Planning on making an FX55 SLI computer next month, but have questions?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
OK, the base of my foundation will be an FX55 on an asus A8N-SLI deluxe motherboard, filled with 2 evga's 6800GT's, and RAM of some choice. Here is 1 of many questions to come: I'm looking to run 2GB of ram, but only use 2 slots, making each ram of choice to be 1gb each. I've never owned an AMD processor, but im being told that these AMD chips are very picky with memory, and that my current 2GB of PC3500 ram (512 each, 4 sticks) will not work correctly, so there for leaving me to spend more money on ram :mad: . What ram do you all recommend that will run perfect with the FX55, but yet not to expensive if possible? Thanks very much.

well just about all 1gb sticks of ram are expensive. i'd personally go with the low latency modules from corsair.
and the a64's that are picky with ram are the older ones.. or the ones paired up with boards that have a crappy bios.

I agree, you can almost never go wrong with Corsair RAM. When I first set up my system, I had just some generic RAM I believe. Then my system started to act up, and I was able to deduce that it was the RAM that was causing it to do that. So I picked up a stick of Corsair XMS RAM, and it made all the difference. Not once has my RAM acted up after that.

I run The Gskil PC4400LE memory on mine. Can run 2-2-2-5 @ DDR400 or it can run all the way up to and beyond DDR550. The warranty and support is also second to none.

Captin Insano said:
I run The Gskil PC4400LE memory on mine. Can run 2-2-2-5 @ DDR400 or it can run all the way up to and beyond DDR550. The warranty and support is also second to none.
What is the right speed of ram that I would need for an FX55 system?

i say save your money. If your willing to buy new memory if need be great! However it wont hurt you to try and stick your memory in your new mobo when it arrives to see if it works. If it does then you just saved yourself a few hundred dollars for something else. If it doesnt work then whatever you were prepared to buy new memory anyways

You would be better off running 1 gig at high speed and low latency than two gigs at lower speed/higher latency.

You can get some g.skill that runs 275 at 2.5,3,3,7 and that would rock that fx55. Unless you have a 1000 dollars to drop on low latency 1 gig sticks, and they still won't run even close to 275.

(cf)Eclipse said:
pc3200 (ddr400, 200mhz)[/QUOTE

Ok so AMD rates there stuff different? My P4 needs pc3700 ram becuase of the 232MHz FSB, I thought the FX55 chips FSB is built into the chip, so where does the 200MHZ come in to play? Im sorry for all the questions, but Im really trying hard to understand how AMD's work, becuase i really want one. Thanks

DemonDiablo said:
i say save your money. If your willing to buy new memory if need be great! However it wont hurt you to try and stick your memory in your new mobo when it arrives to see if it works. If it does then you just saved yourself a few hundred dollars for something else. If it doesnt work then whatever you were prepared to buy new memory anyways

I love your thought process!

i agree actually. however, most boards will default to 166mhz with all four slots filled with double sided ram. it's not that it won't work, it'll just be underclocked. there's a possibility that you can "overclock" your ram to make it run at stock, but it's not guarranteed ;)
and if you want, you can save your money by just running 2x512 with the sticks you already have. 1gb is definitly enough for most applications. hell, i'm a gamer, and i barely noticed the difference between 512mb and 1gb.

*props to diablo* :D
you've definitly earned my respect mate

as for the question on how amd rates their stuff..

all a64's have a stock 'htt' of 200mhz (think of this as your fsb).
from this, there is a cpu mulitplier, and an ht link multi.
the ht link should always be kept at or below 1000mhz for stabiliy. no need to worry about this if you don't overclock too much
since the memory controller is integrated to the cpu core, it runs at the cpu speed too, so there is a divider from the cpu speed to set ram speed. if you're up for a technical read, have a look at my sig to find out how a64's set the ram speed.

Back