Plasma TV Verticle Line Problem - Any tips?

RS3RS

[H]F Junkie
Wasn't sure which section to post this in...

Having a problem with my trusty Panasonic TC-P50U1 50" plasma. Wondering if anyone has some tips. It's about 8 years old and kind of out of date, but the picture is (normally) great and I'd hate to replace it if I don't have to.

I moved the TV a few months back, and after setting it back up, there was a small red vertical line in the screen about 1 pixel across. Hardly noticeable most of the time.

Last night, there was some sort of a "fizzing" noise that lasted a few seconds (not exactly sure, paraphrasing the girlfriend who was watching it alone at the time), and the red line turned into a wide black bar with some fixed lines of color:

8stbtcM.jpg

qV81sm4.jpg

I popped open the back and identified the ribbon cable that controls that portion of the vertical axis. When disconnected, the exact same portion of the screen turns white(ish):

s4aMfT5.jpg

It concerns me that it's not completely white -- I hope the black splotches don't represent some sort of failure with the panel itself.

This is the ribbon cable that controls this portion of the screen once I unplugged it (far left on the bottom):

4B5Pa36.jpg

There was a good bit of dust, so I blew out the connector and wiped the connections on both sides with some rubbing alcohol.

Another overview shot of the back (sorry for poor quality). The affected cable is just to the left of the little metal vertical support on the bottom, slightly to the left of the photo's center (if that makes sense):

tAvEnvp.jpg

Any tips? I thought about ordering a new control board (or whatever it is that the ribbon cable plugs into). There are also some small chips (ICs) on the cable itself, so I don't know if that might be the problem, and that seems like a pain to replace.

Figured I'd ask before I start throwing money at parts that might or might not work. Don't know how common this problem is.

I'll get a new TV if I have to, but I've always liked this unit and would love to figure out a fix if at all possible.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well, I'm no expert but I'll hazard a guess that a fizzing noise accompanied by sudden extreme picture problems is very very not good.

Unless you happen to get some plasma repair expert to stop by this thread, your best bet is finding a competent local electronics repair shop. Unfortunately, a lot of these do have shop fees/inspection fees, and given that you're only talking about a 50" TV that is eight years old, even the inspection costs will likely outstrip the actual value of the TV and be a good chunk of the way towards a replacement unit's cost. I've seen some pretty good deals on TVs in the run up to Christmas - things like 50" 4K TVs for $300 or less. If the shop fee to diagnose your TV was $75, I wouldn't pay it and would instead just look towards replacing.

Aside from the Potato 2000 pics, it's hard to tell but it looks like 2, maybe more, capacitors on the board are bad / starting to leak. That can cause all kinds of problems, but it's usually power related to where the TV won't turn on.

tAvEnvp.jpg

Remove the ribbon cable you reseated -- clean with Deoxit Goldwipes, spray out the ribbon cable port with Dupont Freon-TF. Replace all electrolytic capacitors since they're nearing end of life (8-10 years). Also, this was manufactured at the time when there were a lot of counterfeit capacitors being used in electronics.

my Panasonic VT30 plasma started having issues a few months back where there would be a few white lines in the background...wasn't really noticeable except against an all white background...I knew this wasn't a good sign but was hoping I could survive for another year...unfortunately after a few months one day my TV stopped powering on altogether...all I got was 7 blinking lights on the power light button...after looking online this meant the TV was dead and either needed a new circuit board or power supply...I decided it wasn't worth the cost to fix and ended up buying a 2017 LG C7 OLED...I wanted to wait another year before jumping into OLED but couldn't be happier with the TV

point being that once you start noticing issues it's usually the beginning of the end...

Back