Playstation 3 Emulator Supporting Up to 10K Resolution

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
If you are one of those guys that likes to run a Playstation 3 emulator on your box, so that you can enjoy all those old games, RPCS3 now support rendering up to 10K. As you might guess, this can make some huge visual differences in game. I have started the video below at the Demon's Soul section which is most impressive. Vulkan API seems to be doing some very special things as well. Currently there are only 10 games supported. Thanks cageymaru.

Rendering a game in high resolutions such as 4k, while beautiful, is quite taxing on your hardware and there is often a massive hit in performance. However, since most of the workload for RPCS3 is on the CPU and GPU usage is low, there is a lot of untapped performance just waiting to be used. All processing is done CPU side, and as far as the GPU is concerned it is simply rendering 2006 era graphics (yes, the PS3 is 11 years old now). We’re happy to report that anyone with a dedicated graphics card that has Vulkan support can expect identical performance at 4k.

Who needs Shadow of Colossus on PS4 when this might make it look better on PC!

Remember when a company made a PSX emulator for the Dreamcast that made the PSX games look and play better on the Dreamcast and Sony basically litigated that company out of existence. Interesting that this exists.

Remember when a company made a PSX emulator for the Dreamcast that made the PSX games look and play better on the Dreamcast and Sony basically litigated that company out of existence. Interesting that this exists.

Assuming that Shadow of Collossus is digital-only on PC, the answer to your question is me.

I vagely recall it. I wasn't aware it looked better than a real PSX.

Interesting. One would think that the presumably rather low resolution textures the original PS3 titles used would be a limiting factor in making things look good at much higher than stock resolutions.

Wow, what they were able to pull off with Demon's Souls is jaw dropping. I've been completely out of the loop on RPCS3, but really impressive.

Demon's Souls = Playable ("Games that can be properly played from start to finish")
Red Dead Redemption = Ingame ("Games that go somewhere but not far enough to be considered playable")

If Red Dead Redemption achieves Playable status, I can finally dump my Xbox360 and PS3, since those two desert island titles are the only thing holding me back.

Last edited:
The pessimist in me is wondering how long until Sony will either buy out this person development or issue a cease and desist.

But hot damn, those shot looks great.

The pessimist in me is wondering how long until Sony will either buy out this person development or issue a cease and desist.

But hot damn, those shot looks great.
They can't cause they've done this shit with Bleem! and VGS and lost. Emulation is perfectly legal.

Wow, what they were able to pull off with Demon's Souls is jaw dropping. I've been completely out of the loop on RPCS3, but really impressive.

Demon's Souls = Playable ("Games that can be properly played from start to finish")
Red Dead Redemption = Ingame ("Games that go somewhere but not far enough to be considered playable")

If Red Dead Redemption achieves Playable status, I can finally dump my Xbox360 and PS3, since those two desert island titles are the only thing holding me back.
So with this emulator, can you pick up a copy of a PS3 game and play it on your PC, or do you have to torrent them to get a playable program? I'd totally buy RDR (if playable) if I could play it on my PC.

Why are these guys only making a fraction of what Team Cemu is making on Patreon, considering PS3 is significantly more popular than Wii U?

As for Demon's Souls .. it looks incredible. Shocked how much character fidelity is there behind the low resolution.

Jeez. I bought a copy of Demon's Souls for $10 that I still have yet to touch. Looks like it's time to change that!

They can't cause they've done this shit with Bleem! and VGS and lost. Emulation is perfectly legal.

Never knew that, but hey if Sony wants to go thru the legal route, they may end up just doing that to force the dev to stop or else fight a costly legal battle.

Wow, they've got 450 playable games
https://rpcs3.net/compatibility?s=1&p=8
and they're working towards more!

I'm keeping my PS3 just for the few games I play on it. I'll have to cross-check my games, but, I just might not have to keep it around much longer!

Never knew that, but hey if Sony wants to go thru the legal route, they may end up just doing that to force the dev to stop or else fight a costly legal battle.

If they haven't bothered with PCSX2 during its 15 years of development I doubt they'll care much about this.

So with this emulator, can you pick up a copy of a PS3 game and play it on your PC, or do you have to torrent them to get a playable program? I'd totally buy RDR (if playable) if I could play it on my PC.
I dunno but I intend to find out.

This is going to certainly be an interesting one. The PS2 did have the ability to slap on a network adapter, but I don't really know of any games where it was a requirement. (FF maybe?) The PS3 on the other hand many of the games require a download of a bunch of content in order to patch the game to keep it up to date. I have to wonder for a game like Gran Turismo 6 where the patches actually add additional content to the game how that would end up working out. Would you just end up playing the game as it came on the disc?

So I downloaded and tried it out. That video is best case scenario only. I can get Demon's Souls up and running, but that's about all I can say about it. With everything turned down to 720p it kinda sorta works, but only in the most rudimentary of ways. It pauses at random to that point that it isn't realistically playable. Vulkan seems to lock most of the time when I go from a window to fullscreen, but it occasionally works. OpenGL works a little more consistently, but performance is worse.
You might be able to play consistently at 720p in a window with some specific hardware configs, but my OC'd 4790k/GTX1080 isn't pulling it off.
Still, it's not that bad for a very early alpha. I think I saw that video and expected something finished and polished. It's not.

Is this actually legit? I have never seen a ps3 emulator that was real and worked.
Yeah but it sorta came out of no where a few years ago. With the Cell it was a surprise. Reading the wiki it seems only recently has it really become useful.

technically all you need is a dvd-rom drive in your PC, and the emulator, and some real games, then you gotta dump the disc to your drive

so yeah, you don't need to pirate the games to use this emulator

demon's souls looks phenomenal, only downside is it's capped at 30fps and the game drops below that at times, and the audio stutters when the fps drops below 30

It's worth noting that BLEEM WON after going under, and it's that court case that made emulation explicitly legal. So pythic victory for Sony on that one.

This is going to certainly be an interesting one. The PS2 did have the ability to slap on a network adapter, but I don't really know of any games where it was a requirement. (FF maybe?) The PS3 on the other hand many of the games require a download of a bunch of content in order to patch the game to keep it up to date. I have to wonder for a game like Gran Turismo 6 where the patches actually add additional content to the game how that would end up working out. Would you just end up playing the game as it came on the disc?

Ideally, you'd eventually be able to connect to PSN and download the required patches to a virtual HDD. It's not unprecedented; Dolphin basically does this for Wii channels so it's certainly doable. Either that or you'd have to have a massive database of game updates that you'd have to manually download, which is itself legally questionable.

Either way, we're years away from that happening.

Hence, I downloaded this version last night.

technically all you need is a dvd-rom drive in your PC, and the emulator, and some real games, then you gotta dump the disc to your drive

so yeah, you don't need to pirate the games to use this emulator

demon's souls looks phenomenal, only downside is it's capped at 30fps and the game drops below that at times, and the audio stutters when the fps drops below 30

Blu-ray drive and only certain ones are able to read PS3 discs. They actually recommend dumping straight from a PS3 to prevent errors.

Did you know you can play Red Dead Redemption emulation on Xbox One? This one has more stable fps.

Based upon my experiences last night, there's no way I'd suggest this as a realistic alternative for playing PS3 games. Maybe someone rocking an 7900X can get things to work a bit better, but I couldn't get anything to run without hitching, pausing, bogging down, dropping FPS into the single digits, etc. Games work, but they aren't truly playable.
That's with things set to the default settings, which have visuals that only match the PS3.
It's an alpha piece of software. It's amazing for an alpha, but it's not truly usable yet. It might be the next Dolphin in a few months, but it's not there yet. No clue how online content will work, either. Demon's Souls is kinda sorta dead and it won't really matter for Red Dead.
Unless you happen upon some super cheap PS3 disks you want to stash for a later release, I'd skip this for a while.

If they haven't bothered with PCSX2 during its 15 years of development I doubt they'll care much about this.
They did 'bother' with it without giving credit, they reused pcsx2 code to make the emulator work on ps3 to sell ps2 classics. Proof was found when decompiling the ps3 to ps2 emulator code and having similar bugs in its emulation. I imagine this might happen in the future with this emulator as well with ps5.

They did 'bother' with it without giving credit, they reused pcsx2 code to make the emulator work on ps3 to sell ps2 classics. Proof was found when decompiling the ps3 to ps2 emulator code and having similar bugs in its emulation. I imagine this might happen in the future with this emulator as well with ps5.

Friggin hillarious! I didn't know that.

It's like that code they found in NV's Ansel last year.

I guess its true, if you can't beat 'em, steal it!

Back