Playing HDTV quality xbox on the PC with a HDTV TV card

vanquished

Limp Gawd
Hiya guys, do you think that with a HDTV card (possibly a ATI HD Wonder), I can play games at HDTV resolutions through my monitor? I've seen the ATI HD Wonder, but it doesn't seem to have all the connectors needed.

Thanks

No, the HD Wondoer wont work, It comes with a Antenna that picks up the Digital Signals from your local TV stations.
As far as I know there really aren't any good HD TV Tuners that will do what you want at a reasonable price. You will need to get an adapter there is one called XBox2VGA I think that has gotten good reviews and I believe theres a at least one more worth looking at but I cant remember what it is called.

How about this, can an S-Video out from a vid card go into a digital cable box which is HD, and somehow make the game picture higher quality that normal S-Video? I kinda doubt it, but worth asking.

I'm the Dude said:
How about this, can an S-Video out from a vid card go into a digital cable box which is HD, and somehow make the game picture higher quality that normal S-Video? I kinda doubt it, but worth asking.
lol

Why not just get an HDTV with a VGA input so you can use it with your XBOX or your PC? Sounds like alot better idea to me than dicking around trying to use a PC monitor with an XBOX.

7718 said:
Why not just get an HDTV with a VGA input so you can use it with your XBOX or your PC? Sounds like alot better idea to me than dicking around trying to use a PC monitor with an XBOX.

You rich man?

No but I worked my ass off for 3 years and kept my toy purchases to a minimum so I could afford my 51" sony hdtv back in 03. It was definetly worth it, TV shows look great in HD, CSS looks great in HD , xbox looks great (the games that support it) heck even gamecube looks pretty sweet in HD. Sorry if you can't afford it , perhaps you could get a second job , maybe delivering Pizzas (nice non taxable tips are good for saving) and you could use that money to buy an HDTV. A wise somebody once said "where their is a will their is a way" and I believe that. However if your just hoping your parents will spring for a new HDTV to put in your solitary basement sanctuary then you might be hoping for a long time.

Or as my father in law used to tell my wife "Why don't you want in one hand and shit in the other, see which one fills up first."

No but I worked my ass off for 3 years and kept my toy purchases to a minimum so I could afford my 51" sony hdtv back in 03. It was definetly worth it, TV shows look great in HD, CSS looks great in HD , xbox looks great (the games that support it) heck even gamecube looks pretty sweet in HD. Sorry if you can't afford it , perhaps you could get a second job , maybe delivering Pizzas (nice non taxable tips are good for saving) and you could use that money to buy an HDTV. A wise somebody once said "where their is a will their is a way" and I believe that. However if your just hoping your parents will spring for a new HDTV to put in your solitary basement sanctuary then you might be hoping for a long time.

Or as my father in law used to tell my wife "Why don't you want in one hand and shit in the other, see which one fills up first."

Go into a whole thing about basements, delivering pizzas and what not... oh please.. Your spending habits are even more of a bore than PC vrs. console if that's possible. Guy wants to know if a good adapter or card is available for crying out loud... not your life story.

Whole thing had a very derogatory tone. Deliver Pizza's? Sorry if you can't afford it? Then the tone like we're all little kiddies getting a history lesson from grandpa. Bleh people didnt ask if you were rich because they sweat your gear, more the oh just spend 2k as a solution to an honest question. I have this monitor coming and am at least interested in using a console on it. And I could buy your TV right now... you know because I have such a superior work ethic, saving skill, AND old-man stories to even your elite own. :rolleyes:

7718 said:

or maybe he is saving for one like you, and wants a quick fix until he can get one??

i think xBox to your PC in HDTV res will be a wste of time. Way to few xBox games support a good res. (ex: HALO2 HiDef is 480lines progressive)
Might as well just play it on TV : /
HALO2 on a 60" widesceen at 480p and streched from 4:3 to 16:9 looks like ass 'cuz of the dang jaggies anyway

vanquished said:
Hiya guys, do you think that with a HDTV card (possibly a ATI HD Wonder), I can play games at HDTV resolutions through my monitor? I've seen the ATI HD Wonder, but it doesn't seem to have all the connectors needed.

Thanks

I have the ATI HDTV Wonder and it only pulls HDTV from over the air broadcast signals through the coaxial antenna input. Other than that, there are only standard NTSC inputs (Composite RCA, S-video).

It may be worth waiting for the Xbox 360, then. From what I understand, you can purchase an optional VGA cable so you can play on your PC monitor. Since even cheap PC monitors are inherently high resolution and everyone has one, this was a good decision by MS. With two RCA stereo outs, though, the audio side of using a monitor could be tricky for most people's setups.

http://www.xbox365.com/news.cgi?id=GGGiGNdNNu05261735

Even if you get the technology working, the Xbox game in question has to support 720p and 1080i. Not many do: 480p is far more common, and that's nowhere near HD resolution.

I don't know if X-Box will do RGB out, but if it does then it shouldnt be too much trouble to make up an adaptor, basically all you have to do is pull the sync signal up to 5V, its much easier the other way round, but a google may reveal something useful.

I don't know why you'd play PC games on an HD TV. Monitors usually have much better resolution than 720p, and since you're closer to the screen it's about the same size.

Obi_Kwiet said:
I don't know why you'd play PC games on an HD TV. Monitors usually have much better resolution than 720p, and since you're closer to the screen it's about the same size.

Not really, the fine details are much easier to notice when you have a large screen, so playing 720p on a HDTV tends to be much easier on the eyes than 720p on a PC monitor.

BTW, if you need a full run down as to what xbox games support HD-resolutions, HDTV arcade has a nice list you can check out. They also have listings for ps2/gamecube.

I play at 1920x1080 when i use my hdtv for computer gaming , because thats the native resolution of my set. I don't do it often because its a horrible pain in the ass dragging the tower into the living room, running all the cables, hooking up the networking crap etc. It sure looks cool though, and its fun once in ahwile.

7718 said:
I play at 1920x1080 when i use my hdtv for computer gaming , because thats the native resolution of my set. I don't do it often because its a horrible pain in the ass dragging the tower into the living room, running all the cables, hooking up the networking crap etc. It sure looks cool though, and its fun once in ahwile.

Thats 1080i right? Not 1080p surely?

aw damn, i guess i'll just have to wait till xbox 360 comes out. It just makes me wonder why we have tv cards everywhere with video in, but no hdtv card with it. oh well

vanquished said:
aw damn, i guess i'll just have to wait till xbox 360 comes out. It just makes me wonder why we have tv cards everywhere with video in, but no hdtv card with it. oh well
cuz then hq tv show rips would be too easy

A little bit OT, but are you guys getting HDMI over there? If so, (hope that xbox360 comes with it) then hdmi->DVI is easy, you just will have to find another way to get audio.

Herulach said:
A little bit OT, but are you guys getting HDMI over there? If so, (hope that xbox360 comes with it) then hdmi->DVI is easy, you just will have to find another way to get audio.
yes we have that, but no the xbox wont (so far as we have heard)

There are like 4 XBOX games that are in 720p or 1080i and they all suck (except Tony Hawk).

Back