Planing for Backplane Failure with a ZFS Pool?

unholythree

Limp Gawd
I'm starting to outgrow my current storage a 4 disk stripe of mirrors zpool; so better late than never I'm jumping on the SE3016 bandwagon. I'd eventually like to build a new array of 6 to 8 disks in a raidz2 but I can't decide on the safest arrangement of disks.

My current thinking is this: no matter how I arrange the disks there will always be at least two pairs sharing a backplane. If a backplane with two disks in my raidz2 pool fails I'm now badly degraded; however if I have three or more on that backplane the pool is faulted.

It seems that oddly enough it would be better for the pool to fault-out. I could then export the pool, move disks off the failed backplane, and import the pool intact. Does this like a reasonable plan, or is there something I'm missing?

Backplane failures can have different effects. They can kill your drives or just disconnect them without any permanent damage.

It is mostly overkill.

For a home system, the pool going offline isn't the end of the world. Just fix the backplane and reboot the server.

A lot of businesses don't protect against a backplane failure. With sas though, generally you will have two backplanes on each sas disk, limiting the failure to a whole shelf failure.

If you take the SE3016, remove the expander, you would have 4 backplanes sharing a common psu though.

You can have a script or something that will alert you if the pool degrades, or shut down the server.

I have had some mainboard, psu or hba problems in the past.
I have had many, many disk failures.

But I have never had a backplane failure.
- overkill -

Back