[PLANNING] GAMECUBE Mod (NUC + 750 ti)

Mamaun

n00b
Hello,

I'm planning a gamecube nuc modding using a NUC and a small 750 ti.

29p1yxx.jpg

5555bm.jpg

Due to size limitations I need to know if i can mod a m.2 to PCIe x4 adapter to solder it to a PCIe x4 to x16 riser and make it smaller.

nuvpk.jpg

¿What do you think?
¿Can it be done?
¿Will this wiring reduce performance?

Thanks.

I don't think you need to do such wiring, just use the adapter normally. You should have that space made by the distance required for pci-e connection to fit a hard drive or SSD. Gamecube is quite bulky in height.

I don't understand you. I need to fit the M.2 adapter and the PCI riser in the space between GPU and NUC motherboard.

I don't understand you. I need to fit the M.2 adapter and the PCI riser in the space between GPU and NUC motherboard.

Exactly how much clearance do you think you'll have between the GPU and the motherboard? From your mockup it looks like you could have plenty of vertical space between the two. The M.2 adapter would sit flat against the NUC motherboard and the flexible adapter can be folded, so it seems possible that you wouldn't need to modify this. That being said, you can get the 3M's shielded riser custom made to the length you want if you're willing to spend more on the riser!

Yes, that's what I meant. Use the m.2 adapter and the riser normally. You should have enough space to make that distance between the gpu and motherboard. Use created space to mount the drives somehow between the motherboard and gpu

This build will look so cute! haha
Hope you manage it! :D

EDIT: Why don't you use a low profile gtx 750ti? It might give you some clearance for the cabling.

This looks absolutely lovely. Good luck on getting it all together!

Really nice idea of cramming that stuff inside the gamecube.

The wiring of a GPU to the M.2 PCIe x4 port can potentially reduce performance, but it depends on whether the M.2 port is PCIe 3.0 or PCIe 2.0 capable. With PCIe 3.0, you'll hardly notice a difference, the performance hit will be between 0% and 5%. With PCIe 2.0, you'll get a much worse performance hit, up to 15%. Those values were determined with a GTX 980, though, so the impact might be a lot lower with a 750Ti.

I'd also like to mention low-profile 750Ti cards, those will save you quite a bit of space.

Exactly how much clearance do you think you'll have between the GPU and the motherboard? From your mockup it looks like you could have plenty of vertical space between the two. The M.2 adapter would sit flat against the NUC motherboard and the flexible adapter can be folded, so it seems possible that you wouldn't need to modify this. That being said, you can get the 3M's shielded riser custom made to the length you want if you're willing to spend more on the riser!

Yes, that's what I meant. Use the m.2 adapter and the riser normally. You should have enough space to make that distance between the gpu and motherboard. Use created space to mount the drives somehow between the motherboard and gpu

I think I will have 1,1 or 1,3cm between the motherboard and the GPU. In this link you can see that the M.2 adapter is 1,1cm in height; and I've to count the extra mm from the x4 adapter plug. I think i'll be too much.

This build will look so cute! haha
Hope you manage it! :D

EDIT: Why don't you use a low profile gtx 750ti? It might give you some clearance for the cabling.

This looks absolutely lovely. Good luck on getting it all together!

Really nice idea of cramming that stuff inside the gamecube.

The wiring of a GPU to the M.2 PCIe x4 port can potentially reduce performance, but it depends on whether the M.2 port is PCIe 3.0 or PCIe 2.0 capable. With PCIe 3.0, you'll hardly notice a difference, the performance hit will be between 0% and 5%. With PCIe 2.0, you'll get a much worse performance hit, up to 15%. Those values were determined with a GTX 980, though, so the impact might be a lot lower with a 750Ti.

I'd also like to mention low-profile 750Ti cards, those will save you quite a bit of space.

Thanks for the support. I also think that it will be a good looking mod if I can power all with a single (small) power brick.

Waiting for skylate nucs, current models have PCIe 2.0. I was wondering if modding the adapter by wiring it to the externder will reduce the performance even more.

In response to a low profile card. It should help with cable managing and temps, I know :( but here in spain are difficult to obtain, and expensive. I want to keep my budget as low as I can.

PD: Sorry about my english.

Nice project! The handle on the Gamecube should also make it highly portable. I remember when I used to go to smash tournaments, we would lug around a Gamecube in our backpack and they last longer than the Wii's.

How do you calculate the 1.1 to 1.3cm from the motherboard to GPU?

From photoshop (image in mm) and measuring my gamecube case. It's not accurate but it wont be much more.

Got it, it's just that the way you've laid out things in this image

5555bm.jpg

it seems like you could move the motherboard upward and have more room. Do you hit the optical drive or something? Could you remove that? Or, do you intend to make the optical drive functional (even cooler!)

Got it, it's just that the way you've laid out things in this image

http://i60.tinypic.com/5555bm.jpg

it seems like you could move the motherboard upward and have more room. Do you hit the optical drive or something? Could you remove that? Or, do you intend to make the optical drive functional (even cooler!)

I think the optical drive could be replaced with a fan that can pull in air through the opened lid.

I'm planning to maximize airflow without opening the lid.

28i6vf7.jpg

Also I want to make a custom heatsink for the NUC. Using a cooper server heatsink, an Aluminium enclosure and a Kaze Jyu Slim 100 mm scythe fan:

Kaze-Jyu-Slim-100-1000RPM_01.jpg

The fan will get hot air from the top of gamecube and blow it to the rear of the case.

Last edited:
Back