Planning a case, Fragmaster - The Case on Treads!

the easy route would be to get one of these http://www.robotcombat.com/store_machinelab_mmp5.html (the mmp5 if it dosent foward like it should) seperate the electronics on the inside and gut the chassise... and weld in some extra metal and braceing

Height 4.1 inches
Length 10.25 inches
Width 10.25 inches
are the dimintions of that machine

if you go with a yy cube like the one i have(useing it cause i know the dementions) then you have 13.4W x 17.3D x 13.4H so it would be best to first cut it in half front to back and add in the 7"(make it 8 for safey... if needed) needed there to make the weels at the front and back of the case.. then cut it again down the middle and seperate left from right and add in 3.5in (or 5... for that matter)... bolt the 2 cases together and your good to go... other simple moad would be jacks on the back of the moterized unit to plug the batt.s into so you dont have to open the case every time it needs a charde... it migh also be wise to put a source selector on it... so you can isolate the batterys from the rest of the circuitry

also .. as a side note.. you could do almost no modding to the chassise if you go with a sff pc... all you really have to do is bolt the 2 together...

thore

Cube cases - cubedpc.com, mountainmods.com, or a YY cube. Probably several cases on the way with BTX format support. Alternately, do your own case frame and use a LL mobo tray.

Seeing something like a shuttle minicube out doing the RC thing would be more interesting to me than something large and lumbering, but that is a personal preference.

Ok. Thank you... Now, I need your opinions...

POLL

Which type of case should I use?

1. A YY-Cube.
2. An SFF Case.

-----------------

trackplatform.png

That, is from the same company that makes the MMP-5 Platform, and it HAS TREADS!!! Unfortunately, it hasn't came out yet, and it will be tough to put the case on the slanted base. Although, once it does come out, I will probably have the money to buy it... That means, that I can probably even make a stand for the case on it, using metal rods being put straight up from holes drilled in the rear of the platform, holding up a small metal sheet base, screwed down on the front side and on the metal rods. This would allow me to still utilize the door that allows you to get into the inside of the bot, without taking the whole thing apart. I'll have to make a drawing for those who don't get what I am talking about though...

RagE Note: DO NOT directly link images from others' sites. Host them yourself.

NICE!!! How did you find that? And, can you opt your decision in my poll, possibly? I really want everyone's opinion...

i know your all hung up on getting the treads... but remeber... if you go with something as large as a yy cube the treads on that littel bot wont be long enought, you would have to extend them.. or whenever you go over a incline or come to a sharp stop it will tend to want to roll... unless you can get the treads to the edge of the case... (meaning custom tread length... and big$$$) now if you go sff its not such a big deal because you will have a lower center of gravity

now if you got with the 4 wheel setup you can run a better proportioned case, and only slightly modify a chassies to accmodate its size

and as a third option.. you could go with a full(?) atx case like this one http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...24-17.jpg/11-163-024-18.jpg/11-163-024-19.jpg (witch by nature lay on there side when compared to a tower)all you would have to do is build a small frame to rase the bottom of the case up so the treads dont hit it and this would allow you the expandability and full features of a full sized computer (hell you could even water cool it if you want to... ;) :D

and a quick question for Corrugated... heavy metal... can you ride it??? (not saying the chassies is desgined to do so... but as far as power supply and drivetrain capabilitys) looking at the parts used.. im willing to bet you could.. infact im almost willing to bet that thing could pull some one down the street no problem... granted.. short run time .. but still

Ok, I'm gonna allow a few more votes, but it is looking pretty clear that I should get a SFF case. Also, here is a little something that I drew up that explains the case mounting to the MMP-100 Robot Setup.

fm01-01.png

I'm assuming that the MMP-100 is about 1and a half feet long, and the case will be 1 foot long (I am using an SFF for this example).

shuttles seem a little small to be putting on treads so how bout one of those hornet sff's? They're a little bigger and would allow more high end hardware than any shuttle. Just a thought.

thore said:
i know your all hung up on getting the treads... but remeber... if you go with something as large as a yy cube the treads on that littel bot wont be long enought, you would have to extend them.. or whenever you go over a incline or come to a sharp stop it will tend to want to roll... unless you can get the treads to the edge of the case... (meaning custom tread length... and big$$$) now if you go sff its not such a big deal because you will have a lower center of gravity

now if you got with the 4 wheel setup you can run a better proportioned case, and only slightly modify a chassies to accmodate its size

and as a third option.. you could go with a full(?) atx case like this one http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...24-17.jpg/11-163-024-18.jpg/11-163-024-19.jpg (witch by nature lay on there side when compared to a tower)all you would have to do is build a small frame to rase the bottom of the case up so the treads dont hit it and this would allow you the expandability and full features of a full sized computer (hell you could even water cool it if you want to... ;) :D

and a quick question for Corrugated... heavy metal... can you ride it??? (not saying the chassies is desgined to do so... but as far as power supply and drivetrain capabilitys) looking at the parts used.. im willing to bet you could.. infact im almost willing to bet that thing could pull some one down the street no problem... granted.. short run time .. but still

18HP and 480ft/lbs of torque. It can pull a car behind itself if it gets enough traction. Run time is about 30 minutes to an hour depending on load.

You know Blananar, you are a bad influence. All this talk about RC computers has me thinking about a project I shelved about 6 months ago...

ratfinkfront.jpg

ratfinkback.jpg

So, just for the record, I HATE YOU Blananar!!! :D

Corg pretty much just made your idea minus the tread parts, might as well move on to something else more original :D And putting a pre-built case on some treds or wheels isn't exactly new and exciting. :D just my .02

Whoa...

Well, my case is gonna have a foam dart cannon turret mounted on the top... So, it will have a little bit more originality. And, the themes for this case will be military, and hot rod flames... The writing on it will be the same font as the one I used in the drawing up there too... Or maybe military block lettering...

Corrugated said:
18HP and 480ft/lbs of torque. It can pull a car behind itself if it gets enough traction. Run time is about 30 minutes to an hour depending on load.

heh thats more horse power than most rideing lawnmowers... and a hell of alot more torque.. wow

thore

Keep in mind those pictures are over 6 months old. All the hardware, including the stuff you don't see, is now packed away. I had actually forgotten about it until this thread started, but am still way too busy to take on a new project right now.

Back on topic:

I bet if you give the Machine Lab a call they can get you dimentional drawings, or at least an overall size. That would be a huge help in determining the type of case, scale, etc.

Personally (to answer your "voting" question), I would not go with SFF. Now understand that I DID NOT say that it would be a bad idea to go with a sff, I just personally like a little more room. Now (out of curiosity), my question is how big and bad are your planning on making the PC?

Well, I plan on using a Monarch Computer Hornet SFF, and those have a little more room. I plan on making this as big and bad as it can be, with the size restrictions...

Blananar said:
Well, I plan on using a Monarch Computer Hornet SFF, and those have a little more room. I plan on making this as big and bad as it can be, with the size restrictions...

I win!

Ok, I got a reply from The Machine Lab, and here is what it said...

The Machine Lab said:
Kevin,

Thank you for the inquiry. We have been very delinquent in updating the MMP-100 information due to our energies being spent on a mid sized MMP-30 platform will be available in the next few months. We do have enough parts to build two MMP-100's as it stands right now. If you are interested I will send you the PDF brochure.

The cost for one of the new MMP-100 platforms right now would be $5200.

Let me know if you would like me to send the spec sheet.

Zack

Sheesh. That's a pretty big pricetag, considering that the other MMPs, are under $3000. Oh well.

eyedol said:
Buy a power wheels at toys r us and there ya go.... :D

Nah. I am having someone make me a robot platform, for maybe a little over a thousand... Plus, a power wheels would kinda be a little too big...

With a year of planning I sure hope you are able to do the job and do it right. Good luck.

Off I go to start on my ride on power wheels pc mod. :D

anyone remember that gaming controller Thrustmaster made called the FragMaster? man that thing was a POS. But more on topic. It sounds like a cool idea, but you gotta do some custom work on the case to make it look reasonable on the treads.
That shuttle on wheels is definitely lacking a theme.

Ok. I have an estimated cost range for the entire computer. $2500-$3000. No longer $8000. lol.

And, here is the sketchup!!!

p3555834.png

Anyone know of a good free CAD program? Or is there such a thing?

EDIT ::

YES!!! I'm an H-LITE!!!

Blananar said:
Ok. I have an estimated cost range for the entire computer. $2500-$3000. No longer $8000. lol.

Thank you for using some sense. :D As enthusiasts everyone here is going to tell you there's no point in spending 8k on this thing because well....everyone here tends to upgrade many times a year no matter how high end they go(most at least). :)

The fact that this thread is 4 pages long and just a "plan" makes me sad :(

Yeah, and, after this project, I'm not stopping there. My next PC after this one, will be a game server, with game consoles in it... :D Although, that could change...

But, I shouldn't get distracted by that though...

EDIT :: Well, I like detailed planning, and I work best that way. And I actually get things done if I plan in detail at first...

Hmm.... Is there such thing as a completely free one, or one with a longer trial period? Because, even though that looks cool, the trial time sucks...

Well, I am going to plan a compact watercooling setup for this rig, and that means, it will be a futuristic tank mod, with the reservoir on top of the nerf dart cannon, and the water using red dye, to make it look like the cannon is "plasma" fueled, and the cannon sits on top of the pump, which sits on a level above, but not on top of the Radiator (a mini one with a single 80mm fan setup... So, here is how the watercooling will be set up...

Reservoir > Pump > CPU Waterblock (the LGA 775 Polarflo TT) > Chipset Waterblock > GPU Waterblock > Radiator > Pump > Reservoir. (yes, it goes through the pump twice in one cycle...)

And, the window will be like a hatch. It opens and closes on a hinge, and it is circular, with a metal ring around it...

And, yes, no more flame designs...

JanCzechGuy said:
you my friend....need a life...

here is an idea for you...save that 8 grand that u want to spend on a pc, buy pc for 2 grand max. And buy a car with the rest when you get a drivers license...trust me when u get older and start hanging around girls...u will be kicking urself in the ass for wasting 8,000 dollars on a stupid "robot computer" :rolleyes:

l m f a o

are you guys saying those robots are powered by the computer in terms of using the computer it has to send signals from the user as to what to do and where to go?... or is the computer on just for show?

i m really interested now :rolleyes:

I say we ban anyone from making threads that start with "I'm planning on....."

that way we wont have to listen to people talk about what they dream about doing but dont have the necessary skills to make.

Back