Planning my next build - when will nVidia support PCI-E 4?

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by x509, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

I dont see that it matters and for those that need to purchase, you buy whats on offer.
    You can always wait for the next performance boost but it could be quite a long wait.
    Why do you want to skip it?

2. Ready4Dis

Ready4Dis Gawd

Great, you disagree with it's use, that doesn't change it's meaning. It's been around since the 1800's and is still used today (ir)regardless of whether you like it or not. The man asked what it meant and I answered. If you want to contemplate what words should or should not be used in the English language, maybe a different forum would be a better place. Btw, I prefer regardless but I don't look at people any differently if they use the other term.

Back to topic, I think th best thing about pcie 4.0 is that you can put 2 GPUs in @ 4.0 x8 and have the same speed as having full x16 slots. By itself a single pcie 4.0 GPU with x16 doesn't gain much (anything?) over version 3.0. My hope is this will slowly reduce # of lanes required as you would only need x2 for an nvme to hit the same speeds as current v3 x4. Network cards could either gain bandwidth or use less lanes, USB, etc. It's incremental with pcie version 5 coming up, but we still aren't saturating 3.0, so I feel I have time before 4.0 is deprecated.

3. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

Once we hit PCIe 3.0, the bottlenecks pretty much lifted. After that, power users needed more lanes more than needing more bandwidth per lane, in order to support more devices. Both Intel and AMD have been increasing the number of lanes available through the CPU socket as well as through the chipset PCIe hub in recent iterations.

And the biggest challenge isn't really the speed of the lanes on the board, but the speed used on the devices you want to attach to them. Increasing per-lane bandwidth with PCIe 4.0 and PCIe 5.0 (which is actually already in use elsewhere) is still nice, as it's certainly nice to be 'ahead' of the curve, but it's not really a decision point at this time.

4. cjcox

cjcox [H]ard|Gawd

Actually, what I'm suggesting is that vendors as a whole will skip it with PCIe 5 banging on the door.

Armenius likes this.