Planning new gaming rig

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming. I usually play the current cutting edge games.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
I'm looking to spend no more than $1400.
3) Where do you live?
Boston
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
CPU, RAM, MOBO, Video card, Hard Drive, Power Supply, and Case
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Just my 19' LG monitor and maybe an optical drive.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Not at first.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
19' LG 1280x1024 max resolution.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next 2 weeks.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
RAID would be nice. Don't need Firewire, Crossfire, or SLI.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Yeah, sure. Windows 7 - 64bit.

Here are the parts I'm considering so far.

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz (I'm picking this up from a local MicroCenter so it will be $100 less.)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (Seems like G.Skill is the way to go these days and I went with 6GB so the triple channel is utilized.)
EVGA 121-BL-E756-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 Micro ATX ( Note: I'm a one video card kind of guy, so It's very unlikely I'll need Crossfire/SLI.)
XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 (This will be my first Non-Nvidia card ever. Scary stuff.)
OCZ Vertex Turbo OCZSSD2-1VTXT60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (I know very little about SSDs so please let me know if this is a poor choice.)
CORSAIR CMPSU-650HX 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply ( 650W should be enough if I never Crossfire/SLI, right?)
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Hey guys, any feedback or incompatibilties you can see? I plan for make this build last for 3 years or so. The 5850 should last me a long time because I only play at 1280x1024. Current total according to Newegg is $1368.

Thanks in advance.

looks good, although id shoot for the intel ssd vs the ocz. Good otherwise.

How about this?

What is it that makes Intel a better choice than OCZ with these?

If i do go with the Intel one that I linked, will that EVGA mobo I originally linked come with a data cable I can use for the new SSD?

How about this?

What is it that makes Intel a better choice than OCZ with these?

If i do go with the Intel one that I linked, will that EVGA mobo I originally linked come with a data cable I can use for the new SSD?

Yes that is the one I would go with. I would say that is the single most recommended ssd on this site, I believe benchmarks and quality have put it above all others. Check anandtech for the benchies on it.

BTW I just noticed that you are only playing on a 19" monitor at a low resolution. Might I suggest to drop the SSD in favor of a nice 1900x1080 monitor. If not then I would suggest possibly dropping the 5850 to a 5770 as it would be plenty for that resolution.

Yes that is the one I would go with. I would say that is the single most recommended ssd on this site, I believe benchmarks and quality have put it above all others. Check anandtech for the benchies on it.

BTW I just noticed that you are only playing on a 19" monitor at a low resolution. Might I suggest to drop the SSD in favor of a nice 1900x1080 monitor. If not then I would suggest possibly dropping the 5850 to a 5770 as it would be plenty for that resolution.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I'll go with that SSD for sure then.

The new monitor suggestion is good, but I want to stick to 4:3 for the time being. Also, by going a little overkill with the 5850, I should be able to run newer games at max settings for another extra year or so without upgrading.

The Intel X25-M SSDs have fast small random write speeds, but have slower sequential speeds. Conversely, the Indilinx based drives have faster sequential speeds, but slower small random write speeds. When you setup the Indilinx drives in RAID0, the small random write speeds increase enough to more than compensate for the single drive's deficiency. Likewise, when you RAID0 Intel drives, the sequential speeds increase more than enough. Small random write speeds and access times/IOPS are more important for the avg desktop user than sequential speeds. For single SSD usage, the Intel is a better choice because of this. However, Indilinx based drives' small random write speeds and access times are still faster than mechanical drives, so even in a single drive config, it's still a good choice if you can afford it.
http://ssd.alphaq.org

Back