Planning a case, Fragmaster - The Case on Treads!

Blananar

Weaksauce
Well, I found a really cool website, that is a Battlebots Parts Shop, and it is perfect for the remote control drive system for what I am going to put on a case. It even has a set of dubs, snowblower treads to be exact, for the system. I am going to use a Cooler Master CM-Stacker, with wireless EVERYTHING, even the power source charges up. (And that is 2 520 Watt Power Supplies.) I don't have the specs for the system, only the mods, as I am currently saving up funds to get it, and by the time I get the cash (a year or so), the latest hardware of today, will be obsolete already.

Any more ideas, comments, input? I'd love to hear em'...

and how are you going to power this thing off batteries again?

i hope you dont mean like the actuall pc will be running off batteries, and you were just refering to the bot or whatnot...

anyway if you pull it off should definately be cool :)

The RC unit will use rechargable battery packs (4), but the PC, will have two psu's, that hook up to a charger that is 1040 watts or higher (2 520 watt psu's), and after they charge, the PC will be able to move around. When fixated in lan use though, it will dock at the charger or a normal power outlet.

I think you have the wrong idea about PSUs. While they do hold a charge for a bit, that’s only the capacitors that are charged, its not enough to power a PC. Since water analogies are so great in electronics here is an example using a hose and a squirt gun:

A battery is like a super soaker squirt gun, your completely mobile, and can dish out some water, but eventually your going to run out.
A Power supply on the other hand is like a hose connected to a faucet with a nozzle on the end. You can select from a lot of different spray types, and you have unlimited ammo, but you can only go so far before you run out of hose. You can turn the faucet off, and still get one more squirt out of the nozzle but then it dies down (symbolizing the capacitor charge)

What you MAY want to look at are called UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supplies) They will allow you to run the computer for a short time, maybe 10 min at most, but are big and rather heavy :(

Well, then, what I might want to do is maybe get a car battery! Or, just use a UPS, rated at 1040+ watts, and have that on a trailer behind it, or something like that...

OR!!! I could just use the mobility of the case when the PC is turned off, so, I could do stuff like taking it to LAN Parties, and messing around! This way, I could still go wired as well!!!

I must say, that link is a good resource.

I wonder how well a store would hold up that sold all kinds of crazy items like that and other rare modding materials......hmmm

Yeah, a modding shop like that would be cool...

UPDATE!!!

I need to know if there is anything to tint normal clear surfaces, with a red tint. If there is, I got my window solution...

They make that color of tint for cars? SWEET!!! Would it work on polycarbonate windows?

BUMP!!!

Okay, so, no more Radio Control, just treads. And, plus, a rotating turret foam dart cannon on the top, that looks like an actual tank cannon, and, the polycarbonate side window will be tinted in a regular - ultra dark black tint, with FOUR 120mm fans, in each corner, all with those tribamental flame variant #1 120mm fangrills that bonzanego makes, and the fans will be 4 Red LED fans.

If you have any questions regarding the bot part, feel free to ask. The robot marketplace is an excellent source for parts. The individual companies are also very willing to assist you with any questions you have.

p.s. trailers don't work well with skid type steering.

SWEET!!! Two of the best modders EVER, replied!! Something tells me that I actually thought of something good for a change!!!

Yea, Corg8d (I might as well call you as that because that's how I know you best as, as a fellow Twisted Forums user), I am probably actually gonna do what you did with Heavy Metal, and put on the wheels first, and RC next, as I won't have the funds needed for all of it right away. And, by the way, does Heavy Metal's PC part operate when "running around"? If so, how did you do it? If not, and there is no way to do it, I'll just have it move around when it is turned off...

im willing to bet the pc dosent run while the R/C is on... spinning harddrives + movement/bumps = bad... if im not mistaken most moderen hd's can take (as i look at my seagates) 350g's non operational shock... (the equiv. of being dropped from 3.5ft and comeing to a dead stop) where as the operational shock is less than 9g's the equiv. of being droped from about 6 in, (give or take... as memory serves) (/edit i beleave they had to make it at least 9 g's so that they could use them in military aircraft.. the best flyers cant handel much more than 9 g's for more than a few seconeds at a time.. (again as memery serves))

so haveing the pc on while driveing whould be a bad idea.. unless you plan on going solid state... :D

thore

Ok, cool. I guess then, no moving while on... So, then, I am also going to get a large sheet of diamond plate aluminum, and make a ramp for moving the computer out of the car, as the car that would be hauling it would be my parent's van (I don't even have a permit yet, so don't get me started...). Plus, to make it easier, the van has a pneumatic sensor operated load desensitizer, which automatically lowers the backend when weight is put on it. So, the plan for getting it out, to a LAN Party, is like this...

1. Attach the ramp to the van's bumper. (it fits snugly, so it doesn't move, which would be very bad if it did)

2. (W/out Radio Control stuff) Grab the PC, roll it down the ramp gently...

2. (W/ Radio Control stuff) Align the PC on the ramp, and accellerate it slowly down the ramp.

3. Move on with the PC to the door, ring the doorbell, be invited into the LAN Party, and as you walk in, with the PC, smile as the fellow gamers are in a state of awe...

:D

you my friend....need a life...

here is an idea for you...save that 8 grand that u want to spend on a pc, buy pc for 2 grand max. And buy a car with the rest when you get a drivers license...trust me when u get older and start hanging around girls...u will be kicking urself in the ass for wasting 8,000 dollars on a stupid "robot computer" :rolleyes:

JanCzechGuy, So your basically saying anyone who mods computes needs a life eh? Ive never seen a good robot computer mod, and i personally want to see him go though with it!
I guess my attempt to build my own robot arm seems dumb to you too? Even though it is my carrer field after all?

Were case modders! We do ideas just because we haven’t seen them done before! if you cant get this idea in your head, then you should find a different forum :D

Blananar --- Go for it!

Yeah, I would like to see a 16 year old change the world by a computer robot (though I think it already has been done). I can imagine seeing him walk through QuakeCon 2005 or 2006 waiting in line to the entrance area holding the RC telling the computer robot where to go. Famous, he'd be! Famous! Good luck, though it'd attract more nerds than women.

-J.

The AZ [H]'ers have really been putting it down lately. G'luck on your project. I say "don't overthink it" because I know that's the death of many of my projects. I plan it out too much and think it's too much work and scrap the idea. I say get the resources, then start planning :p

Rombus said:
JanCzechGuy, So your basically saying anyone who mods computes needs a life eh? Ive never seen a good robot computer mod, and i personally want to see him go though with it!
I guess my attempt to build my own robot arm seems dumb to you too? Even though it is my carrer field after all?

Were case modders! We do ideas just because we haven’t seen them done before! if you cant get this idea in your head, then you should find a different forum :D

Blananar --- Go for it!

im not saying that who mods a computer needs a life but this kid wants to spend 8 grand on it and he doesnt even have the money yet. if he was someone whos established with wife and kids and had that money left over then go for it, but this kid is gonna regret it. WOW so what that hes gonna turn few heads at quakecon, that isnt gonna get him laid.

Take my advice go out, meet some girls and u will forget about spending so much money ona pc...i guarantee u that.

Ok, JanCzechGuy, I AM NOT going to spend $8000 on this at first. Only $4000, and then, I spend around $2000 more, and that makes $6000. If you have a problem with that, please, YOU GET A LIFE, as it is MY decision, AND NOT YOURS!!! Got it?

Thank you everyone else, for your support though...

lol .......you guys are taking these comments wayyyy too seriously.

FYI 6-8g's is a lot....downsize :D

A couple of comments regarding ramps and the project. I have found through personal experience that brakes are essential. Most speed controllers sold through the robot marketplace have the ability to electronically brake. I added switches so I had the option of turning them on and off independently for the front and rear, but found myself leaving them on all the time. The brakes will engage whenever the controller is at neutral.

I have also found with the first version of Heavy Metal that solid axles front and rear made it a bear to turn. If you are still going to use tracks, then no big deal as they are independent left and right. If you are going for wheels, then make sure to split the axel, or better yet, prep the lower chassis to take the batteries, motors, controllers, etc..., and then add them later.

Good luck on yuour project, and as I said before, feel free to ask if you have questions.

Are you sure you have the knowlegde to carry out a project like this? As a 20 year old design engineering student with a background in RC racing cars, i can tell you this project is not going to be as easy as it sounds, if you want a do a good job that is. Maybe its the perfectionist in me, but if your planning to spend 2g's kitting out this RC base unit for your case you would be better off spending those 2g's on a beast of an RC car. I can tell you that a 1/8th scale nitro buggy with over 3hp and 3kg (1000hp per ton- a ferrari enzo has 485hp per ton :D ) to haul around is going to be much more fun than a pc on treads.
Ive spent the last 2 days planning building a case out of plain old MDF, and its harder than you would first think, and thats with 2 years of a design degree under my belt (and im in line for a first class degree before you start slating that). I remember when robot wars first took off in this country a few years back and we all wanted to build the biggest baddest robot to take on the rest, but its not as simple as it sounds, unless youre a really gifted 16 year old ;) Things like this need a lot of skill, mechanical engineering and electronics experience, and access to some big powerful machinery.
Trust me on this, save the money, put it towards your first car+ the insurance or a trip round the world when you're older. Fair enough you want to have a tricked out computer, but when you mature a bit more ( . . . explecting flack on that one, but i speak from experience . . . ) you'll understand.

Matt.

Video of Heavy Metal

Who says RC cars are more fun. :D

Not to mention...

mobo1.jpg

mobo2.jpg

mobo4.jpg

mobo5.jpg

mobo6.jpg

Admittedly, it was more fun in person...

hehe yeah i watched that a while back, thats an awesome bit of RC engineering. Respect is due :D But for a novice at this type of project an RC would be a good stepping stone- taking on too big a project can soon lead to being bored if you dont really know what you are doing. I worked in an RC store for a while, and even first timers at RC stuff are best starting simple before stepping up to nitro buggies and such like, so taking the plunge and sinking 2k into a custom project like this without even basic knowledge of speed controllers, power supplies and mech engineering can never be a good idea.

I would have to agree with that if you have no or little experience with RC, moving into this class of RC building can be intimidating. Not to mention the potential extra costs if something breaks *cough*speed controllers*cough*.

While I do agree, I really want to do this, and I'm sure I can find tons of people to help me. My Dad is an Engineer, although a software engineer for Intel, he still has some experience with Electronic Engineering, as that is what he first went into college for. Plus, I could probably find tons of other people to help too, such as the wonderful people here. I also know an Auto Body Mechanic, and he could probably be another big help. I want to hammer this out, and who cares if it isn't as good as it could have been, it will be a fun, learning experience...

BTW :: I have a year or so to save up, so, I'll be doing some reading on the subject...

I can certainly help with the mechanical, elecrical, modeling, etc..., once you determine the general concept. Do you know yet if you are sticking with tracks?

egon_dude said:
Are you sure you have the knowlegde to carry out a project like this? As a 20 year old design engineering student with a background in RC racing cars, i can tell you this project is not going to be as easy as it sounds, if you want a do a good job that is. Maybe its the perfectionist in me, but if your planning to spend 2g's kitting out this RC base unit for your case you would be better off spending those 2g's on a beast of an RC car. I can tell you that a 1/8th scale nitro buggy with over 3hp and 3kg (1000hp per ton- a ferrari enzo has 485hp per ton :D ) to haul around is going to be much more fun than a pc on treads.
Ive spent the last 2 days planning building a case out of plain old MDF, and its harder than you would first think, and thats with 2 years of a design degree under my belt (and im in line for a first class degree before you start slating that). I remember when robot wars first took off in this country a few years back and we all wanted to build the biggest baddest robot to take on the rest, but its not as simple as it sounds, unless youre a really gifted 16 year old ;) Things like this need a lot of skill, mechanical engineering and electronics experience, and access to some big powerful machinery.
Trust me on this, save the money, put it towards your first car+ the insurance or a trip round the world when you're older. Fair enough you want to have a tricked out computer, but when you mature a bit more ( . . . explecting flack on that one, but i speak from experience . . . ) you'll understand.

Matt.

This man speaks nothing but truth in this statement :D ...........I only agree cuz I'm not sure if the threadstarter has a modding history to begin with.

I can understand spending 200 bucks on a case, but $2,000 on a mod??? :confused:

Damn...

Blananar said:
even the power source charges up. (And that is 2 520 Watt Power Supplies.)
You're being awfully ambitious for somebody thats
A: under 16
B: not yet funded
C: inexperienced
D: doesn't know how PSUs work

A few thoughts:

If you aren't going to build for over a year, wait on parts purchases until then. Everything - RC tech included should see some tech revisions or price drops, if not both. Doing design or 3D modeling of the assembly will help organize your thoughts and garner feedback. The more automated you can make your calculations the easier it will be to change your specs- i.e. power usage of components in a spreadsheet, run times on batteries, etc.

As suggested previously, if you can do a seperate drive module with the case module attached to the top, you can build in two phases.

A cube type case will give you a lower center of gravity -between ramps and natural inclines on some sidewalks but a high center of gravity from a tower will create a bunch of additional headaches.

Ok. Any suggestions on what cube case to get? I want it to be under $200 though...

EDIT ::

GLSauron said:
You're being awfully ambitious for somebody thats
A: under 16
B: not yet funded
C: inexperienced
D: doesn't know how PSUs work

Yeah, and you're being awfully knowitally, for somebody that
A: hasn't read the whole thread
B: hasn't seen that someone else said that on page one
C: hasn't seen that the PC will only run around when it is turned off
D: doesn't know the obvious fact that I don't care

So are you not going through with the RC stuff and simply putting tracks on it? Maybe I misunderstood something but I have read both of your threads and don't feel like rereading.

Okay. Here is the order of operations...

Phase 1 - Planning & Research :: This is the phase I am currently in. This phase involves in depth research of how to go about the mod, and planning how I am going to do it...

Phase 2 - Case and Mods :: This step involves buying the case and mods for it ONLY, and putting it together. The parts included in this phase are the following...

1. Case. This will be a cube case, although I don't know what to get for it...
2. Tracks. Self explanitory.
3. RC Driveline. This makes it move...
4. Other miscellaneous mods. Window, dremelwork, fans, fangrills, lighting,etc...

Phase 3 - System Assembly :: This step involves the buying of the main computer system, and putting it together. This includes the rest of the complete system.

Phase 4 - Testing and Completion :: This step involves making sure that the system works ok, and drives well too. It also includes showing it off. ;)

So, I will be getting the RC parts...

What do you need two 520 watt power supplies for? I'm not sure if I understand you, but you say you want the power system to recharge wirelessly? How? I started to say something about voodoo free energy schemes, but my rambling mind when too far way too quickly and way too easily.

Back