Play Titanfall On The PC For Free

HardOCP News

[H] News
Give em' a little taste and they'll keep coming back for more. I could make a drug dealer joke here but I think we all see the similarities here. ;)

It’s Game Time! This is a brand new program on Origin: it’s free time with full games. Origin Game Time isn’t a demo, it’s the full game playable for free for as long as there’s time on your Game Time clock. And we’re kicking off Origin Game Time with a truly massive experience: Titanfall on PC.

Get those MMORPG players suckered in with a free trial, then cut them off and offer them the opportunity to fall off the wagon for a tidy sum. I like it! :D

Of course, that is one massively large demo to download. At least before when it was only a level or two, the files were more manageable.

Horrible marketing scheme......
Some people's internet connection sucks ass, and will take them two days to download.
I know this doesn't count against the actual in game time, but still.
And the whole idea of giving people ONLY 48hrs "real time" of game play is asinine...
Apparently they're targeting ONLY basement-dwelling teens that would actually spend two days straight trying to get as much from the game as possible and in the end most likely NEVER pay for it, and simply uninstall it.... If their marketing tam had half a fucking brain, they would set the actual game-play time to lets say 24hr. This means that somebody like me with full time job and money to spend, but not a whole lot of spare time, can install the game and play 30min~1hr every other day, and actually get a feel for the game and build up XP's, rank, etc.. After about a month of playing like that, I'd be more inclined to pay to keep it going...

This "48hr game play starts NOW" crap is a total FAIL!

....but on the other hand they may know that more time they give people to play, the more chances the game will get repetitive and boring, so no sale....

Catch 22...

Some people's internet connection sucks ass, and will take them two days to download.
And the whole idea of giving people ONLY 48hrs "real time" of game play is asinine...
Apparently they're targeting ONLY basement-dwelling teens that would actually spend two days straight trying to get as much from the game as possible and in the end most likely NEVER pay for it, and simply uninstall it.... If their marketing tam had half a fucking brain, they would set the actual game-play time to lets say 24hr. This means that somebody like me with full time job and money to spend, but not a whole lot of spare time, can install the game and play 30min~1hr every other day, and actually get a feel for the game and build up XP's, rank, etc.. After about a month of playing like that, I'd be more inclined to pay to keep it going...

....but on the other hand they may know that more time they give people to play, the more chances the game will get repetitive and boring, so no sale....

Catch 22...

WOW:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Steam already gives "free weekends" as game promotions, Origin is just copying to look better.

This is actually an excellent business model, and really ruins any case that pirates have for not paying for a game.

Publishers have gone way out of their way to misrepresent games and lately to even abuse copyright law to shut down anyone that shows the game in a negative lights. That definitely made a GOOD case for pirating the game to try it, and if you like it, buy it.

Being able to play the full game for free for a limited time certainly allows you to try it and buy it. :)

The game seems boring. Movement is nice but 100% hitscan weapons is a major no-no for me. I also don't enjoy that lame stop-and-aim-with-an-ironsight-to-shoot-something-1meter-from-you mechanic.

Catch 22...

I'm one of those people. My ISP (AT&T DSL) sucks and it would take me forever to download something that's scores of GB. :(

how do you complain about getting to play a game for free before you buy? Bunch of internet whiners

Nah just people with money *AND* brains smart enough to see through the bullshit.

My time is valuable -- and I really don't see the logic in spending 8+ hours downloading a demo that's only good for 2 days of real time. If you want to win over gamers don't put pressure on them first of all. It's a pretty crappy message to setup your offer where I have to choose between a weekend with family or a weekend playing a game a might want to buy?

Pass. Are they afraid that if you got to enjoy your 48 hours of game time spread over 2 weeks, you would realize (Like everyone else has that bought it) it's boring in the long run and just flat not worth the money? Yup I think that's the winner.

For those people who are bandwidth limited -- in a family household where other people do other things online, how would blowing 20% of your allotted monthly bandwidth on a game you might play for a few hours? Just sucks.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter about demo time, or any of the other crap we are arguing about. Is the game worth it? The consensus is no, and no amount of fluff, or flashing lights is going to change the fact it's a mediocre game.

This is actually an excellent business model, and really ruins any case that pirates have for not paying for a game.

Publishers have gone way out of their way to misrepresent games and lately to even abuse copyright law to shut down anyone that shows the game in a negative lights. That definitely made a GOOD case for pirating the game to try it, and if you like it, buy it.

Being able to play the full game for free for a limited time certainly allows you to try it and buy it. :)

There are more reasons to pirate than you may think. Or perhaps you should choose more well defined language to describe the ACTUAL behavior you are talking about, copyright infringement solely to avoid payment.

It's not free if I have to use Origin. No thanks. Wouldn't use Origin even if Titanfall remained free on it.

Nah just people with money *AND* brains smart enough to see through the bullshit.

My time is valuable -- and I really don't see the logic in spending 8+ hours downloading a demo that's only good for 2 days of real time. If you want to win over gamers don't put pressure on them first of all. It's a pretty crappy message to setup your offer where I have to choose between a weekend with family or a weekend playing a game a might want to buy?

Pass. Are they afraid that if you got to enjoy your 48 hours of game time spread over 2 weeks, you would realize (Like everyone else has that bought it) it's boring in the long run and just flat not worth the money? Yup I think that's the winner.

For those people who are bandwidth limited -- in a family household where other people do other things online, how would blowing 20% of your allotted monthly bandwidth on a game you might play for a few hours? Just sucks.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter about demo time, or any of the other crap we are arguing about. Is the game worth it? The consensus is no, and no amount of fluff, or flashing lights is going to change the fact it's a mediocre game.

A) If your time is that valuable, go sell it and use the money to get faster internet.

B) Unless you live somewhere that caps your broadband, you can just setup some QOS and have it download in the background. You don't actually have to sit there and watch it download.

C) If you have the option, you should try it yourself. There's plenty of people who love games people hate and vice versa.

Not going to bother wasting my time installing this game (Isn't it like 50 GB or something insane?) for a timed demo.

The idea behind this is alright but Titanfall seems like a poor example given how unnecessarily huge it is.

I don't get all the hate here. If I'm understanding this correctly and I could be wrong is that you get 48 hours of game time and you can play as long as you have time on your game clock not you launch the game and you have 48 hours to play as much as you can in that 48 hour time span. If I have 48 hours of game time that could last me months with as often as I get to play these days and for most games that is about how long it takes me to complete it or get tired of it so yeah free game.

I don't see Titanfall listed on the 'Free Games' page...only thing I see is Peggle...am I missing something or has it not been made available yet?

They claim it's a "free trial" but it's really nothing more than a test run of their new game rental system.

Instead of selling the game, the company merely RENTS it to you by the hour.

Downloading won't take away the game clock. Literally can't give stuff away around here without people complaining about it.

I don't get all the hate here. If I'm understanding this correctly and I could be wrong is that you get 48 hours of game time and you can play as long as you have time on your game clock not you launch the game and you have 48 hours to play as much as you can in that 48 hour time span. If I have 48 hours of game time that could last me months with as often as I get to play these days and for most games that is about how long it takes me to complete it or get tired of it so yeah free game.

Directly from the article:

The Origin Game Time clock begins the moment you start the game for the first time, and ticks down in realtime. Whether you’re fighting your friends or taking a break, the Game Time clock will continue to run.

I fail to see how this is any different from Steams free weekends, except instead of being told you can only play from Friday to Sunday, you're being told you can start any time you want for the same time frame. Not a big fan of Origin or Titanfall, but I like this idea. It's something that Origin does better than Steam.

You're obviously not the market they are after and are not comprehending the "other side" of the equation. Almost everything you said is why it may be viable.

Most people are shortsighted it's manipulation at its finest.

So you download a full game onto your ssd or hdd spend the bandwidth on 50 gigs of game. or 30 or what ever the game may be. You then play it for lets say 1-3 hrs a day for 2days thats 2-6 hrs. If it is a bad game some will smell through the bullshit but, some will be enticed and "addicted" already. They think "its a discounted game", "I already downloaded it" "why not buy it"

The OP mentions he will leave out the drug dealer comments but it is true. There is an addiction not unlike drugs that draws people to games and this model of business is playing on that aspect. Addiction is in the brain.

Plus I doubt brand new games will get the "free to play" model right off the bat. They dont wont to ruin the "curious" customer sales they just want to cover every market of gamers.

Catch 22...

You need to go outside and get some fresh air bro.

You're obviously not the market they are after and are not comprehending the "other side" of the equation. Almost everything you said is why it may be viable.

Most people are shortsighted it's manipulation at its finest.

So you download a full game onto your ssd or hdd spend the bandwidth on 50 gigs of game. or 30 or what ever the game may be. You then play it for lets say 1-3 hrs a day for 2days thats 2-6 hrs. If it is a bad game some will smell through the bullshit but, some will be enticed and "addicted" already. They think "its a discounted game", "I already downloaded it" "why not buy it"

The OP mentions he will leave out the drug dealer comments but it is true. There is an addiction not unlike drugs that draws people to games and this model of business is playing on that aspect. Addiction is in the brain.

All they are doing is giving an extended, unrestricted demo. Of course there are marketing reasons behind it, but you either lack any business sense or have too many layers of tin foil around your head to comprehend why this is a great idea. If you have 30 minutes or 48 hours within the available window you can test the full game for free. Its a business model that Steam has been using for years with their free weekends, only this time its the 2 days of a person's choosing.

A company allowing a person to play their game for free is excellent marketing. If a person is on the fence, a free window to evaluate the game is great for both sides. It has nothing to do with addiction and comparing games to drugs is utterly ridiculous. Physical drug addiction is a serious disease, people who play a lot of video games just don't have lives. They are not one and the same.

this is better then a demo...you get the final game code, latest patch and access to the entire game with no restrictions...what's to complain about?...I know this is primarily a multiplayer game but you can actually finish the single player side in 48 hours

seeing how I am only allowed 10GB/mo I will have to pass.

Then again, you can't really download jack shit period, Origin/Titanfall isn't exactly your only problem.

Hell I just downloaded 7gb of facials starting with "S". There went your internet.

EA Hating because it's EA; the company doesn't need to fuck up something, it just has to be EA.

Look, I get that EA has done shitty things in the past. Having said that, they do have a lot of great IP's in their hands, and not all of them have been thrown in the shitter. I've found the Origin service to be trouble-free. It seems that EA has started to recognize the value of good customer relations. Unfortunately, some people will bitch even if a game was flawless and delivered on a golden plate. Also, because EA is unable to possibly account for every single situation, it must be their way of spitting in peoples faces. </sarcasm>

Master [H];1040910709 said:
EA Hating because it's EA; the company doesn't need to fuck up something, it just has to be EA.

Look, I get that EA has done shitty things in the past. Having said that, they do have a lot of great IP's in their hands, and not all of them have been thrown in the shitter. I've found the Origin service to be trouble-free. It seems that EA has started to recognize the value of good customer relations. Unfortunately, some people will bitch even if a game was flawless and delivered on a golden plate. Also, because EA is unable to possibly account for every single situation, it must be their way of spitting in peoples faces. </sarcasm>

None of the IP that EA has was created by them.

EA is nothing more than a holding company that buys up existing game studios, bleeds them dry with crappy sequels, and then discards the empty husks.

This is why I don't like EA.

Look, I'm not a Steam fanatic, but the way EA has done business for so long is screw over everyone and release a half assed product.
I boycott Origin just because of the way EA treats their programmers and how they buy up great studios and grind them into shit.
I'll believe they changed when I finally stop seeing articles how a new game is released and X amount of servers keep crashing or X amount of people can't even run the game with recommended hardware. Until then, I'm sticking with Steam and GOG because I've had nothing but positive experiences with them and I'd rather support Steam who supports Linux and helps indy devs grow and GOG which will be supporting Linux soon and partially does already with a WINE frontend.
I'll buy EA and Ubisoft again once THEY SHOW they're not going to screw over us PC guys anymore, until then, no dice.

Ulterior motives. 48 hrs is plenty to get a feel for the game. They want enough to play out the game for free and only pay for it, if it has the potential for longevity.

People have come to expect they are entitled to free shit for everything.

Back