Playstation 3 and TH-46PZ85E Plasma HDMI issue...

Elledan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2010
My housemate just got a new Plasma TV (Panasonic TH-46PZ85E, the E is for 'Europe') and used a new HDMI cable to hook it up to the PS3. The PS3 has worked fine so far with the multi-AV output to the old CRT TV.

Now, when watching a movie (streamed or DVD) and probably when playing a game as well (not tested yet), the sound and/or video will suddenly drop out for about a second or so at random intervals. When the PS3 is connected using the multi-AV connector this issue does not occur.

Is this a case of DRM (HDCP) messing with the connection and making it resynchronize the connection or something else? The HDMI connector is in secure and everything seems to point towards the HDMI connection being the culprit. Now, there have been HDMI issues in the past (not just with the PS3) but those seem to have been solved. Is this a new issue? Google doesn't seem to know.

Both the TV and PS3 are featuring the latest firmware.

Thanks in advance :)

Now, there have been HDMI issues in the past (not just with the PS3) but those seem to have been solved.

What were the issues and how were they solved? Because really there is not much to an HDMI connection, usually it works or it doesn't, and if you need to screw with it its a problem.

Try another HDMI cable first. You can get one for like $6 online or use someone else's.

Well, handshake issues or so... I saw some videos of it on youtube.

Anyway, we tried it in HDMI port 2 (HDMI2) instead of HDMI1, and that reduced the issue significantly... another HDMI cable is an option. We'll keep trying :)

I had a Maxent plasma TV with panny guts and had the same problem. I upgraded the PS3 firmware sent the thing in for service. They sent me a different PS3 back. Come to find out it was the TV not the PS3 that was the problem. There was some handshaking problem between the two. I tried both HDMI ports with the same problem. It kept getting worse and finally stopped working all together. That is when I returned that TV and got a different model. I haven't had a problem since.

Neo

i dont know who your cable proivider is but if its comcast you can go to your local comcast office and they will supply you with free hdmi cables. i just told them they didnt give them to me when i got my cable box and they gave them to me no questions asked.

I had a Maxent plasma TV with panny guts and had the same problem. I upgraded the PS3 firmware sent the thing in for service. They sent me a different PS3 back. Come to find out it was the TV not the PS3 that was the problem. There was some handshaking problem between the two. I tried both HDMI ports with the same problem. It kept getting worse and finally stopped working all together. That is when I returned that TV and got a different model. I haven't had a problem since.

Neo

Yup, my housemate has been on the phone with Panasonic and they admit that it's an issue with their TVs, so at least now we have something to go by :)

I'll let you guys know when I know more.

You could also try buying a receiver with HDMI ports... obviously not a free solution, but potentially a solution nonetheless. I myself have a denon AVR-888, different TV, but works like a champ.

Back