Planning a loop (4930K, 780/780Ti/SLI)

burgerkong

Weaksauce
Thinking of the following:

-Swiftech Apogee Drive 2
-Swiftech MCR320 Drive B
-Up to 2 X GPU blocks (haven't picked one yet)
-Second rad somewhere (if needed)
-Maybe a second reservoir (depending on orientation of the Drive B)

Will be used to cool a 4930K OC'd and up to 2 x 780Ti, although initially we are starting off with just one 780. The Drive B is on clearance for $80, while it isn't a MCP35X like the Apogee Drive 2 (has a MCP350), it's a pretty decent deal with its integrated res. So for around $230 I can get dual pumps in series with a 360mm rad and enough head pressure for a large loop, plus I can add on another rad for minimal cost later on.

Overkill? I did think about complimenting a H220/320/X kit with the Drive B but the stock pump has a lot lower flow rate plus it costs a tad more.

Been putting a loop together myself... made a thread here for advice but didn't get much help til I started ordering things.

Only comment I have is about the second reservoir--as I understand it this is not commonly done because it makes it very difficult to bleed the system.

Overkill, no, however, I can say im not a fan of your pump choice. It comes down to personal preference of course. Especially not a fan of the integrated units, but Im a purist I guess ...

What questions do you really have? It doesnt seem like there is one in there, or do you want a full critique of your choices?

Why don't you get a dual pump-reservoir combo (Dual D5 or Dual MCP35x), it will be more flexible on radiator and/or waterblock choice and you don't have to worry about compatibility. From my experience with watercooling: it's a hobby, so don't rush on it, wait till you save some more and get a decent setup that won't make you regret.

I'm not sure if they are, but the general recommendation is to get matched pumps. I would just get an MCP35x2 if you want redundancy and are looking to save space, the PWM control off the motherboard is nice and having two lets you run the pumps slower.

Do it right. You've got expensive hardware, get the cooling equipment to match.

What is your case?

yea definitely want to spend some time and thought on the pump since its the heart of the system. Making sure you'll have enough flow rate is important. And I thought that integrated pumps dump more heat into the water then standalone.

Integrated does not dump any more heat than standalone, given they are the exact same pumps.

Back