Playstation 4.5

If Sony really is doing this, it won't change my experience. We'll just have games running at upscaled 2560p and 30fps.
Until they can give me 60fps, I don't care if if they're working on an 8K PS4.

It doesn't make any sense since any GPU that runs at 4k will be consider a huge upgrade, it is most likely PS5. I agree with Armenius, it does sounds like the devs are dicking around with Kotaku.

I wonder if Sony had some kind of plan in place to build in crossfire capability. That would be rad.

Yeah at 30 FPS =) I would be buying PS4 games if there were some good ones......

Yeah at 30 FPS =) I would be buying PS4 games if there were some good ones......

This. Bloodborne is the only PS4 game I think I've ever seen that I wanted to play that wasn't available on another platform. I'm not buying a console for a single game.

This. Bloodborne is the only PS4 game I think I've ever seen that I wanted to play that wasn't available on another platform. I'm not buying a console for a single game.

Destiny has easily made my PS4 worth it.

I don't mind 4K but it's hard to believe this would happen when most games aren't 1080p/60fps. Not to mention that existing PS4 owners such as myself would feel pissed off. I am hoping they would have a nice upgrade policy associated with this if it turns out to be true, but somehow I highly doubt this will happen. What'll happen a couple years from now? Developers want to take advantage of the new hardware but can't in fear of alienating the original PS4 owners? Or would the games automatically scale to the lower spec?

Honestly, this sounds highly highly unlikely to me. 4K content is so god damn sparse as it is it doesn't make any sense. I for instance want to see a lot less jaggies in console games before I can even think of 4K.

There is one rational scenario for a PS4K
If Sony developes 4K Bluray content and wants to push that as a standard they may take the tried and true path of integrating the BD player on a new revision of the PS4.
They *may* do this even though Bluray disc sales are slumping just to sort of corner the market on 4K home content. This would also give them a chance to add the PSVR capabilities to the PS4 under the auspices of a 4K revision. None of this would mean anything to the current gen power equation. I don't think they want to screw with the entire business model of console development.

If this is really happening (I still have my doubts), I have to think that it would be related to video content or upscaling only. There just isn't a feasible way to play games in 4K mode without making the hardware stronger than a high-end PC. That's even at 30fps and low details.
Upscaling and 4K Blu-Rays could certainly be feasible, though. Neither of those things would splinter the market all that much, and they wouldn't affect development all that much either.

Yup, if the consoles add HEVC 4k support, they're goign to need hardware acceleration. That GPU + CPU would get destroyed by HEVC 4k.

Even the Xbox One HEVC update was only targeted at reducing 1080p (HD) bandwidth requirements.

10-bit HD High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) platform support added

10-bit HD HEVC enables video streaming apps, like NetFlix, to use lower bandwidth to deliver HD quality video streams. 10-bit Ultra color increases the video color precision from 8-bits to 10-bits – with 8-bits you only get 16 million colors, but with 10-bit Ultra color precision you get 1 billion life-like colors that makes your video more vibrant.

I wonder if existing PS4 games would receive a graphic boost from the new system? Or will developers make games for the PS4.5 that also work on PS4 (with lower graphics).

I doubt resolutions would be bumped up, but it wouldn't be too hard to imagine steadier framerates.

Here's a eurogamer article hypothesizing PS 4.5 scenarios.

We know PlayStation 4.5 is real - but why is Sony making it?

Anytime I hear "WE know for sure." I always remember this cockup:

Nvidia G80 mystery starts thickening

I don't see Sony shipping faster hardware. They've never done a mid-life upgrade involing better performance in games, but on the Nintendo side of the fence. it's been meh

DSi introduced faster processor and 4x the ram while the most people saw was faster framerates. spotty game support.

New 3DS has the same problem - in most games the same old graphics, just faster framerate and load times.

Nintendo did pretty well with the DSi and DS Lite, which were allowed to co-exist, which extended the lifetime of the DS for a couple more years.

RiArvoY.png

But nobody actually used the new hardware for anything productive, and the fast abandonment is one reason the New 3DS has been a lot less well received. Sales have plummeted to half what they were two years ago.

But we're not just talking a crappy overclock here and simple memory bump - this is goign to be sold at a "new console" premium price when the old console is not even getting dusty in the corner yet. And unless they can get ALL developers onboard, this is just goign to be another failed mid-life upgrade.

Paying a $150 premium for this thing is poor value if you only see benefits in about a dozen games.

Last edited:
No company is foolish enough to release a new iteration this early in the "life-cycle" of current consoles.

Rumors are rumors, ignore them.

We aren't getting 4K games unless it's some indie low budget game. Far too many reasons both technical and market reasons.

I'm of the belief it'll mainly focus on 4K media and updated multimedia standards. Possibly incorporate the VR box and have a slight bump in power.

I discussed it a few months ago iirc about how PS5 should just keep the PS OS, controllers, and other peripherals and only worry about new hardware. Sort of like mobile OSs where updates apply to a number of generations. Still remain backward compatible with PS4, only difference would be logos on the dash.

Maybe Sony/Microsoft has a similar idea but where we differ is the time between launches. I feel 2018 would be good but it seems it may be 2017 maybe even 2016.

If they just add UHD blu Ray support and call it a ps4k I would buy one at 399.

Sony and Gamestop would need one hell of a trade-up program for me to do this. I would definitely do it b/c I need some content to finally take advantage of my 4K tv.

Wow, it looks like Sony is really gonna do it.
I can only guess that they know for sure that Microsoft is planning an enhanced XB1 and are hedging their bets.
Seems very odd to me. I know that Bluray sales are struggling and I expect UHD-Bluray would just be a momentary curiosity for most people.

Very odd. I wonder if Sony sees VR as so essential to its long term plans that getting the VR power into the PS4.5 is viewed as essential?

Wow, it looks like Sony is really gonna do it.
I can only guess that they know for sure that Microsoft is planning an enhanced XB1 and are hedging their bets.
Seems very odd to me. I know that Bluray sales are struggling and I expect UHD-Bluray would just be a momentary curiosity for most people.

Very odd. I wonder if Sony sees VR as so essential to its long term plans that getting the VR power into the PS4.5 is viewed as essential?

Maybe MS and Sony caught wind of the NX specs and they're panicking!

I wonder if they're having issues making their VR promises reality. It did sound a bit too good to be true. That combined with the desire to add newer media functionality would make sense.
I still see this as a have/have-not situation unless they offer some kind of massive incentive for existing customers, though.

Last I read the PS VR was crap compared to Rift & Vive, mainly due to the controllers and camera anyway.

Last I read the PS VR was crap compared to Rift & Vive, mainly due to the controllers and camera anyway.
huh. i havent read anywhere that it is "crap". Most reviewers said it worked very well, aside from the move controllers being awkward. Im mostly interested in the screen tech on the ps vr, even tho it is lower resolution than the Rift and Vive, most reviewers said the pixels you see on the Rift are not present on the ps vr due to whatever type of screen they were using.

huh. i havent read anywhere that it is "crap". Most reviewers said it worked very well, aside from the move controllers being awkward. Im mostly interested in the screen tech on the ps vr, even tho it is lower resolution than the Rift and Vive, most reviewers said the pixels you see on the Rift are not present on the ps vr due to whatever type of screen they were using.
This comparison doesn't have a whole lot nice to say about PS VR when comparing the 3.

The best VR headset, after a week at GDC

PS VR still has a while before launch though. Seemed their main selling point was price though. And if you need this PS 4.5 for better VR, kinda throws that out the window. Just don't see how a current PS4 could possibly play any demanding game well in VR though.

Sony and Gamestop would need one hell of a trade-up program for me to do this. I would definitely do it b/c I need some content to finally take advantage of my 4K tv.

So you would or wouldn't? If you're going to drop 399 on a UHD player, might as well get one that plays games as well.

If they do, they will be shooting themselves in the foot. I am sure some will buy it but most of them will just ignore it or jump to something better.

I'll buy a PS4K, *shrugs

Ever since getting burned with the 360 red ring, I learned to wait for a console refresh/redesign.

Maybe MS and Sony caught wind of the NX specs and they're panicking!

That would be a nice surprise. But honestly I would say these next moves are for Sony and Microsoft to lose. And honestly, even without making a refresh of their products (and frankly I think they shouldn't from a business perspective) they don't really need to do anything.
Nintendo is on the defensive. They have to make a product that people want. If Sony and/or Microsoft really go forward with mid-console product spec-bumps, they had better make a compelling reason why anyone should buy them and really ensure they don't piss off their install base.

I will be upgrading. This current PS4 is adequate for me, but it isn't great. A noticeable boost in performance would be welcome by me. If I am going to be gaming on consoles I want the slickest, fastest available. That is one reason I picked PS4 over Xbone. However if Microsoft came out and announced they were releasing a higher performance Xbone, one even faster than the PS4K, I might go with it and keep the PS4 for Sony games.

I still prefer MS's interface, especially on the social side of things. I'd welcome an Xbox comeback 100%.
To me, what I want most is a higher framerate. If they're going to keep pushing res over fps, I'll pass. That goes for both of 'em.

Back