playstation 4... cancelling preorder toughts...

arr4ws

Supreme [H]ardness
I preordered a ps4 back in June when it was announced. I was excited until i realised most of the games coming out this year arent really my cup of tea. Now im thinking about cancelling my preorder and wait until some worthwhile games ( for me ) are released.

Im also thinking about just resell the damn thing at launch...

toughts?

Sounds bad, but I would just resell it. But, you might get it in the mail and change your mind too!

Yeah, definitely keep it. Worst case scenario is you resell it for as much or more than you paid for it.

Yar, I agree with the other guys. When you receive the box, and you're still feeling like you wasted money, well, you can easily sell it for profit. And if you end up being happy with your purchase, more power to you.

I would agree with the others here. Just decide to keep or sell when it shows up. You will at least get your money back if not more.

I have an Xbone Day One edition pre-ordered. Not sure if I'm going to keep it or not but it doesn't hurt as there is almost not risk in having it reserved. Amazon doesn't even require money down.

At $399 I think it's a pretty good deal regardless, myself.

I want to play the fuck out of a few games like FF15 (which may apparently get a PC release anyway?) but nothing too interesting so far. I never bought a 360 or PS3, but I think I'll find something to enjoy about this, as it looks like they're doing the vast majority of shit right so far.

I preordered a ps4 back in June when it was announced. I was excited until i realised most of the games coming out this year arent really my cup of tea. Now im thinking about cancelling my preorder and wait until some worthwhile games ( for me ) are released.

toughts?

I was having the same thoughts as you a few weeks ago. Preordered on Amazon the day it was announced. However, not a single game coming out in the next 6 months looks at all interesting for PS4. Plus, I have a bunch of games to play on my PS3 still. I just got GTA V as well, so I don't think I'll need a PS4 for at least another year or possibly 2.

I thought about keeping my pre-order and then possibly just reselling for a slight profit, but then I realized that I hate trying to sell things. I have a ton of shit sitting around my house that I've been needing to sell, but haven't done so.

I ended up cancelling my pre-order. I may have lost out on a bit of potential profit or saved myself the headache of trying to resell a console that nobody wants. Also, the thought of the PS4 just sitting on my shelf collecting dust until I actually find a game I want to play on it seems pretty stupid and a complete waste of money.

Ultimately you need to do what is right for you.

Am I the only one thinking the resale isn't going to be that high? Sony seems determined to pump out as many of these PS4s as they can.

Am I the only one thinking the resale isn't going to be that high? Sony seems determined to pump out as many of these PS4s as they can.

launch day units are going $150-$200 over retail on ebay right now

I'll probably sell mine may even try Craigslist to eliminate the ridiculous ebay/paypal fees

launch day units are going $150-$200 over retail on ebay right now

I'll probably sell mine may even try Craigslist to eliminate the ridiculous ebay/paypal fees

Are they selling is the question? People can charge as much as they want. Doesn't mean they'll get it.

I have both PS4 Xbox 1 on preorder, there are no games exclusive to the xbox that interest me at launch and several for the Ps4 I want I ordered a Knack bundle that game interests me, cross platform games at least at launch wont matter which console you get, and as far as first party exclusives Until halo 5 comes out Sony will have the games I want, however like so many others I have a ton of PS3 and 360 games to play, but I'll have the money in November so what the hell. , get them both.THe games I really want will come out in 2014 though.

Dude you can easily sell it for Double what you paid for around XMAS time.

Cancel the preorder. There's no guarantee that you'll be able to sell it for enough to justify the trouble. If you Ebay it, you would have to get at least $75 over what you paid just to break even after all the fees (assuming you just got the basic package and not a bundle). And I don't know about where you live, but here craigslist is a joke. I'd throw it in the trash before trying to sell it on CL.

Also remember Sony is delaying launch in Japan and other countries, so they can have more units available for the NA launch. So I don't think there is going to be as much of a shortage as people are thinking.

Cancel the preorder. There's no guarantee that you'll be able to sell it for enough to justify the trouble. If you Ebay it, you would have to get at least $75 over what you paid just to break even after all the fees (assuming you just got the basic package and not a bundle). And I don't know about where you live, but here craigslist is a joke. I'd throw it in the trash before trying to sell it on CL.

Also remember Sony is delaying launch in Japan and other countries, so they can have more units available for the NA launch. So I don't think there is going to be as much of a shortage as people are thinking.

Then depending on where you bought it, you can just return it unopened with no issues :) I vote keep it.

i ordered at futureshop ( a bestbuy branch in canada). I could return it 30 days no question asked.

Are they selling is the question? People can charge as much as they want. Doesn't mean they'll get it.

Seeing many go for $$599 ish range so yeah

Obviously some people have them priced way out there.

I'd be happy to make $100 on my amazon preorder honestly but I may just keep it as well.

toughts?

Cancel it if you can't afford to spend the money on it. Trying to resell it is likely to be a bad idea. You're likely to find that, when you try to resell it, you probably won't end up as one of the 10% of resellers that make any profit on it. Sony's got a problem with scalpers ever since the PS2, and you're likely to be competing with a large crowd of people trying to "strike it rich" offloading PS4s.

If you don't "need" the money, so to speak, and your pre-order allows you to return it for 30 days after delivery for all your money back, then you might want to hang onto it, then.

Seeing many go for $$599 ish range so yeah

Obviously some people have them priced way out there.

I'd be happy to make $100 on my amazon preorder honestly but I may just keep it as well.

You sure you're not seeing fake bids to try and drive up the price? That happened with the PS3 launch.

I've got my Launch Edition coming from Amazon, and I plan on keeping it for a few weeks until I decide if I want to crack it open, or just pass it off during Christmas to either a Craigslister, or someone in my close circle.

If you have a preorder, keep it. Worst case, you return it and get the money back.

Best case, you sell it for profit, or actually enjoy it :)

I would resell it. I was thinking of doing the same until the launch window is complete and we have more games then i'll buy one again. However, I know once I get that thing in the mail it'll be hard to control my geek and avoid opening it.

I'd keep it and make money. I already know of several people who were too lazy to preorder and now can't get one. I had a friend offer me $100 bucks for my pre-ordered unit. I guarantee it will be higher on launch day when people who preordered it at BB are unable to get their units because they oversold their allotment. This is GOING to happen based upon the conversation I had with the Best Buy I preordered with. They pretty much stated that even though I preorder 2 days after launch and was told I would get it day one, that they really don't know how many they will get and will be sending out emails the night before to the customers that are authorized to come pick them up.
Best Buy sucks. I'm glad I took out a little 'insurance' and picked up a Wal-Mart pre-order. The guy running the electronics department actually had a list of preorders and the order in which they were sold (surprising for a Wal-Mart). He said he was a gamer and was not going to sell one more unit than they were told that they would have - and he was holding each unit for 48 hours after launch for pre-ordered units). This was WAY more than I expected from a Wal-Mart.

...by the way, the launch lineup blows. They have 2 exclusive triple A titles - Driveclub and Killzone. They have Knack...Knack.

Then they have a bunch of games that are F2P right now on the PC and a bunch of little indie titles. The non exclusive titles are nice, but there is no compelling reason to buy a PS4 unless you are going to resell it at a profit.

...by the way, the launch lineup blows. They have 2 exclusive triple A titles - Driveclub and Killzone. They have Knack...Knack.

Then they have a bunch of games that are F2P right now on the PC and a bunch of little indie titles. The non exclusive titles are nice, but there is no compelling reason to buy a PS4 unless you are going to resell it at a profit.

By that logic, no reason to buy a One either.

When it comes down to it, people are just excited to get some new hardware.

I'm in a similar situation. The only games that look enticing to me is killzone shadowfall (a little less now because of the announced DLC-madness), infamous seocnd sun, and to a lesser extent knack and destiny.

some of those are almost a year after the damn launch... and if any of them get released for the PC (destiny?) i'd buy it there.

another thing that effects it is the new required paid multiplayer....

but I don't know if/when a price drop or bundle would be put together. Would I be waiting two years and buy the $399 console itself anyway?? I'm not sure if to cancel or to keep it.

I don't like selling or reselling things.

I want to play Resogun, The Order 1886, Infamous.
Also the prospect of not buying a single game on launch sounds viable with all the free stuff on PSN, day one.
I may end up doing just that, until the ones I want come out. Resogun is actually launch, I think...

You sure you're not seeing fake bids to try and drive up the price? That happened with the PS3 launch.

Fortunately, as time moves on, companies are getting better at having better availability. Either that, or each generation just has much worse launch titles so nobody wants to buy, but I'd bet the first choice.

Making a large profit typically comes when you pre-purchase something most people will want, but don't know they want at the moment. This is not the case with the consoles imho.

And if you don't have the quality launch titles to go with the system, having backwards compatibility really helps, which is also not the case with this new series of consoles.

I mean, I preordered both the Xbox One and PS4, but I can't think of a single title in the foreseeable future that I have any interest in (that I won't purchase on my PC instead).

The holidays will be able to drive up your resale of it. I'm having second thoughts as well, but you guys are right. You'll be able to sell it for a little profit if you time it right. And who knows, maybe you'll find that you really do like/want it.

You'll be able to sell it for a little profit if you time it right. And who knows, maybe you'll find that you really do like/want it.

I think timing will be the key. I have both systems (launch day editions) being shipped to me from amazon and plan on selling the PS4 to hopefully help pay for the Xbox One.

Keep the preorder. Hold onto the console until the last week before Christmas. Post on Craigslist for $525 and watch the results. Ebay is already a clusterfuck of preorder hell , you'll get screwed for sure if you go that route. Also since its a hot item and since its Christmas meet in a very public place with a friend near by just to be safe. Hell I would buy two of the most popular games to go with it and present them as an "option" during your sale. If they don't sell most retailers will accept them as returns (most of have Christmas extensions for such) without a hassle as long as they are not opened.

If someone or some parent wants to be lazy and wait til the finale week before Christmas to buy gifts (for others or themselves) then frankly they kind of deserve to pay a premium for your smarter and wiser choice in an exercise of patience.

I sold my preorder Wii during the last week of Christmas (I think it was 2006?) for around $500 for just the console. I also sold Twilight Princess for about $80 because it was out of stock. The parent I sold to was so happy to find a console and I was happy to pocket the extra money I would use for after Christmas sales.

The Wii was WHITE HOT that Christmas season , parents would have paid easily that much for a last minute Wii. If you really wanna push your luck you could wait til the last 3 days before Christmas , head to a local mall , bring a friend with you (just to have company) and hang around the local Gamestop. If you see someone exit that looks clearly disappointed you could offer them your last minute Day One PS4 for probably an extra 250 over asking price. Its a risky strategy but I once sold a Playstation 2 that way , just hung out by the Gamestop and offered it up with 4 games and it sold in about an hour. As long as you are not inside the store you are not soliciting.

That is extremely contingent on the ps4 being out of stock everywhere. With no killer app and most of the games being available on the ps3 and 360, I wouldn't be surprised to see ps4s on the shelves.

Killzone and knack won't move systems. I think Sony really tanked it on knack, the character design just doesn't look very strong.

Last edited:
That is extremely contingent on the ps4 being out of stock everywhere. With no killer app and most of the games being available on the ps3 and 360, I wouldn't be surprised to see ps4s on the shelves.

Killzone and knack won't move systems. I think Sony really tanked it on knack, the character design just doesn't look very strong.

Its going to be. Very limited amount of consoles for distro across all countries launching the console. People will do whatever it takes to make others happy on Christmas. If that wasn't true some poor dumb fuck wouldn't get trampled to death at Wal-Mart during Black Friday..

By that logic, no reason to buy a One either.

When it comes down to it, people are just excited to get some new hardware.

Forza is the reason to buy the One, unfortunately Gran Turismo 6 doesn't make the same case for the PS4. I have both on preorder and unless Sony has some decent exclusives in the pipeline, I'll be keeping the One and selling the PS4.

For a 5 is also coming out in the 360 though, and it already looks great in that platform. I'm sure it will be great on the one, but not a system mover

Last edited:
Back