Playing MGS V Would Be “60 Hours Of Humiliation” For Snake’s Voice Actor

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
David Hayer did a great job voicing Snake in past MGS games, but he seems to be acting a wee bit entitled here.

Hayter says that he ran into a producer on the game at a recording studio. The two shared a drink and Hayter brought the game up, asking if they should hammer out the deal, but was told that he wasn’t going to be needed. “That was basically it, and then I talked to Kris Zimmerman (Metal Gear English casting and voice director),” Hayter recounts. “She said, ‘We’re going forward, but it looks like they are going to try and replace you.’ They tried to do that before, and it never worked. They tried to get voice matches, and it never happened.”

Man who had only one game voice role to his name worth a damn upset that he was finally replaced.

If his voice acting was so "Versatile and unreplaceable" in the first place he would have a ton more jobs lined up.

Except he was replaced, it was done better by a man who is an actual actor and knows how to inflect emotions through speech and not Hayter's boring monotone droll, and this was the end of his career.

The salt must flow!

Man who had only one game voice role to his name worth a damn upset that he was finally replaced.

If his voice acting was so "Versatile and unreplaceable" in the first place he would have a ton more jobs lined up.

Except he was replaced, it was done better by a man who is an actual actor and knows how to inflect emotions through speech and not Hayter's boring monotone droll, and this was the end of his career.

The salt must flow!

More than likely he was just replaced simply because an actor = more sales. For whatever reason people in the US obsess over actors. Tacking on a Hollywood name will increase sales. I had no idea who the actor was who did MGSV or why he was famous and I don't care to find out either. But people seemed to make a big deal about it. Actors themselves are highly over rated. An actor almost never turns an otherwise bad movie into a good one. It all comes down to much more important roles. Actors are really low on the list of what makes a movie good yet they're obsessed over so much for some reason. The fact that some can go on and on with countless actor names just proves they're all about the same in quality.

I don't really care about that to be honest, but I do when it comes to game design. Soon we'll start seeing faces reused from game to game which makes characters feel the same. Likewise development costs rise as studios spend $1-2 million on a big name actor, which means more sales to make a profit... which means even further dumbed down games for a broader appeal. Not a good trend as far as I am concerned.

They went with a slightly deeper voice (closer to Sam Fisher in my opinion). He is actually easier to replace because Snake has fewer lines than the other main characters who traditionally dictate/narrate the story while Snake is often silent.

While MGS V is the best of the series and worth buying, the only thing I ever think about when remembering MGS is that silly sound that's played over the loudspeaker of Metal Gear & Sahelanthropus to break your immersion in the game, a T-Rex roar while the machine goes through a hydraulic seizure. That's a pretty good indicator of how serious their voice acting is to the story line.

Wait what? Do you watch cartoons? Actors matter immensely

No they don't. Name me a single movie that would have flopped had a different actor been chosen. Now spend a few hours typing out the endless list of movies with big name actors which flopped and sucked.

An actor doesn't make a movie, they fill a shoe. If the talent is up to par the movie will be good and you can fill in any number of countless big name actors. If the talent and direction is not there, no actor will save the movie.

Edit: It is also ironic you mentioned cartoons, as the thread is about MGS, a video game. The "acting" is essentially the same in a video game as it is animated films as only voice is used.

The salt must flow!
A cursory glance at his Wikipedia page would tell you that his role as snake is a small part of his career. Also he has done voice work for other games such as The Old Republic. He is a rather prolific screen writer. Since I doubt we will be seeing any more mgs games perhaps Konami just wanted to divorce him from the role so if /when they do another mgs they have already taken the bullet for dropping him.

Well, Big Boss =/= Solid Snake. Im happy to have the two have different voices.

To tell you the truth, I think Hayter's acting got waaaay over the top after thr first game. Watch the cutscenes from the original PSX title, then watch a cutscene from MGS3.

Like it matters, Snake only had like 10 lines of dialogue in the 5th game anyway. Hope Keith Sutherland enjoyed grunting into the mic for an hour. Game had no story, Kojima went all gameplay on the last one, kind of disappointing really.

Name me a single movie that would have flopped had a different actor been chosen.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with your opinion at all, but Aladdin could have been a huge flop without Robin Williams. He made that movie.

No they don't. Name me a single movie that would have flopped had a different actor been chosen. Now spend a few hours typing out the endless list of movies with big name actors which flopped and sucked.

An actor doesn't make a movie, they fill a shoe. If the talent is up to par the movie will be good and you can fill in any number of countless big name actors. If the talent and direction is not there, no actor will save the movie.

Edit: It is also ironic you mentioned cartoons, as the thread is about MGS, a video game. The "acting" is essentially the same in a video game as it is animated films as only voice is used.

The Shining. Without Jack Nicholson that movie loses it's energy, it's tension, and lot of the enjoyment of watching it. The directing and visuals of the movie are really good, but it's Nicholson's acting that brings it all together and sells it.

Reactions: rat
like this

I cannot imagine the Godfather with anyone other than the original cast and their roles. But maybe I'm picking an exception...

Like it matters, Snake only had like 10 lines of dialogue in the 5th game anyway. Hope Keith Sutherland enjoyed grunting into the mic for an hour. Game had no story, Kojima went all gameplay on the last one, kind of disappointing really.

I'm wondering if you actually played the game. TONS of story in 5, its just paced out with HOURS of gameplay.

No they don't. Name me a single movie that would have flopped had a different actor been chosen.

The Matrix. It needed a lead who was a "blank slate" so to speak. Any one other then Keanu Reaves would have had actual acting capability and would have ruined it. To be honest all the main actors in The Matrix sucked (I'm talking 1st movie specifically), but it was exactly what was needed and it was beautiful.

Outside of that, you are probably right :)

Iron giant totally rocked Vin diesal. This why groot was the best in guardians

I'm wondering if you actually played the game. TONS of story in 5, its just paced out with HOURS of gameplay.

Yeah I played it, it was pretty disappointing. Coming from a huge fan of the series, 5 is the weakest.

Yeah I played it, it was pretty disappointing. Coming from a huge fan of the series, 5 is the weakest.

Really strange, but hey: its your opinion. I thought the subplot and ambiguity of Huey's aligance and the strange way Quiet's story ended were some of the more emotionally driving scenes in the series. As well as the big reveal in mission 46: that left me gobsmacked.

The Shining. Without Jack Nicholson that movie loses it's energy, it's tension, and lot of the enjoyment of watching it. The directing and visuals of the movie are really good, but it's Nicholson's acting that brings it all together and sells it.

Ellen Burstyn in Requiem for a Dream. She was born to play that role, as tragic as it was. Ryan Reynolds, Deadpool. Also born to play it.

The salt must flow!
The man may have only one card but that card was ACE. His Snake voce is 100% badA$$. the question will be if that voice can be seen in any other games. Or would it bee too wierd to have a game like FF7's Remake cloud sound like snake...?

(Cloud what happened? Cloud? Clouuuuddd!)

The Matrix. It needed a lead who was a "blank slate" so to speak. Any one other then Keanu Reaves would have had actual acting capability and would have ruined it. To be honest all the main actors in The Matrix sucked (I'm talking 1st movie specifically), but it was exactly what was needed and it was beautiful.

Outside of that, you are probably right :)
Originally they wanted Will Smith for the Matrix Movie. I believe he could have pulled it off.

Ellen Burstyn in Requiem for a Dream. She was born to play that role, as tragic as it was. Ryan Reynolds, Deadpool. Also born to play it.

Ryan Reynolds wasn't born to play Deadpool, he was just lucky enough to have played Van Wilder. At which point, his career just ended up having him as always the comedic, sarcastic character. Which is why he feels like a good fit for Deadpool.

I don't feel anyone is every born to play a role. It's just their career has led them to be a good fit, if not the best fit. I feel Sean William Scott could play the role, although, due to him playing Stifler, ppl will always remember that. He should have branched off from that character type after The Rundown, but he ended up going right back to it.

Back