Played Quake Lately? - [H]ardOCP

Steam version or disc or both? Up until Quake 3 (I believe) Carmack programmed these games so that they would run in Win NT, and if it didn't work in NT, well... Probably some of the best backwards compatible games there are. WTF is Windows 7,8,10 doing that can break these games? :confused: Still running Vista so I haven't heard of this before now.

WTF you running VISTA for holy shit batman
:confused::confused::confused:

you are better off playing quake live on steam

there is so many issues with these games on windows 7+

There are absolutely no issues for me playing any of the four on Windows 7 or 10. None at all. Of course, I typically only play Q1 and Q2 using source ports/modded engines. Q3 and Q4 though have zero issues.

There are absolutely no issues for me playing any of the four on Windows 7 or 10. None at all. Of course, I typically only play Q1 and Q2 using source ports/modded engines. Q3 and Q4 though have zero issues.

Q3 has issues
you have to mod your ini

pain in the ass
just buy quake live

The other two quakes are emulated with dos box on gog which is clunky..

Dont even bother build a retro pc with a AWE 64 GOLD and a good crt

Q3 has issues
you have to mod your ini

pain in the ass
just buy quake live

The other two quakes are emulated with dos box

if thats the case just build a retro pc with a AWE 64 GOLD

Quake 2 is a Windows game.

I haven't had to touch my .ini to get Q3A to run at all. Though I did end up tweaking it quite a bit to my taste. It was always that way though. I do have Quake Live, but I don't like to play it. I prefer playing on my home network, not with random internet people. I have Q3A and Q3TA installed right now on my main system. I play it fairly often. Works perfectly...

Who plays Quake in DOS? Have you never heard of GLQuake, Dark Places, Tenebrae, etc.?

Quake 2 is a Windows game.

I haven't had to touch my .ini to get Q3A to run at all. Though I did end up tweaking it quite a bit to my taste. It was always that way though. I do have Quake Live, but I don't like to play it. I prefer playing on my home network, not with random internet people.

Who plays Quake in DOS? Have you never heard of GLQuake, Dark Places, Tenebrae, etc.?

have you tried quake live?

Way better than all the quakes combined

have you tried quake live?

Way better than all the quakes combined

Hence me saying I have Quake Live, but don't play it. I disagree. It's not bad, and I have played quite a bit when it was first released, but I only play locally with friends/family. There are 5 active Steam accounts under my roof, all of which contain all of id's games.

If I played online, or somewhat competitively these days, I'm sure I would prefer Live. As it is though, it's just for fun, at home, and I already have what I need for that.

I felt a great disturbance in the force, Vista??

There is no possible justification for that.

BTW, even my Quake 1 pak files run great on 7.

This is madness.

Q3 has issues
you have to mod your ini

pain in the ass
just buy quake live

The other two quakes are emulated with dos box on gog which is clunky..

Dont even bother build a retro pc with a AWE 64 GOLD and a good crt

You're so full of it, it's ridiculous sir.

I felt a great disturbance in the force, Vista??

There is no possible justification for that.

BTW, even my Quake 1 pak files run great on 7.

This is madness.

Yes there is. Money, and upgrades. Why would I buy Win 7 when I'm running Core 2 Duo? After MANY years I'm finally working on a new rig, and a new OS to boot. Life happens, why spend money on an upgrade when I have no time to do anything other than E-mail, web, and the wife playing Torchlight. It's not like I said I'm rockin XP. If you were looking for my reasoning, there it is.

Anyway.. All I know (through Vista) is Quake just works. Always respected the Carmack for that. :)

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
Don't try and defend a Vista rig on [H].

That dog just don't hunt.

I was BORN and RAISED in Dallas, my rig bleeds Quakecon. So don't mention Carmack in your argument.

you are better off playing quake live on steam

there is so many issues with these games on windows 7+

Queake3 arean and team arean both runs perfect on windows 7 and 10 64bit out of box. Don't know what you are having of issues but it must be something else.

I love this game, Quake 1 and Quake 2 are my favourite FPS games of all time, just recently installed both on my Steam account with widescreen support and still plays great. It's much better than today's modern FPS games which doesn't even hold a candle compared to Quake.

Getting bugs in Win10 with a HD 7970. Doors that don't open, keys that can't be picked up...

Decided to use the tried and true Qrack. It doesn't look nearly as good but I haven't run into any bugs yet.

Quake 2 CTF has to be one of my top fondest gaming times over the years. That grapling hook sound, and firing rocket launcher sound at people trying to take your flag.

My Brothers and I were totally addicted to that game fur like two or three years straight in the late 90's. No multiplayer since has held my attention as well, except maybe BF1942.

Does anyone even play Q2 CTF anymore ?

FWIW in regards to the Vista debate I think there was about as much difference between Vista and 7 as there is between 8 and 10. Still though...

The GLQuake executable or the base .pak files have been on my hard drives continuously since ~1998 or so, since I bought my first dedicated GPU (Voodoo Banshee).

If anyone is looking for a 24/7 Quake 2 Lithium server sitting on a phat pipe (server is in Spokane WA, Pipe goes to Seattle)

We also have a Mumble server, TF2, and GRAV running currently.

If anyone is looking for a 24/7 Quake 2 Lithium server sitting on a phat pipe (server is in Spokane WA, Pipe goes to Seattle)

We also have a Mumble server, TF2, and GRAV running currently.

Do I need the Steam version of Q2 or can I use my old boxed copy. If using the boxed copy where the hell can I get all the point releases?

Do I need the Steam version of Q2 or can I use my old boxed copy. If using the boxed copy where the hell can I get all the point releases?

You can use the version you have, and it even works with the 'reduex' hi-res stuff. Several Clan mates re-installed from disc and it works fine -

3.20 is the latest:

Quake 2 Patch v3.20

Client side you can run what you like for visuals. The lithium mod is server side.

Kyle, do you have plans to do other articles like this? Pretty much every great game from around that era has graphics improvements or overhauls.

Bring back more of that nostalgia eh?

I have gotten back into q3 arena recently.Still really fun !

In the last couple days however , I am getting no server responses in the plain old q3 search page.....seems odd...
Is this just me or are other people seeing this ?

I had an P120 with 16MB of ram, 1GB HD and 2x 3DFX 6MB Voooooooodoooooo cards running SLI. Me and my bud had our own custom "skins" and at one point I had so many mods for that game I had to compress my HD so it could all fit. We worked full time 55 hrs a week and would play until 2 to 4 AM on a regular basis ..... yeah, our wives only screwed us to punish us. :smuggrin:

NOW we are paying. :blackeye:

SS

Last edited:
Kyle, do you have plans to do other articles like this? Pretty much every great game from around that era has graphics improvements or overhauls.

Bring back more of that nostalgia eh?
Not really sure. Nothing has grabbed me in quite the same way. Got any ideas?

Every year or two I fire it up and play through a couple of the episodes on nightmare. After reading the article I downloaded the HD Remix and I have to say it looks pretty awesome.

Quake and Doom are such classics, I wish that they would hire a team that would remaster the originals and simply keep them up to date. They could easily make their money back by selling them for $20 to $30 and the fans would be so happy. I hope that id continues to build the brand, but Left 4 Dead hit the mark when they updated the content of the first game and imported it into the second.

I agree and a remaster/reboot of Q1 or Q2 would be a instant, day zero purchase for me. I'd love to see a remaster/HD version of Doom 1 and 2 as well.

On the brink of its 20th anniversary, thanks to Egghead Software, still the best $10 I ever spent. Those who own this particular disc/version know why. Can't seem to load the image but it has definitely seen some wear.

Last edited:
On the brink of its 20th anniversary, thanks to Egghead Software, still the best $10 I ever spent. Those who own this particular disc/version know why. Can't seem to load the image but it has definitely seen some wear.

I've got several copies. The foldout waxy disc cover, etc. (I'm guessing that's what you were going to post)

I've got several copies. The foldout waxy disc cover, etc. (I'm guessing that's what you were going to post)

Yep, that's the one. Marketed as shareware but was considerably more. Worth its weight in gold! Can't believe I've had it for close to 20 years.

Anyone try the new episode for Q1 from Machine Games? I haven't had a chance to give it a whirl yet.

Played some last night and it is awesome. Hopefully I will finish it tonight. Definitely worth the download.

I just finished the episode on hard and it was a blast. I think that there were about 7 levels and they were designed well. Very fun to play and each got progressively harder. I will try it again and see how well I do on nightmare. A new Doom and a new episode for Quake - it has been a great month for gaming.

Just came back to Q3A, its been 4-5 years, still can't beat xaero in campaign's nightmare diffilcuty...

Back