Platform questions for new Fury Build.

System base for Fury X XFire Build.

• X99 w/ 5930K

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • X99 w/ 5820K

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Z97 w/ 4970K

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • H97 w/i5 and sell when skylake launches.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JosiahBradley

[H]ard|Gawd
Long time reader but infrequent poster finally giving in to the community for some assistance on a personal build. I build a lot of computers for work but it's been 8-9 years since I've built a system for myself and I want to put a lot of extra thought into it. Here is my dilemma:

I don't want to wait any longer to build this system so waiting until Fuy X launches is finally long enough. However it seems that Skylake is about to launch within less than two months. I don't use a ton of storage or need more speed than a regular TB SSD and my main focus for this build is purely gaming. So my choices are the following.

I'm planning on Crossfire Fury X, 32GB RAM minimum and the ASUS MG279Q freesync monitor with:

- X99 w/ 5820k
- X99 w/ 5930k for extra PCI-e for crossfire. Maybe Fury X will actually be able to use the extra bandwidth given it is already pushing it's own RAM so fast, I'd love to see tests on this.
- Z97 w/ 4970K for max IPC
- H97 w/ some cheap i5 and sell the parts when Skylake hits.

So what would be the best platform for such a setup? Thanks to everyone in advance for the assistance and I really look forward to a new system.

You've waited this long, hang on for the latest hardware.
At the least, the price of the other hardware will drop.

Do you want to game on a 4K TV at any point in time?

I doubt Skylake will make or break your build unless you really like better power efficiency and "newer" motherboard features/components.

Options by preference are

1) Wait for Skylake (as well as some preliminary feedback on how Fury(ie?)s perform plus 2 month's of driver refinements) and get the latest and greatest via a good motherboard from the likes of say... ASUS.

or...

2) If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket then... Get the X99/5930k and you'll have a good, solid foundation for years to come with all the bandwidth you need if it even fully saturates the bus... or not.

Just my personal opinion on the research I'm doing for my replacement build, I've decided I can stand to wait a month or so before going all in.

My 2600k at 4.5 Ghz is getting pretty long in the tooth and frankly, I'm happy AMD has put enough R&D into their GFX and hopefully their CPU tech, to finally wake the behemoths of Intel/Nvidia into actually providing more drastic performance or $$$ value rather just going for greener parts and continuously charging us outrageous prices because they are the top dogs and haven't had to get off of their laurels in a long time.

After pricing a few builds it seems going x99 isn't too impossible. And now that I think about it skylake won't have more than 4 cores for awhile. So 6 overclocked haswell cores with 40 lanes pci-e should last me awhile. Now to find the perfect motherboard with proper spacing for fury. And a case that holds 3 watercoolors. Suggestions?

You mean three radiators or three CLCs?

3 closed loop coolers. 2 120mm for the Furies and a 280 for the CPU. Really considering the 540 air but not sure if I can mount the coolers sideways so they stack on the front. According to the fury manual the radiator must be mounted above the card itself for the pump to work. Also I like to go positive pressure and that much exhaust will be hard to combat.

Back