PlayStation 4 Pro Not Powerful Enough to Run Destiny 2 at 60 FPS

The Linked article says that Scorpio is for developers to showcase the best version of their title. . .I thought that was what pc was for :(

console gamers don't even know what 60fps looks like pffffft

If they can't scale back texture or geometry quality to get to 60fps, could they scale back the AI or physics?

No no no! AI and physics already sucks on most games. The worst thing you can do with a game like this that is mmo like, is make the enemies ever less tolerable to kill for the millionth time.

I don't game at 4k..so..I don't care. Not one of the displays I play video games on is over 55", so 4k is pointless.

"If making it ugly won't work, couldn't they just ruin the game?"

What is this shit? Are you serious

That's not how it works... Unless you have really terrible eyes. I can /easily/ see a substantial difference going from 1080p to 1440p to 4K on a 40" display. I could tell at 28". You don't need a 55+" display to make 4K "worth it" or noticable.

Lol .. I hear you there. yup.. I can tell a difference between blu and uhd on 40 inch Sammy 6300.

The vast majority of the world doesn't give a blind rats ass about 4K. Make the damned thing run a beautiful game at 1080p with a butter smooth frame-rate well over 30fps and most people will be absolutely thrilled.

4K looks better for sure, even on smaller displays, but most people don't know and don't care.

As long as something better than your thing exists, somebody on the internet is going to pretend that one is the minimum and yours is garbage. That's the internet.

"most people don't know and don't care." that is very true and the heart of the issue. it seems to be in any hobby. I guess nature of human. I'm hopefully in the next 2 month set up a saltwater tank, and its still amazing how many people think aquariums are so simple.

Last edited:
one thing I hope Microsoft will do. Destiny is a decent sized title and player base. I hope they work with bungie ( ironic) try to fix the game content disparity between xbox and playstation.

Technically, the ultimate gaming platform wouldn't have spyware or unnecessary bloat consuming resources.

Therefore the ultimate gaming platform for Destiny 2 will be Windows 7, or 8.1 with a start menu replacement.

Bungie/Activision certainly weren't going to limit their market by making it DX12 only and Windows 10 exclusive.
Dont forget, ms would prefer that the best version were the xbone since they get a cut per units sold, instead of windows, unless of course, the windows store takes off, which i hope it never happens.

Most pc's here wouldn't be able to run it at 60fps @4k. Some of you are underestimating what it takes to run 4k. You are going from rendering 2 million pixels @1080p to 8 million @4k.

Interesting that they don't allow the players to choose: I'd like 60fps 1080, or I'd like 30fps 4k, or I'd like to turn all the options off and run at WTF FTS, or something in between.

I mean, graphics options are a revolutionary idea. Obviously better to just pick one thing and run with it.

Interesting that they don't allow the players to choose: I'd like 60fps 1080, or I'd like 30fps 4k, or I'd like to turn all the options off and run at WTF FTS, or something in between.

I mean, graphics options are a revolutionary idea. Obviously better to just pick one thing and run with it.
My computer lets me d.... Oh were talking about peasants again.

If players wanted options, they wouldn't have bought a console.

most of ps4/pro and xbone owners are still running thier consoles on 1080p tvs. why is this even news and suprising people. yeah sony should not have plastered 4k with everying related to the pro, ms and scorpio will be the same, but peeps who are eating this shit up should know better

Over 400 Windows 10 installs, still looking on the network for all this spyware traffic everybody seems to be complaining about, I don't see any more data being uploaded to Microsoft than I do from the windows 7 machines. That aside even if they can't do a full 60 fps at 4K if they could get it so it never dropped below 30FPS at 4K it would still be a solid step in the right direction.

People just need stuff to bitch about so they had to start making up stuff. Just like the summer of the shark. There was fewer shark attacks that summer than the 10 years leading up to it but they needed something to get people to latch onto so we got the summer of the shark. Shark attacks everywhere, stay out of all water as you never know when a shark might just materialize and kill you. Same here, there was nothing wasn't enough things on the list to bitch about for why you should avoid windows 10 so people had to start looking for reasons. And they jumped to features that have been in OSs and phones for many years and versions and started to call it new and the worst thing out there.

People just need stuff to bitch about so they had to start making up stuff. Just like the summer of the shark. There was fewer shark attacks that summer than the 10 years leading up to it but they needed something to get people to latch onto so we got the summer of the shark. Shark attacks everywhere, stay out of all water as you never know when a shark might just materialize and kill you. Same here, there was nothing wasn't enough things on the list to bitch about for why you should avoid windows 10 so people had to start looking for reasons. And they jumped to features that have been in OSs and phones for many years and versions and started to call it new and the worst thing out there.
It's the most scared paranoid shit I've ever seen.

The real issue with the sharks was the year they teamed up with the weather system to move inland.

If players wanted options, they wouldn't have bought a console.

In fairness, some of us care mostly about exclusives. 95% of the reason I have the PS3/4 is because of Uncharted. I have a strange love for that game.

With consoles you have to temper your expectations. A great game is still great at 720p and 30fps. A terrible game is still terrible at 4k.

I assume that consoles at 4K resolutions would have some issues with frame rates. I also assume that at 1080p this game will most definitely run at 60fps. Which the title suggests that it will not.

Considering the use of p2p servers for pvp (reduced to 4v4), how popular can it really get on the PC?

Not surprised by this. The PS4 Pro specs are not really that impressive. I expect developers are going to have a lot more room with work with on the Xbox One Scorpio. Should work in Microsoft's favor greatly when it comes to multi platform games.

I don't game at 4k..so..I don't care. Not one of the displays I play video games on is over 55", so 4k is pointless.
Most pc's here wouldn't be able to run it at 60fps @4k. Some of you are underestimating what it takes to run 4k. You are going from rendering 2 million pixels @1080p to 8 million @4k.

Most PCs here? Son do you know where you are right now? We bang 10s and carry a minimum of 10k in cash at all times.

Just lazy devs. All they did was upscale the engine to 4K and job done. If they had actually bothered putting in some work they could have done 1080p 60fps since the game doesn't look amazingly better than the first one. Apart from resolution you would be hard pressed to see what improvements they made.

If MS could do Halo Guardians at 60fps on an Xbox One then surely the PS4 Pro could do a similar game at 60fps.

Last edited:
Blame AMD, really. Zen APUs can't come fast enough.

I dont think Zen can fit the power envelope required. Nor the die size either. This is why small cores exist and AMD have dropped them. So the question is, when will consoles be ARM.

Why does it always have to be 30 or 60? Obviously HDMI is limited at 60 fps, but if the Pro for example can't run Destiny 2 at 60 but it can at 30... well what about 40, 45, or 50? 45 fps would still look noticeably better then 30.

Why does it always have to be 30 or 60? Obviously HDMI is limited at 60 fps, but if the Pro for example can't run Destiny 2 at 60 but it can at 30... well what about 40, 45, or 50? 45 fps would still look noticeably better then 30.
0*B17jPOMzGD7qwDHG.jpg

Some games do. Sony gives developers the freedom to decide how they want to support the Pro. There are some game that have options that let users set whether they want to prioritize resolution over frame-rate or frame-rate over resolution. Heck, some games even include a mini options menu letting you enable or disable features.

I believe its because most tvs run at 60z. it has to be esily divided into 60. if not, you would get whats happening in that picture. this is also why with some 60hz tvs have slight judder with movies, because bluray/dvds they typically run 24 fps which doesn't divide into 60 pretty.

Well if Destiny 2 sucks as much as the first one, I don't see the big deal. This honestly just sounds like lazy development to me. The PS4 Pro isn't a next gen leap from PS4 or anything, so I don't see how any of this is surprising.

Destiny 2 decided to keep P2P hosting. Not going to put up with that shit anymore. I don't have to and I will put my fucking foot down. I can't believe I did that bullshit ages book and ordered that stupid shirt. I'm really quite disappointed.

It's going to be terrible just like the first one.

No wonder MS focused a lot of CPU overhead and CPU performance with Scorpio.

ARM cores are faster than Jaguar.
It's true, clock-for-clock the A57 is faster than Jaguar by about 1.2x.
Jaguar, being a low-power CPU from 2013, is about on par, clock-for-clock, with Bay Trail-D.

The CPU has to keep the GPU fed, not to mention run the game engine, AI, etc., and eight very weak x86_64 cores are just not going to do that very well.

You know I used to game on a PC and it is powerful I6500 with 1070gtx and 16 gb DDR4. But since I bought a PRO and PSVR I find I prefer the console I use an old Phillips 6 year old 42" and 7.1 Sony Reciever really nice quality video and sound and games work fine. This whole 4k thing looks more like pure hype to me. Damned if I'll spend any more cash on the NEXT big thing.....

You know I used to game on a PC and it is powerful I6500 with 1070gtx and 16 gb DDR4. But since I bought a PRO and PSVR I find I prefer the console I use an old Phillips 6 year old 42" and 7.1 Sony Reciever really nice quality video and sound and games work fine. This whole 4k thing looks more like pure hype to me. Damned if I'll spend any more cash on the NEXT big thing.....

No idea what you're talking about.

Uh, they could've made 4k60fps work if they designed the game with ps4pro limitations in mind... how people can't comprehend this is what I'm questioning.
I think the developers were fully aware of the limitations of the Pro console, but the reason for making 4k only 30fps was because if they were going to make it function at 60fps, they would have had to sacrifice the game's functionality and features itself, thus making it a lesser game; i.e. fewer enemies, data connections, less physics, etc.
They even said in the video that the GPU itself was fully capable of it, but that the limitation itself was the CPU, and there really isn't much of a way to work around that when there just isn't enough processing capability present to work with, and even software/coding efficiency will reach its limits when there isn't enough CPU to work with.

It would be like trying to pair a GTX1080 with a Socket 755 Pentium 4 - physically it can be done and it can run x86/x86_64 code, but no matter how efficient a modern game is, the lack of CPU processing is what will hold the whole system back.
Granted that is kind of apples to oranges, but the comparison in lack of processing capabilities is the same.

But why blame the hardware when you just agreed they could've made the game run at those higher frame rates?

Anyone can design a game that cannot run smoothly on any current console or almost any pc setup. Remember when Crysis came out and everyone complained about consoles holding back the pc potential? Everything is relative. They could've made it with less leaves or butt-humping or whatever that game was about, and people wouldn't have been the wiser.

Just seems like a silly argument to keep having over and over ad nausea... we get it, "hardware is not as fast as we all want", boo hoo... "console not powwow as pc", no shit dumbass... "I'm so depressed to be living in this echo chamber groundhog's day blame obama/trump for everything that crawled up my loose hemorrhoid infested butt hole hell", join the club my precious friend

But why blame the hardware when you just agreed they could've made the game run at those higher frame rates?

Anyone can design a game that cannot run smoothly on any current console or almost any pc setup. Remember when Crysis came out and everyone complained about consoles holding back the pc potential? Everything is relative. They could've made it with less leaves or butt-humping or whatever that game was about, and people wouldn't have been the wiser.

Just seems like a silly argument to keep having over and over ad nausea... we get it, "hardware is not as fast as we all want", boo hoo... "console not powwow as pc", no shit dumbass... "I'm so depressed to be living in this echo chamber groundhog's day blame obama/trump for everything that crawled up my loose hemorrhoid infested butt hole hell", join the club my precious friend
I wouldn't have used these particular words, but I agree.

As I said above, they could have made it run at 60fps by freeing up those CPU resources being taken, but it would have broken the game functionality itself. ;)

As I said above, they could have made it run at 60fps by freeing up those CPU resources being taken, but it would have broken the game functionality itself. ;)
Except their job is to make games work across multiple platforms. They make a game that the console clearly can't handle at the resources they want, then complain about it. It's kind of stupid.

Reactions: Youn
like this
Back