PlayOn DLNA Server - $15 - Yugster

This software is great.Using it on 2 360's. Had it on xbmc with some issues. Saved me $100 a month by kicking the cable companies out of the house.

Interesting. I wish it ran straight on the PS3, without the need for a PC as a middleman. How does this compare to boxee?

I have been using mine on my PS3 and it works wonders. I love watching NCIS reruns and Family guy on my tv whenever I want.

Interesting. I wish it ran straight on the PS3, without the need for a PC as a middleman. How does this compare to boxee?

It's not really the same thing. This just streams media to your media client. Boxee is a media client itself.

It's not really the same thing. This just streams media to your media client. Boxee is a media client itself.

Right. I use boxee, now, I was just wondering how it compared as far as user interface and features go.

I would still consider Boxee and PlayOn as two different beasts. Theres really no user interface (aside from the admin window). All this does is grab a stream from the internet, encodes on the fly and transmits to ps3 as a media server. Within the Ps3 you navigate like you would any other media on the PS3. You really cannot compare the two because boxee always wins, being a dedicated media client.

I would not pay more than $15-20 for this software anyway. There are constantly issues with it (not the developers fault) streaming internet feeds.Hulu/Netflix are always changing things around so that something becomes incompatible with this software. Now that there is a netflix disc for the PS3 the only thing this is really good for is hulu for me and last time I tried, it did not work well.

Have anyone of you that order playon last night have recieve the serial # or download link for playon??:confused:

I received my key and already registered my PlayOn with it, had 3 days of trial left so good timing, ordered yesterday early, and got it a few hours later. The page did say that the keys will be sent during business hours, so if you ordered late, probably get it today.

FYI

This deal is dead for those that were interested and didn't jump on it.

I have been playing with it, and it works wonderfully with hulu on my 360. Worth the money for watching a few shows on the big screen ;)

Been using PlayOn for over a year. It's usually SO good that I even cancelled cable, so it's saved me a LOT of bread.

On the other hand, PlayOn is also very much a roller coaster ride. Sometimes it works flawlessly-other times it barely works at all, and there appears to be no particular rhyme nor reason as to why this is or ought to be.

I still recommend it, but my advice is: Don't expect perfection.

Back