Playing Video & Games/Dual Monitor Windows Annoyance

S

spinaldex

So, I swung by the local Goodwill, and they had a 19" monitor (Dell/Sony) for $20! So I picked it up, and connected it to my 9800 Pro as a second monitor to my 19" Viewsonic LCD. I went ahead and installed Ultramon, which has got to be the coolest app for running dual monitors.
Anyway, the whole reason I've been wanting dual monitors is so that when I play MMORPGs, I can load up a movie on the second screen. Here's the problem:

Although movies play fine on the 2nd monitor normally, the minute you load up a game it stops working.I believe it has to do with the use of DirectX and DIrectShow by both Winamp and the games. The issue is that I have tried all the regular media players (WMP, WinAmp 5, BS Player, Divx player, etc) and have had the same result.
I thought that there might be a way to turn of the DX acceleration on the 2nd display forcing the players to stop using DirectX, but if you try to do it in DXDiag, it disables DX usage on the entire video card (*lame*) . . . so then I tried to turn of DX usage in the players, but I don't think they pay attention to the settings (those that even have them), because it still won't work.

So, long story short, I can't figure out how to get it to work. Has anyone else had luck? If not, how about a video player that DOESN'T use DirectShow, but can use all the regular codecs (Divx/Xvid variants, etc).

So I take it that no one has messed with this kind of thing before?
Does anyone know of any forums out there that might better to post this in?

I played around a little to try and find a solution. But about the best suggestion I have for you is to run the game in windowed mode. That was the only way I could get both going at the same time.

There are limitations on what you are trying to do, most of it is due to windows. if you are new to multi-monitors go read some at realtimesoft Multi-Monitor Resources http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/ ) Should help you out with a lot of questions...

Back