Playing videos causes crashes :(

Astralogic

Gawd
Hi, I'm running Windows 8, and whenever I play a video file I can put it full screen and watch it, but if I move the mouse the videoplayer will crash, no matter what video player I use and I've tried many. I do have a few second at the start of playback to put the video full screen and move the mouse around without consequence.

The problem less on non-HD video's, and streaming through YouTube etc plays fine.

This is an infuriating problem, does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

I would start with the video drivers if it crashes in multiple different players. Maybe even boot off of a linux live iso (like ubuntu) and see if that crashes with the same video.

Guys it doesn't matter what video player I use, they ALL crash (although AVI files seem to play fine).

I don't think it's anything to do with drivers as I've gone through at least the last 5 nvidia driver updates since this problem started.

Guys it doesn't matter what video player I use, they ALL crash (although AVI files seem to play fine).

I don't think it's anything to do with drivers as I've gone through at least the last 5 nvidia driver updates since this problem started.

Now that we know its not a single player related problem the problem must be elsewhere.

Did you install 'codec packs' or similar to the computer? An incompatible or corrupt codec pack can cause crashes. Do you overclock? Which OS you use (dont tell me its Win10).

I use windows 8, I do OC, but that's not causing this.

It could very well be a codec issue, although I wouldn't know how to solve that.

Some have said disabling hardware acceleration often fixes this problem, updating flash a close second. I looked up online how to disable hardware acceleration and my computer simply does not give me that option. (Windows 8, not 8.1).

I have had a bit of success, in zoom player I changed the renderer from Haalis Media Spliter to MadVR, the crashing has stopped but this renderer causes screen tearing, I'll go through all the renderers and see if any work perfectly.

Can you run dxdiag and save all information as .txt, then share it?

Between each of these steps, test :)

First thing, turn off your OC for this - we want to be at a known base state.

Second, do a memory test. The variety of problems could be memory related.

Third, make sure the intel graphics driver (onboard graphics) in your BIOS is disabled and uninstall/disable the intel gfx service.

If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll take a further look.

if I move the mouse the videoplayer will crash

So let's eliminate the possibility that it's the mouse or mouse drivers that's causing the problem.

I see in the dxdiag you have a Logitech g700s and a Razer Orbweaver; remove them both, remove their drivers, and use some other mouse if you have one handy. If you don't, use the g700s, but don't install Logitech drivers; it should work as a normal mouse with Microsoft mouse drivers. Test for the problem.

OK I ran memtest for one full pass it returned no errors.

I do have the intel GPU disable and the service disabled already.

Evilsofa, what causes the videos to crash is something visual happening onscreen. When the mouse is moved it causes the pointer to become visible onscreen, that's what causes the freeze not the movement of the mouse. If I do ANYTHING that has a visual effect onscreen that is what will crash it, whether its pressing the windows key or minimizing the video or just pausing it.

Knowing this do you still think it's worth trying what you said?

Edit: Also someone suggested I disable SLI to see if thast fixes it, I will test this. Also I am having some success using MPC with EVR renderer, it's not perfect but it IS much better.

OK I ran memtest for one full pass it returned no errors.

Note that 1 pass not good at all at finding marginal ram. You need to run memtest86+ in multithreaded mode for a day minimum.

igfxCUIService.exe is in your error log history. When did you disable that?

Hmm, I assume I would have disabled it after installing Windows and getting everything set up for the first time.

Do you think that service could be the problem?

Hard to tell, I'm just trying to eliminate some obvious system inconsistencies first before looking deeper. Doing an sfc /scannow would also be a good idea, to make sure system files are not corrupt.

Back