance because Sony thought that most developers would use the SPE's to do the graphics, and the gpu was added as an afterthought... we know how it worked in most cases... xb1 doesn't really have such a trick, and the performance gap is bigger.)

Also, then it would need to compete on cost, and this would be really hard to do as it is estimated that even without kinect the xb1 is more expensive.

This happens all the time, failed bets, it just happened to MS this time. They should just try and learn from all the mistakes.

It had peaks and valleys and much more frequently than the Xbox 360. It wasn't until the price was lowered to reasonable levels that it really took off.

I know the sales figures are 6 months projected but right now its WAY to early to call anything. I think it'll be this way for the first 2 years. Plus E3 will help give us all an idea what to expect for a while.

I really doubt Sony has fully learned from its mistakes. I'm sure there will be further fuck ups down the line. Sony has proven time and time again that it can not maintain momentum for very long before a bad decision gets throw into the mix.

I think they will both do very well, but as far as learning from mistakes I don't believe that primarily Yoshida, Cerny, Tretton and Hirai are going to change the tone anytime soon. Listening to interviews and diving into some keynotes and developer conferences it seems readily apparent they know what they want to do and how to go about getting there.

They know what happens if it crashes and burns, they don't have the money Nintendo has to recover from a failure.

^ I thought Nintendo didn't have a massive war chest?

As for Sony, I still feel they can make a product 95% perfect... but they have to screw up that last bit. It's in their nature.

I also will not buy any, "lower end," variants of any Sony products. I've learned over the past several years, if I even go one half-step down the Sony chain, lots of little corners are cut. That's why I bought a PS4 now, and not later, in anticipation of when Sony starts looking for crap to cut from the chassis (there isn't much to cut, TBH, however, they can still use cheaper plastics, as MSFT has). My PS3 slim is lacking SA-CD playback, for example, alongside having fewer USB ports (there are bunch of other things they cut, though I don't care for those functions).

I think Sony engineers are still among the best out there, but they have some unrealistic expectations of their own ability to meet a price-point. Finally, I still don't like Sony software (in just about any product I've used from them).

^ I thought Nintendo didn't have a massive war chest?

As for Sony, I still feel they can make a product 95% perfect... but they have to screw up that last bit. It's in their nature.

I also will not buy any, "lower end," variants of any Sony products. I've learned over the past several years, if I even go one half-step down the Sony chain, lots of little corners are cut. That's why I bought a PS4 now, and not later, in anticipation of when Sony starts looking for crap to cut from the chassis (there isn't much to cut, TBH, however, they can still use cheaper plastics, as MSFT has). My PS3 slim is lacking SA-CD playback, for example, alongside having fewer USB ports (there are bunch of other things they cut, though I don't care for those functions).

I think Sony engineers are still among the best out there, but they have some unrealistic expectations of their own ability to meet a price-point. Finally, I still don't like Sony software (in just about any product I've used from them).

I really doubt we see anything cut from the PS4 down the line. I mean, what are they going to cut out? The 2 USB ports? The OG PS3s basically all had PS2s inside them and multi-card readers. Pretty easy to cut those out for cost savings down the road. PS4 doesn't really have extra stuff like that.

^ I thought Nintendo didn't have a massive war chest

They had 6 Billion iirc at one point in the Wii's heyday but with the 3DS initiatives and the Wii U it's went down a few Billion. I couldn't give an exact number but it's not as much as it was a few years ago.

They have enough to keep the Wii U limping along until their next platform. Their next platform could bomb too and they would probably be alright, they are a very conservative company.

Over 7 million in combined sales for the Playstation 4 and Xbox One is awesome news. Great start for these next-gen consoles and it's going to be a good year for gamers.

not for MS it isn't considering that the PS4 is outselling MS at least 2 to 1 overall and it will get worse once the PS4 hits Japan. Anyone thinking that XBOne is going to sell in Japan is nuttier than a fruit cake

the fact that you can walk into a B&M or login to AMAZON and fine one easily is not good news for MS...

Besides, people who own a Wii U are also more likely to have 1 of the other consoles....and the way it is shaping up it's going to be a PS4 most likely

not for MS it isn't considering that the PS4 is outselling MS at least 2 to 1 overall and it will get worse once the PS4 hits Japan. Anyone thinking that XBOne is going to sell in Japan is nuttier than a fruit cake

the fact that you can walk into a B&M or login to AMAZON and fine one easily is not good news for MS...

Besides, people who own a Wii U are also more likely to have 1 of the other consoles....and the way it is shaping up it's going to be a PS4 most likely

PS4 at 4.2M and XO at >3M is NOT 2:1. Not even close...

actually...its 28.5%.

4.2m is 40% bigger than 3m

3m is 28.57% smaller than 4.2m

Comparisons go both ways, and the numbers differ each way as your base comparison unit changes, in the first example 3m is the base, in the second it is 4.2m

7:5 is a nice way to put it if you like round numbers.

Back