Playing a MMORPG with a touchscreen monitor?

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
I was sitting around playing Star Wars: The Old Republic the other day and was thinking about trying to play it using a touchscreen monitor. There's over 50 "buttons" on the screen to choose from, way to many for just a keyboard.

Anyone ever tried using a touchscreen in this way? What are your thoughts on this?

It honestly sounds like a terrible idea.

First, having played SWTOR, yes there's a lot of buttons like any other MMO. However, most of them are not something you use regularly, to the point where you might as well just move the mouse and click.
Second, if you are doing anything in an MMO where fast input matters(dps rotations and such) you're likely using even less.

On top of that, there's the other issue of "moving your hand off of the mouse or keyboard to reach up to the monitor is slow". It would be faster just to click with the mouse.

I haven't tried an MMO, but I did try a FPS. I have a Wacom Cintiq, and decided to try playing an FPS with it, and it didn't turn out well. Windows Ink vs Wacom drivers created interesting effects with tilt and rotation added to clicking on the screen.

I was sitting around playing Star Wars: The Old Republic the other day and was thinking about trying to play it using a touchscreen monitor. There's over 50 "buttons" on the screen to choose from, way to many for just a keyboard.

Anyone ever tried using a touchscreen in this way? What are your thoughts on this?

having played SWTOR I can understand and say there's no better option than just utilize a better keyboard with programmable keys and shortcuts.. on my main rig I use a Logitech G510 with all the 18 extra keys programed with a combination of shortcuts that help amazingly on that game.. support skills and heal skills are all easily accesible to me, yes it require to get used to that layout, but once you are used to the convenience of those keys you won't be able to turn back to other keyboard. on my 3 gaming machines I have 1 logitech g510 one logitech g19 and 1 Razer anansi just due the needs of the programmable keys.

Back