Planning to upgrade card for Skyrim

horrorshow

Lakewood Original
Whaddup all!

It's been a while.

Anyways, with Skyrim coming out in November it only makes sense to upgrade my video card.

I've checked out the recommended specs (which I meet), but I'm thinking it best to play it safe and upgrade.

I'm kind of partial towards ATI but open to all suggestions....

Spending ceiling looks to be at most $300 with shipping.

I was thinking an ATI 6950 2GB (2gigs so I'm ready for texture mods later on etc). Keep in mind also my native rez is 1920x1080 and I def want AT LEAST 2x AA / 8x AF.

Oh, I plan to purchase at the beginning of October etc.

Anyways, specs are in my sig. All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Beginning of October? I recommend that you wait till then to ask for advice as rumors are stating that AMD is due to release new GPUs around that timeframe. Even without the new GPUs coming out, a lot can change between now and October when it comes to pricing, availability, etc.

I would just wait. As awesome as Skyrim is going to be, it's still just another dx9 game so I doubt that it's going to be that demanding on video cards. You've also got a 5850 on a 1080p monitor, so you're already kind of at a good performance range for that card.

You have a 5850 now? That should play Skyrim at high settings. I dont think that game is gonna be a gpu hog. I would bet you wont need to upgrade.

A 5850 to a 6950 is not a good upgrade anyway.

Back