planning on purchase for OC, good idea?

boshi

Limp Gawd
I'm planning on building a new A64 system:

Athlon 64 3400+
ABit KV8-Max3
Kingston HyperX Series DDR500 ( do I need this high of RAM?)
Eheim 1048
DangerDen RBX A64
Dangerden z-chip
dangerden blackice pro
( all fittings and tubing will be 1/2" ID )
Enermax noisetaker 470W

Is this gonna overclock well?

should I get a diffrent mobo/RAM?

what are your experiences with a similar/same setup?

I would stick with lower speed DDR that can run more aggressive timings. Perhaps some good PC3500 from Geil or OCZ Platinum.

I'd also use an nForce board so the AGP/PCI slots will have their buses locked.

The shuttle board has the best OCs right now, but you will find a more reliable time with the KV8-Max3. The best RAM you could get would be some PC3500 or PC3200 Mushkin High Performance Black Level II, but its getting more expensive due to high demand and deminishing supplies. Everything else looks good.

I was already going to order almost everything from newegg, and I'm looking for 512 MB, which RAM that they have in stock, or will this weekend that would be good?

I was thinking of the 512MB DDR433 Mushkin Level-One, which is $105

how does this compare to the $145 Level-II 512 MB DDR400 Mushkin?

Mushkin lvl.2 PC3500 would be better because it's guaranteed for 2-2-2- timings. However, I'm pretty sure I've heard reports of Mushkin memory incompatibility with some A64 boards. Make sure the board you choose supports the memory you buy since A64 mobos are very picky.

x.x

how do I make sure it supports it?
I dont really feel like plopping down $20 for the restocking fee and waiting 2 weeks for it to come.

is there any RAM that you know WILL work?

Originally posted by CypHill
I'd also use an nForce board so the AGP/PCI slots will have their buses locked.

nVidia lied, the PCI bus is not locked. Even the AGP bus can fluctuate sometimes when it is supposedly "locked".

As for the ram compatibility issue, just go to the website. I found the Abit KV8-Max3 ram list for you here.

You're absolutely right. I dont think there's any board that can lock PCI on AMD64.

Originally posted by DaveX

As for the ram compatibility issue, just go to the website. I found the Abit KV8-Max3 ram list for you here.

hmm... I notice a lack of mushkin, could that mean incompatibility?

I have been unable to find the KV8 on the Mushkin site, or the Mushkin RAM on the Abit site, would this probably mean incompatibility?

If it's not listed, don't use it...A64 mobos are very picky. It's better to buy something on the list now than to have to RMA non-compatible ram later on.

is there anything JUST about to come out that will be significantly better than what I'm getting?

I heard something about new A64's coming out soon...

where would you suggest I buy it from?
( preferrably with the other stuff I was gonna buy )

no clue, i know dtekcustoms.com sell the 1250, but they dont sell the computer parts i dont think, they sell a lot of watercooling stuff

Swiftech MCP600 is a very good pump also...rated only for 160 gph but has 7.2 FT head!

could you suggest any other places than frozencpu ( which is where I was planning on buying the stuff, though it must be available cheaper elsewhere ).

the components themselves would be coming from newegg.

I am running the Mushkin PC3500 level 1 with the Shuttle AN50R. I have had no problems with it at all and think for the $99 I spent at newegg it is awesome ram. It will not run the tightest timings, but my 512 stick is decent and passes memtest up to 230 with 2-3-3-6 timings.

A couple things I have noticed just for reference, running the memory divider has little effect on perfromance. The raised HTT speed you can run if you lower the CPU divider tends to make up for the loss in memory bandwidth. Case in point, I did several tests at 2450mhz and 2250mhz and difference was around 1-2% at most between running 1:1 or 5:6 with the CPU speed being equal.

Overclocking the A64's takes a little work, but it is fun...I think.

ok boshi im done helping you... i gave you the link right there and yet you are too lazy to even click on it and then ask me how much it is...

Originally posted by Jared701
ok boshi im done helping you... i gave you the link right there and yet you are too lazy to even click on it and then ask me how much it is...

by how much, I was asking about how much noise, I already knew it was only like $10 more than the 1048.

We aren't here to do your research for you...you can always search for reviews on the pump and find out how noisy it is. We can't build your computer for you.

Originally posted by DaveX
We aren't here to do your research for you...you can always search for reviews on the pump and find out how noisy it is. We can't build your computer for you.

Well I wouldn't mind doing it if you're willing to pay handsomely. ;)

yeah, sorry. I decided to get the 1048 anyway because I really dont need THAT much flow. I also like the fittings on the 1048 being the right size.

Thanks for the help!

Back