Playing Blu-ray on Windows?

atarumoroboshi18

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I'm wondering if any of you have a good idea on the best way to play Blu-rays on Windows? I have a Blu-ray drive that allows me to read the disc, but I am unable to play them. Is there a good way to do this on Windows?

Hey guys, I'm wondering if any of you have a good idea on the best way to play Blu-rays on Windows? I have a Blu-ray drive that allows me to read the disc, but I am unable to play them. Is there a good way to do this on Windows?
.Are you wanting to rip it and store it on the hard drive, or just a one time watch? I store all my movies on hard disk, so i usually use programs like anydvd to save and decode it to my disk. (at this point you can watch it with anything) there is a million ways to do it, but im not positive if any of the apps are free for ever. you can try VLC player for if it a one time watch

Never really done any ripping before. I do have a spare 6TB external HDD and a RasPi 4 I recently purchased and I heard I could turn them into a media server, but not sure which one would be the best.

Never really done any ripping before. I do have a spare 6TB external HDD and a RasPi 4 I recently purchased and I heard I could turn them into a media server, but not sure which one would be the best.
millions of ways to do it cheaply....thing is what easiest for you? from 30-100 bucks are plenty of options..
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNSIxpXTAgjjv5YT_UQHJtcYXQL-5A:1568593237521&ei=VdV-Xc-5H4b4sgWzi7LoAg&q=best+media+player+for+my+tv&oq=best+media+player+for+my+tv&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i30.7410.10732..11124...0.2..0.151.1563.0j12......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j33i10j0i7i30.QVTzi4spN9E&ved=0ahUKEwiPuOCVidTkAhUGvKwKHbOFDC0Q4dUDCAs&uact=5 there has to a thousand people on this web site save all there movies on hard drives and just stream it to there main tv for watching anytime they want

PowerDVD or WinDVD are the best options. And you need a hardware support as well, depending on the age/type of the PC. ie: video card with HDMI output, HDMI connection to monitor/TV (for HDCP compliance).

VLC doesn't officially support BluRay and after hacking, still won't play all discs.

The free solutions are sadly not that great. They won't play everything and things like menus and alternate languages/audio can be buggy or non-functional.
If you're simply looking to play disks, I'd see if you can find a copy of an older version of PowerDVD. It has been able to play Blu-Rays going back 6-7 versions, so they'll all work. The newest one is still at least $60 via retail, so maybe an older one can be had for cheap?

The real struggle is trying to play UHD Blu-Rays. That requires a special drive, PowerDVD 17+, and a PC running Intel graphics :sick:.

The free solutions are sadly not that great. They won't play everything and things like menus and alternate languages/audio can be buggy or non-functional.
If you're simply looking to play disks, I'd see if you can find a copy of an older version of PowerDVD. It has been able to play Blu-Rays going back 6-7 versions, so they'll all work. The newest one is still at least $60 via retail, so maybe an older one can be had for cheap?

The real struggle is trying to play UHD Blu-Rays. That requires a special drive, PowerDVD 17+, and a PC running Intel graphics :sick:.
im pretty sure i could watch UHD's ok on mine....But i would likely decode/save it to hard drive with anydvd first anyways.

im pretty sure i could watch UHD's ok on mine....But i would likely decode/save it to hard drive with anydvd first anyways.

There are a handful of drives that can rip 'em. Obviously rips are "around" so there are plenty of people doing it.
It's kind of sad that it's easier to do that than watch the disk itself. AFAIK the only legit solution to watching them is with an LG UHD drive and one of the last few PowerDVD revisions. If you have an external video card, you have to disable that, too. It's quite the hassle.

There are a handful of drives that can rip 'em. Obviously rips are "around" so there are plenty of people doing it.
It's kind of sad that it's easier to do that than watch the disk itself. AFAIK the only legit solution to watching them is with an LG UHD drive and one of the last few PowerDVD revisions. If you have an external video card, you have to disable that, too. It's quite the hassle.
and if it has too new of a firmware they say its easy to flash to a working one. I have done the anydvd way and then ripping said file to an easier size file for a very long time. Yes it is a couple of steps to do, but extremely easy.:) I watch ALL my BD's ad UHD'BDs with MPC and never had any issue. I do use MPV to watch the UHD ones cause i need the HDR 10/12 bit color played in a format that looks ok on my older 8 bit display.

Last edited:
I use the old but great MPC-HC media player classic home cinema)

I believe was mad round the time when most of us where still in school etc, so, not all pastel "metro" style, rather more like a pro app tends to be, very "bland" but also powerful.

I believe MPC-HC has ability at least to enable playing of...otherwise there are media filter packs to enable what might/might not be there...if you have not used this before (not official Win10 support as of X amount of time ago, same as classic shell.. MSFT changing versions as often as they have effectively forced some great programs from working proper or at all.

much like my brand new motherboard where MSFT does one update, whatever it was, and WiFi and Bluetooth(unless FORCE paired on BT side) no longer works for anything.....

good luck in your efforts my freind

MPC-HC still works, but you need something like AnyDVD or one of those DVD-Fab items. At least you did last time I tried it. At that point you might as well just rip it with MakeMKV.

MPC-HC still works, but you need something like AnyDVD or one of those DVD-Fab items. At least you did last time I tried it. At that point you might as well just rip it with MakeMKV.
true about makemkv.....i think the anydvd way is a bit easier but your right...I understand makemkv can do it for free, but requires a little work for each movie. My only gripe with anydvd is when they sold the program to another company i lost my lifetime updates. (so yeah i can buy it again and its not so cheap). The devs have to continually update the program for each new movies and i cant expect them to work for free. I have anydvd about a 1000 movies or so, i got my monies worth.

How did you get vlc to play BLUray? It didn't work for me.
You have to do this: https://www.videosolo.com/tutorials/play-blu-ray-with-vlc.html

I don't think it has native support.

I went through a nightmare just trying to play a 4K disc on my PC. I was able to rip it at least, I never did get it to play. I think I even have a motherboard now that supports the Intel component, but I have to use an Integrated Intel GPU. While I might be able to figure out how to switch between my Nvidia GPU and an integrated one, I decided it wasn't worth the hassle. It's completely ridiculous.

I went through a nightmare just trying to play a 4K disc on my PC. I was able to rip it at least, I never did get it to play. I think I even have a motherboard now that supports the Intel component, but I have to use an Integrated Intel GPU. While I might be able to figure out how to switch between my Nvidia GPU and an integrated one, I decided it wasn't worth the hassle. It's completely ridiculous.

I feel your pain. I got it to work once by literally removing my Nvidia GPU, but it seems to be the only way. I guess if there's some easy way to disable a GPU and go integrated that would probably also work.
Yet it's 10x easier (and less reliant on hyper specific hardware/software) to simply Google how to rip the disks. Way to go DRM team!

I feel your pain. I got it to work once by literally removing my Nvidia GPU, but it seems to be the only way. I guess if there's some easy way to disable a GPU and go integrated that would probably also work.
Yet it's 10x easier (and less reliant on hyper specific hardware/software) to simply Google how to rip the disks. Way to go DRM team!
I for some reason prefer to watch the movie after its been saved to hard drive (which i do with anydvd) cause it takes out all the nasty drm:)

You have to do this: https://www.videosolo.com/tutorials/play-blu-ray-with-vlc.html

I don't think it has native support.

how could you not play it after ripping?:)

how could you not play it after ripping?:)
It played fine after ripping, it was just playing the disc itself that I never got to work properly. I thought that I might just have a 4k disc or two that I could pop in and play once in a while rather than storing the huge rip on my hard drive. But, I was wrong. So very, very wrong. LOL

Edit: This has gotten me thinking that maybe I can play 4k discs on my HTPC instead. I just use the integrated graphics anyways. I'd just need to swap out the motherboard for one that supports Intel SGX.

Last edited:
It played fine after ripping, it was just playing the disc itself that I never got to work properly. I thought that I might just have a 4k disc or two that I could pop in and play once in a while rather than storing the huge rip on my hard drive. But, I was wrong. So very, very wrong. LOL

Edit: This has gotten me thinking that maybe I can play 4k discs on my HTPC instead. I just use the integrated graphics anyways. I'd just need to swap out the motherboard for one that supports Intel SGX.
I have always figured ripping them all to a media server/drive for long term storage....then you can just click a remote in the living room watch what ever when ever. that htpc im sure could be a very good media player

I have always figured ripping them all to a media server/drive for long term storage....then you can just click a remote in the living room watch what ever when ever. that htpc im sure could be a very good media player
Yes, that's what I do. However, do you understand the size difference between a bluray file and a 4k file? My bluray rips are usually 8GB or so (using AnyDVD and Handbrake to transcode them) and take about an hour or so per movie. 4k rips using the same process are also around 8GB and take 24-ish hours! So, for my puposes, it makes more sense to just rip it (which doesn't take too long) and not use Handbrake. There's nothing wrong with playing a 60GB 4k rip, I would just prefer a smaller file to store. So, I'm sticking with bluray rips for now. Like I said, I may just get my HTPC up and running with a 4K drive and compatible motherboard\CPU.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back