play ps1 and ps2 games on your ps4

PS3 games will probably be Playstation Now only.

It would benefit them more to make PS1/PS2 games download only to force people to rebuy the games. I hope it's true though I never got to finish T'ai Fu: Wrath of the Tiger on the PS1.

I shelved my PS2 due to space constraints around my TV. And that sucks because every now and again I'd like to fire up some old games and go at em. God I hope they add this to the PS4 - along with some streaming capabilities and... man o man... would I be happy ;)

That would be great. I still have a ton of PS1 and PS2 fighting games I've love to revisit.

I shelved my PS2 due to space constraints around my TV. And that sucks because every now and again I'd like to fire up some old games and go at em. God I hope they add this to the PS4 - along with some streaming capabilities and... man o man... would I be happy ;)
If you have the last version of the PS2, you could just sit it on top of your PS4 :cool:. The thing is the size of a short paperback book.

I can't read the article at work. But why not just emulate them yourself on PC? PCSX2 runs all of my PS2 games almost perfectly, with the added benefit of custom resolutions and all the flare modern GPUs have to offer. Plus, you don't have to bother swapping discs if you burn your library to a hard drive. Same goes for PS1 games on ePSXe.

Agreed - I could totally emulate on my PC and it'd be great. However, I use consoles for "couch stuff" if that makes sense. Deep involved single player games? - PC. MMO, ARPG, tactical stuff? - PC. Fighting games, same screen 2 player beat em ups, platformers with the kids? - Console.

I guess the console games I buy are just more fun in the living room, on the couch, sitting next to a bud with a beer in hand, etc. And I've yet to pull the trigger on making an HTPC (lazy I suppose). It would just be super convenient and cool if the PS4 "took care of it" for my lazy arse ;)

Oh ya, and I have an original release, hard to find, gigantic fat PS2. Thing is huge :)

After today's update, it's frankly obvious Sony is milking money from gamer. You have to be re-fucking-tarded to believe that rumor.

Last edited:
I honestly can't imagine they would add PS1/PS2 emulation to PS4 without requiring PSN+. I could believe it if it said PSN+ was required.

Backwards compatibility would probably get a PS4 on my shelf. I have a 60GB PS that plays PS1/PS2 games. While I don't use it often -- being able to update to a PS4 and not loose any functionality would definitely make me anxious to get one.

I just don't have room for more consoles. So I'll play the shit out of what I have until nothing more on the PS3 interests me, then I'll snag a PS4 and play all the games I missed on it at bargain bin prices.

My ps2's disc drive is starting to act up so if this rumor is true I might be more compelled to get a ps4.

Omg it's not true, it's just to drive a page views.

Sony sells these games in the store, they aren't going to give them away, Christ! They won't even let you use your cheap Bluetooth headset, but you ink they'll open up emulators, LOL.

Omg it's not true, it's just to drive a page views.

Sony sells these games in the store, they aren't going to give them away, Christ! They won't even let you use your cheap Bluetooth headset, but you ink they'll open up emulators, LOL.

if it makes you feel better, I didn't even click the link :D

Ps1 and ps2 emulation are very well understood. It seems reasonable to go for the up-front cost of developing an emulator instead of the continuing costs of a streaming service.

They already have an emulator.

You'll notice they removed backwards compatibility when they figured out they could sell the games online.

I got my ps2 slim, perfect condition with 2 controllers at a pawn shop for 15 bucks by the way.

They already have an emulator.

You'll notice they removed backwards compatibility when they figured out they could sell the games online.

I got my ps2 slim, perfect condition with 2 controllers at a pawn shop for 15 bucks by the way.

You obviously never read about the PS3 if you think they just removed it so they could sell more games online. The original PS3 pretty much had a PS2 built in to it to emulate the PS3 games, hence why it was so expensive.

You obviously never read about the PS3 if you think they just removed it so they could sell more games online. The original PS3 pretty much had a PS2 built in to it to emulate the PS3 games, hence why it was so expensive.

Nope, some PS3s had pure software emulation in them. I've got one of the boat anchor models that does. (MGS4 bundle edition)
Less compatible than the launch units that had the Emotion Engine chip though.

Nope, some PS3s had pure software emulation in them. I've got one of the boat anchor models that does. (MGS4 bundle edition)
Less compatible than the launch units that had the Emotion Engine chip though.

That model has a hardware graphics chip but the CPU is emulated in software.

http://m.edge-online.com/news/ps2-software-emulation-unlikely-40gb-ps3

This would be an amazing move. I have so many ps2 games that i never completed, and having those playable with cleaner IQ, would make my day.

They took out the emotion engine, the cost was negligible when they were running it mostly in software. They can run the whole thing in software(obviously)

They took out the emotion engine, the cost was negligible when they were running it mostly in software. They can run the whole thing in software(obviously)

IIRC the cost of the emotion engine chip was estimated to be about $15. They saved a huge amount of money by removing it.

IIRC the cost of the emotion engine chip was estimated to be about $15. They saved a huge amount of money by removing it.

And they removed the emotion engine and still had backwards compatibility.

And they removed the emotion engine and still had backwards compatibility.

... But they left in the PS2 GPU chip for those models. There is no model of PS3 that plays PS2 discs using pure software emulation.

Even if the GPU only cost $1 they still saved over $10,000,000 by removing it.

I still have my day 1 ps3... its now reglated to nostalgia in my den. The ps3 slim black friday sale was worth it.

... But they left in the PS2 GPU chip for those models. There is no model of PS3 that plays PS2 discs using pure software emulation.

Even if the GPU only cost $1 they still saved over $10,000,000 by removing it.

Hmm, I could have sworn it was purely software as I thought I saw some stuff in the "alternate firmware" community on putting the ps2 emulator on not officially supported models.

Unless i'm totally imagining things, which is a distinct possibility.

Hmm, I could have sworn it was purely software as I thought I saw some stuff in the "alternate firmware" community on putting the ps2 emulator on not officially supported models.

Unless i'm totally imagining things, which is a distinct possibility.

There is no official Sony emulator that plays discs, but they have developed a PS2 emulator that runs on PS3 - hence the "PS2 Classics" section of the PSN store. It probably isn't publicly available because it's buggy and needs to be tuned per-game and/or they can use it to sell you a digital download of a game you already own.

A little bit of googling tells me that the custom firmware PS2 emulator does exist and is essentially a reverse-engineered version of the Sony emulator that lets you load in games off discs.

Back