Played Quake Lately? - [H]ardOCP

I just realized that I've never played the original Quake. What I was thinking was Quake was actually Quake II. Hmm. Might be time to correct that.

My god I love the quake series what memories. I played Quake 3 arena specifically like a fucking religion every day from when it came out until about 2004/2005 ish. Almost as if there were no other games out heh. People used to ask us on our clan vent server did you try this game or that game and we'd be like there's other games? :D;):p

Seriously though nice find Kyle. I'll have to check this out when I get a minute. Thanks for the heads up.:D

I just realized that I've never played the original Quake. What I was thinking was Quake was actually Quake II. Hmm. Might be time to correct that.

Yar, and the original Quake was so different than Quake 2. It was a hodge podge of ideas (sci-fi, horror, fantasy, cthulhu mythos), that really didn't make a bunch of sense looking back.

To add to the pain of the Sega Saturn version - there was no quick saving. You died during a mission, you started from the beginning, which happened a lot. Not sure if this was because I didn't have a Saturn memory cartridge (I relied on the battery backup) or a design decision.

Also, I did end up getting a retail PC disc for cheap - this was years after its original release, mind you. But at least I got to play with all of the GPU extensions (QuakeGL iirc). My Celeron 400mhz with a Voodoo3 rocked that game.

Perfect Timing...

We played a bunch of Quake ][ at a LAN last weekend. Bunch of old school gamers having fun with a younger set that never played. Lithium mod sever side... so much fun was had.

Thanks for the article -- going to put the mod to good use :)

Quake is amazing, quakeworld is even better. I imagine people are still playing too.

i miss the QW era alot. most of us had crap connections, some were crazy enough to pay insane amout on the phone or pay more for an ISDN connection.

but no game since has made me give up sleep like quake and QW and its mods did.

some things i just cant do any more, like going days with zero sleep and drive to work and back then start gaming all night then do it again.

I keep a super-modded Darkplaces install on my rig at all times :cool:

Ha, me too! I keep modded Q1 and Q2 around, then tweaked Q3A and Q3TA as well. I pop Q4 on once in a while, but don't keep it at the ready.

I play Quakeworld dm4 duels almost every day, though it's only against the bots because you can't find people to play against. The game is still unmatched and nothing has come close to the experience it delivers.

I've been considering playing the new Doom when it comes out, so recently I've been playing a bit of Quake 3 to get used to the slow pace. What's instantly noticeable when you switch from Quakeworld to Quake 3 is how utterly shit Quake 3 is. While Quakeworld has ultra responsive control, Quake 3 feels like you're in control of a sack of potatoes. You have to drag yourself around the map instead of moving with speed and precision.

The problem with Quake is that very few people actually get it. Even at its peak there were probably only 200 people in Europe who played duels, and most of them weren't very good. Day after day you'd play against the same set of people. Sometimes a CTF or FFA player would come on to the duel server, get slaughtered 50 to -5 and then never come back. This meant that the duel community remained very small.

Despite being heavily dumbed down Quake 3 had the same problem, and there were very few regular duelists so you'd play against the same people every day. The fact that nobody has tried to make a modern version of Quake's 1on1 duel mode is a testament to what a niche game it is (well 2GD has been trying but not making much progress).

Quake duels are the ultimate in competitive gaming, but sadly most people don't want highly competitive games and instead play CouterStrike, Call of Duty, Halo and other no-skill trash. There's simply no market for a high-skill shooter and it looks like there'll never be a replacement for Quake.

I bought the whole Quake series on Steam a few years ago. I was surprised Quake 1 did not come with the soundtrack. Does anyone know how to get ahold of it? I paid for the game doesn't that technically mean I own that music?

I bought the whole Quake series on Steam a few years ago. I was surprised Quake 1 did not come with the soundtrack. Does anyone know how to get ahold of it? I paid for the game doesn't that technically mean I own that music?

I have about 5 original retail Quake CDs somewhere. I'll see if I can figure out where they went. Maybe do a bit of extraction. I can't remember, but I think at least one of the source-port-mod-thingies can queue MP3 files. Curious to hear peoples' opinions on this though. If one has it in Steam can one have the music too? Or is it left out of the deal that Valve made with id/Bethesda/Zenimax/Captain Reznor/etc.? I'm pretty sure that strictly speaking someone somewhere would cry about it, but I don't see any harm putting the original music back in the game for people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I play Quakeworld dm4 duels almost every day, though it's only against the bots because you can't find people to play against. The game is still unmatched and nothing has come close to the experience it delivers.

I've been considering playing the new Doom when it comes out, so recently I've been playing a bit of Quake 3 to get used to the slow pace. What's instantly noticeable when you switch from Quakeworld to Quake 3 is how utterly shit Quake 3 is. While Quakeworld has ultra responsive control, Quake 3 feels like you're in control of a sack of potatoes. You have to drag yourself around the map instead of moving with speed and precision.

The problem with Quake is that very few people actually get it. Even at its peak there were probably only 200 people in Europe who played duels, and most of them weren't very good. Day after day you'd play against the same set of people. Sometimes a CTF or FFA player would come on to the duel server, get slaughtered 50 to -5 and then never come back. This meant that the duel community remained very small.

Despite being heavily dumbed down Quake 3 had the same problem, and there were very few regular duelists so you'd play against the same people every day. The fact that nobody has tried to make a modern version of Quake's 1on1 duel mode is a testament to what a niche game it is (well 2GD has been trying but not making much progress).

Quake duels are the ultimate in competitive gaming, but sadly most people don't want highly competitive games and instead play CouterStrike, Call of Duty, Halo and other no-skill trash. There's simply no market for a high-skill shooter and it looks like there'll never be a replacement for Quake.

Quake 3 CPMA is the closest you can get to QW, it's a lot faster pace than vanilla Q3. There's also Quake Live, which has PQL (similar to CPMA).

I think you're pretty off base calling CS a no-skill trash game. Have you ever actually played competitive CS? It takes a tremendous amount of skill to be a high tier player, it's just a completely different type of challenge compared to QW.

I think the GOG version of Quake still has the original music.
And no, you don't own the music. Best example of that is what happened with GTA, distribution rights and all that jazz.

Thank you for the install walkthrough Kyle.

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with site content like this...way to break the mold.

Quake 3 CPMA is the closest you can get to QW, it's a lot faster pace than vanilla Q3. There's also Quake Live, which has PQL (similar to CPMA).

I think you're pretty off base calling CS a no-skill trash game. Have you ever actually played competitive CS? It takes a tremendous amount of skill to be a high tier player, it's just a completely different type of challenge compared to QW.

Quake Live is subscription now though. :\

The peak of my FPS playing was Quake 3 and derivatives. Did a bunch of Threewave CTF and then later RTCW and ET league play. Also went to several qcons when [H]OCP was still there too giving away free stuff and grilling hardware vendor reps on stage. Going to have to see if I can find my old Q1 disks just for the NIN soundtrack.

After listening to the sound files downloaded from the links above, I discovered that those sound are already in this mod. I didn't realize that the background atmospheric noises were really the soundtrack.

After listening to the sound files downloaded from the links above, I discovered that those sound are already in this mod. I didn't realize that the background atmospheric noises were really the soundtrack.

I'm having issues. Downloaded the soundtrack from the above Steamcommunity link, and added to id1/music with the tracklist file, but no dice. Any suggestions?

And Kyle: Thanks a lot for this! Your tutorial works perfectly! Just can't get the music working well.

Edit: There's a couple pk3 files you have to open up to replace the ogg files in. They all have "music" in the filename. I can't remember which one made it stick, I went on a blitz and changed many. Look in 'rogue' and 'hypnotic' directories as well. Working now.

Last edited:
I did a HEX compare of the DarkPlaces.exe and Glquake.exe and they appear to be the exact same file, so I'm not sure if you need to replace Glquake per the instructions.

Quake was nowhere near as fun as Doom 1 and 2. They went down the 'few enemies' path, which I did not enjoy.

I didn't start the Quake series until Quake4 but I loved it. I never got past Lt. Voss however. I'd like to see 4 upgraded.

For what it's worth, some of us still populate a Q3 threewave server nightly. Enough for atleast 5v5s. You all are welcome to come play, the more the merrier. Message me for details.

Nice thread Kyle!

What? No comments on Kyle's setup? Two Titan's? 6TB of spinny drives and nearly 2TB of SSD? 32GB of mem?

Geez!

It's like you read my mind on Quake and wrote it down here. Couldn't agree more. Quake is still the hardest to master but the most satisfying to play. Such a shame really. I remember when Quake II came out some of my closests friends switched to it and tried to convince me it was a better game, just slower paced. I actually befriended them for a long time out of disgust after playing the stupid game for two days and then beating them soundly even when it was 2 against 1. They couldn't believe it as they played it for month's and thought they were good. There's such a huge skill gap between Quake and any of the sequals.

I'm looking forward to the new doom and ut but I know deep down they'll most likely be POS no skill latency ridden games that cater to dummy's.

Wonder if Frogbot still exists? That was my favourite bot.

Last edited:
I've been generally more on the Wolfenstein side of things though. I really enjoyed playing RTCW on my Xbox, and I played it on PC as well, before playing Wolfenstein ET for years and years (off and on). I wish Wolfenstein ET would get an infusion of new players, because it really was a great MP experience. With the flexible modding system, it also had almost unlimited amounts of levels and objectives. I'm just sad the community died out like it did.

Same. Ran a pub clan for several years. But people got older, life happened, and eventually things just wound down to the point that it was no longer viable to keep it going.
After PB support ended, hackers ruined it. I ended up speccing more games on my server than playing just to keep an eye out for wallers and botters.
Loved Quake Wars...but it didnt get the love from the Wolf:ET community, and then Activision just let the game die.

I remember buying the Quake demo on CD at Computer Boutique at Southcenter Mall in Tacoma, WA so that I could play it. Yes, you had to buy some demos way back then as dial up based downloads from your local BBS or ISP were slower than hell.

I called up the company that was selling the game disks for $5.00 each and placed an order for one copy. When I received my order it had five copies of Quake in the box. I called them up to report the issue and ask them if they wanted the four extra returned. The manager got on the line and say, "Nope. Enjoy!" I still have one of those CDs.

I'm not exactly sure why but I was a really popular guy until I unloaded the four copies I had.

The PC I had at the time was a Leading Edge Pentium 90 running Windows 3.1 with 2MB of RAM, a 256MB hard drive, a 13 inch CRT, an ATI Mach32 (or 68800) IDE video card with 2MB of RAM, and an Aztech Sound Galaxy Washington 16 sound card that my CD ROM drive attached to because it supported IDE. In hindsight I should have purchased 4MB of RAM. The cost? $3,000 with an extended warranty and it was totally worth it as the monitor died about every 18 months. That might have something to do with my having installed Slackware 95 and getting X running with fvwm95. No smoke came out of the proverbial bottle.

There are times that I think that it was I who drove Future Shop out of the US and back into Canada.

Just Quake is $10.00? I think I got the complete ID pack for about $25.00 during a Steam Xmas sale. I have the complete Unreal pack too for about the same price.

I remember buying the Quake demo on CD at Computer Boutique at Southcenter Mall in Tacoma, WA so that I could play it. Yes, you had to buy some demos way back then as dial up based downloads from your local BBS or ISP were slower than hell.

I bought that same disc back in '96.

If you called the 800 number to buy the full version, they'd give you a serial key over the phone and it would unlock the full game (which was already on the demo disc).

Least that's how it was for my copy....

I originally played Quake on a Micron Pentium 90, 16MB of RAM, some Diamond Stealth card, 17 inch CRT, on Windows 95. And yes, it was a ridiculous machine back in 7th grade. My fam's first rig since the old IBM PS/2.... I think it cost something stupid like five grand lol

Tried as I might, I couldn't convince my parents to snag me an OG Voodoo card.

Tore that rig apart 3ish years later, threw in an AMD K6-2 300, 32MB of RAM, and an STB Velocity 128. It wasn't top of the line but still, pretty damn sweet.

Finally built my first rig from scratch with my own money at 17 and never looked back. (Duron 700, 256 SDRAM, Geforce 2 GTS 32MB, SB Live)

Last edited:
I bought that same disc back in '96.

If you called the 800 number to buy the full version, they'd give you a serial key over the phone and it would unlock the full game (which was already on the demo disc).

Least that's how it was for my copy....

I originally played Quake on a Micron Pentium 90, 16MB of RAM, some Diamond Stealth card, 17 inch CRT, on Windows 95. And yes, it was a ridiculous machine back in 7th grade. My fam's first rig since the old IBM PS/2.... I think it cost something stupid like five grand lol

Tried as I might, I couldn't convince my parents to snag me an OG Voodoo card.

Tore that rig apart 3ish years later, threw in an AMD K6-2 300, 32MB of RAM, and an STB Velocity 128. It wasn't top of the line but still, pretty damn sweet.

Finally built my first rig from scratch with my own money at 17 and never looked back. (Duron 700, 256 SDRAM, Geforce 2 GTS 32MB, SB Live)

Ha I was gonna type this as well, just didn't know if anyone remembered...about the sharware unlock...

There are some things you just don't discard..

dCaXws8.jpg

Great write up! Ironic, I was just browsing doomworld.com the other day, it's still up and running!

Back