PlayStation 3 Production Officially Ends in Japan

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
My fat PS3 from 2007 is still chugging along, but Sony has officially pulled the plug on the console’s manufacturing in Japan. Its 11-year run is pretty impressive, although the PS2, which debuted in 2000, was able to stick around until 2013 before being terminated worldwide. Some believe that the PS4 will also last for at least a decade, but the original has already been superseded even though it is only four years old…

That, obviously, means that there won’t be any more PS3s made for sale in Japan. Listings for the PlayStation 3 in the US and Europe don’t appear to have been updated yet, suggesting that this halt to production hasn’t spread overseas. Still, with Sony putting a cap on PS3 production in Japan, it probably won’t be long until that spreads to other regions. It’s been a surprisingly good run for the PlayStation 3, especially when you consider that it was third place in sales for much of the previous generation. Microsoft’s Xbox 360 was able to just edge it out in overall sales, while neither the 360 nor the PS3 could beat the Wii’s stellar numbers.

it all depends on if 4k content takes off. PS4 won't have a drive to play it, if people are still even buying physical copies at that point.

I miss my fat PS3. I loved the backwards compatibility for PS2, the combined library of awesome games was HUGE. Sadly it kept dying and I got tired of resurrecting it with a heat gun.

You know how old hardware, that is in good shape or working always sells for more than original cost on ebay...
Do you think if you bought one today --- off the shelf for $300 that it would be worth more than the same $300 investment's expected growth rate in 20 years?
I.E. you buy one new with the sole intent to sell it on ebay NIB in 2037

Here's a quick comparison using 6% return rate.
hmmmm

ps3.JPG

My PS3 is still chugging along. Use it for netflix and the PS2 functionality when i want to play one of my few PS2 games.

Though it's been running hot lately, think I need to open it and clean it, change the thermal paste, and heatgun it because some games artifact.

Still rocking my 60GB launch "fat" PS3 with backward capability.....

Love the thing.

The original PS3 was the greatest console i've ever owned. I bought the 20GB model when it launched, and it just screamed Premium. The build was fantastic, was heavy as a cinder-block, and the best part was that it could natively play PS1, PS2, and PS3 games. I feel like despite the terrible decision to over-engineer the thing with the Cell processor the launch PS3 was like a love-letter from Sony to their fans in-that it had the ability to play every single Playstation game ever released on a single machine. I remember even installing Linux on the PS3 because it had that functionality right out the box, and then using it in conjunction with "PS3 Media Server" on my computer to stream all my movies it legit could do everything. Be a DVD player, Blu-Ray player, played PS1, PS2, and PS3 games, media server functionality, and could even be used as a full-fledged Linux box with internet, printing and everything. Also, it had native Keyboard + Mouse control for the PS3 OS. I remember playing Unreal Tournament 3 on the PS3 with full KB+M support.

Point is that bitch was a beast and in retrospect if you utilized all these features it was well worth the $500 or $600 investment at the time, because it even was the most affordable Blu-Ray player when it came out and was the best Blu Ray player for years after launch. They stopped the PS2 compatibility back when Sony discontinued the PS2 officially because they weren't making the PS2's Emotion Engine chip anymore which was baked into the PS3's hardware.

I was sad when my 20GB finally died. Couldn't fix it either although I did try.

Still using my 60GB fatty, mainly as media center and bluray player.

The original PS3 was the greatest console i've ever owned. I bought the 20GB model when it launched, and it just screamed Premium. The build was fantastic, was heavy as a cinder-block, and the best part was that it could natively play PS1, PS2, and PS3 games. I feel like despite the terrible decision to over-engineer the thing with the Cell processor the launch PS3 was like a love-letter from Sony to their fans in-that it had the ability to play every single Playstation game ever released on a single machine. I remember even installing Linux on the PS3 because it had that functionality right out the box, and then using it in conjunction with "PS3 Media Server" on my computer to stream all my movies it legit could do everything. Be a DVD player, Blu-Ray player, played PS1, PS2, and PS3 games, media server functionality, and could even be used as a full-fledged Linux box with internet, printing and everything. Also, it had native Keyboard + Mouse control for the PS3 OS. I remember playing Unreal Tournament 3 on the PS3 with full KB+M support.

Point is that bitch was a beast and in retrospect if you utilized all these features it was well worth the $500 or $600 investment at the time, because it even was the most affordable Blu-Ray player when it came out and was the best Blu Ray player for years after launch. They stopped the PS2 compatibility back when Sony discontinued the PS2 officially because they weren't making the PS2's Emotion Engine chip anymore which was baked into the PS3's hardware.

My lauch ps3 was also backwards compatible with ps2/1 games but since it was a uk ps3 it didnt have the ps2 hardware inside, it was all done via software.

Still, I still have it and it was a great console, upgraded it to 500gig hdd put a few games on it and then put it in its box where it has remained since ablut 2009, still in mint condition, I did the same with my ps4, in its box in a cupboard.

To be honest, good riddance. This will allow devs to focus more on newer and more powerful platforms instead of trying to support this ancient hardware. Result is higher likelihood of having more polished and better looking games.

Yeah my fat ps3 is still chugging along as well. It's in the living room and my kid still plays it a couple times a week, or uses it for Netflix. That stupid thing sounds like a jet taking off when it gets hot.

I have a slim as well that's sole purpose is Netflx/Amazon streaming and bluray play back.

I have a PS3 and once that dies it is no more consoles for me. PC can do it all.

now that debs are making the same games for PC... Yes

Can't get Naughty Dog games on PC.. they're pretty much the reason I keep a Playstation around. Just swapped out my PS4 for a PS4 Pro though for some other other exclusives like Horizon Zero Dawn and the upcoming God of War and Uncharted games. Can't wait for the next TLoU though.

Indeed.. I was really sad when my 60GB PS3 died even though it only had software emulation for PS2 games, it still ran the well for the most part. I reflowed that thing like 4 times trying to bring it back to life and it would only last a few days or hours each time afterwards. I had to downgrade it to a newer PS3 Slim afterwards. It still highly annoys me that Sony has killed any inkling of BC into their consoles.. I know the PS4 could easily do software emulation of at least PS1 and PS2 games.

Also, speaking of using a KB&M on a Playstation, I did the same thing on the Half Life port on PS2. It actually worked really well and I think that's probably the best way to Play Half Life since the PC version never got the graphical overhaul that the PS2 version had. I had always hoped that consoles would adopt KB&M support for FPS games after that but it seems they'd still rather cater to the lowest common denominator nowadays.

Honestly, I never really liked my PS3. I still don't. It was, by far, my worst console purchase. Its mostly on me, I had a 360 and loved it, didn't need a PS3....but decided it was worth it for the then-new BluRay playing. It has many amazing plus points, build quality is world-class, the BD player is excellent, BC for PS2 games appealed to many who were deep in the PS2 lifecycle, and it had a free network. But as a modern console? As a game machine? It was a 27 fps machine with a really poorly thought-out network (it was free, and it felt it). I get why people loved it, I didn't.....I didn't hate it, it would have been more impressive to me had I not had its competition and wasn't deeper into the Xbox Live ecosystem, but in the end...much like the Xbox One today.......you know the game will play almost as good or equally, but there will be a concession on xbox (reduced shadows, lowered native resolution, etc)? That's how the PS3 felt to me, you know you buy one for the exclusives and they are pretty good/worth playing, but it's a system I envision never touching once I put it into the closet. But you know, your mileage may vary...and the PS4 is great hardware.

They didn't kill backward compatibility when PS2 production stopped. 2nd gen ps3 consoles had software PS2 compatibility built in. I had one of the 80gb models that had it. PS2 comparability ended with the slim units and ultimately with sonys plan to sell you PS2 games via their store rather than let you buy used discs. I do miss the fat PS3, the slim models and especially the super slim just scream cheap in comparison.

Just upgraded to PS4 Pro...

Horizon Zero Dawn is an excellent open world 3rd person game...

The beasts are actually difficult to kill and generally require you to setup traps etc. And I am one of those "grinder" players that do every freaking side quest before continuing main quests, to get the good weapons etc as soon as possible... which generally means I am over-levelled and don't need the best weapons by the time I get them lol.

Back