Playing too many games at once...what is this I don't even...

tzhu07

Gawd
How do some people play many games at once:

- you have to switch among different controls and gameplay mechanics
- the stories are fragmented and you have to remember where you left off in each game

I've always just powered through no more than two games at once. And with games that are heavily story-driven, I just play that one game's campaign until I'm finished with it. :cool:

I'm mostly talking about single-player campaigns in this thread.

Well, I don't mind switching between game mechanics it's not a big deal for me. The cool thing about playing through more then one game at a time is that if you get board a bit of one you can take a break on to another game.

I'm currently running through Max Payne 3 and Assassins Creed 3 and take breaks to play Black Ops 2 as well.

I agree with the two games rule; I find myself leaving games half finished if I take on too many at once. The trick is to put all your efforts into that one game until it's completed, wait a day then play another game. This works for me.

I main one or two mp games (that I've been playing for freakin ever) and I play one SP game at a time.

I do this. I end up with too many games in Steam sales that I want to play RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!! So I play them for an hour or two, and then they just sort of get lost in a handful of to be completed games. The changing gameplay mechanics don't bother me, but I often forget about story details that make things difficult. Open world games I'm generally ok with this (for example, I haven't touched Skyrim in a month or two, but I'm not done with it. I've got no problems jumping into it at random and just doing whatever quests I've got queued up). Anything linear I can get really thrown off though, so I try to get through the shorter-linear games while they are fresh, and save the breaks for open ended titles.

I gave up this practice a long time ago. I won't buy any other games until I feel I'm done with the previous. Sometimes its as simple as just playing through the SP and sometimes its hundreds of hours of MP.

But I can't afford to just load up on games whenever unless there is some kind of sale (and a good one at that) going on Steam or the like.

Agreed. I tend to play one game at a time, particularly if it is story driven. Though I'll admit to generally keeping a couple of MP games on hand, but I won't swap back and forth much. I get interested in one and stay with it until I'm nearing burn out... though there's generally a good new SP hitting the shelves I can take a break with before that happens.

The few times my backlog was deep enough I was trying to play 2 or 3 at once, I just found myself frustrated and not enjoying any of them. Of course, I'm nearly 45 now, so switching control schemes isn't as fluid as it used to be.

Well, I don't mind switching between game mechanics it's not a big deal for me. The cool thing about playing through more then one game at a time is that if you get board a bit of one you can take a break on to another game.

Exactly.

I need multiple games in different genres to fulfill different desires at different times. I'm seriously into magic (RPGs), but also blowing shit up (FPS), so I always need a few different games to go through or I get burnt on one.

Sometimes I get a little wonky if I've played one for too long and have to remember the feel and controls of another, but it only takes a few minutes to re-acclimate and then I'm fine.

In regards to story or getting immersed in a story, that's never a problem for me.

Right now, I'm playing FireFall, Dead Island, Path of Exile, still some Borderlands 2 occasionally, and some Planetside 2, Torchlight II on-and-off, back into BF3 after quite some time, and hitting Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, though the game has been getting buggy on me recently.

I'll also be in the Grim Dawn beta soon.

I'll be into Crysis 3 (most likely) and Aliens: Colonial Marines (unless it's complete trash) around the same time as well, both coming out in early Feb.

I was playing Far Cry 3 but it bored the hell out of me, I couldn't even finish it, and that annoyed me. So, that's now out of the mix, but I've got a lot of things I'm playing at once.

When DE:HR came out, I put countless hours into it, but still hit another game or two in-between, though not for long, since it had me totally sucked in.

I tend to concentrate on one game at a time until it's completely played out. Once I've finished the vanilla version,I'll look for mods if it's decent.

I play and finish a single game at a time. Switching between games means relearning mechanics and makes it harder to follow the story. I also don't see the point. If the game is good I'll finish it until I am done with it. If it is merely average, I will finish until I am done so I can uninstall it and be done with it forever. If the game is broken or flat out terrible I will stop playing and move to something else.

How do some people play many games at once:

- you have to switch among different controls and gameplay mechanics
- the stories are fragmented and you have to remember where you left off in each game

I've always just powered through no more than two games at once. And with games that are heavily story-driven, I just play that one game's campaign until I'm finished with it. :cool:

I'm mostly talking about single-player campaigns in this thread.

lol i don't have the attention span to stick to 1 or 2 games at a time, nor do i have the attention span to actually pay attention to the story.. i just play the games, if i get bored i quit playing the game and move on. at some point a few days months years later i might go back and finish it. there are a few games though i've played which are very good and i actually played through the whole thing in a few days.

I usually play one game at a time, but find that about halfway through I'm no longer playing it for fun, but because I need to finish it.

Since the holidays I have so many games I'm currently playing 5-6 right now, I like it better because it keeps each game fresh. I have a good memory so I don't forget the story-line or game play mechanics.

I ran into this problem with league of legends, world of warplanes, battlefield 3 and, dayz. the quality of my play has suffered in all of them for it. We have no one to blame but developers who have the audacity to make a decent game.

I have always only played 1 game at a time for the exact reasons in the first post

the people that play multiple games at once are usually the ones that never finish most games...if you devote all your attention to 1 game then it is easier to want to complete the story

the people that play multiple games at once are usually the ones that never finish most games...if you devote all your attention to 1 game then it is easier to want to complete the story

This is my problem. I used to always play just one game. Recently, I have started playing games like Planetside 2, Tribes Ascend, and Civ 5 along with the heavy story driven games and I haven't completed one in months.

I have always only played 1 game at a time for the exact reasons in the first post

If I try to play just one game, I'll never finish it, because I'll get bored to pieces due to whatever obstacle I might come across. It's usually better for me to play a bit of 4-5 games, that way I can have everything be fresh, all the time.

Back