Planetside 2 to Get New Continent, New Faction, and DX11 Upgrade

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Planetside 2 is ancient news, and most people seem to think the MMO FPS died with Sony Online Entertainment awhile go. But, as it turns out, the game's development team is alive and kicking, and they've announced a slew of new content. 2 months ago, the devs revealed an entire new continent for the game, and yesterday, on the game's 6th anniversary, the devs showed off a ton of other improvements in a live stream. Among other things, the game is getting a port from DirectX 9 to DirectX 11, which should massively improve the performance of both the PC and PS4 versions. Additionally, a whole new lone wolf faction is being introduced to help balance faction populations.

Yesterday's livestream had a ton of filler, but you can check out a shorter preview of the new continent here.

The team announced PlanetSide 2's next continent: Oshur. Oshur will consist of multiple islands that will harbor a variety of biomes. The map will encourage a logistical style of play, and the land will best be traversed by aircraft.

Looking forward to this. Planetside 2 is long in the tooth but there is still no other comparable MMOFPS on the market. Hopefully this is a boost to the waning player population.

Yeah. In the stream, they also mentioned a marketing push that will accompany the DX11 update.

Emerald's server population is mostly OK, but from what I heard, the other servers are indeed suffering.

This was needed 3 years ago. It may just dig itself out of the grave though.

The decision to build such an ambitious network complex game on Direct x 9 was just dumb.

Last edited:
Miss playing this, thank you thief for stealing my rig!
Shame they got rid of hives, loved solo busting them.

Always was interested in the concept of Planetside but just never was able to truly get into the game. Maybe I’ll try again.

Miss playing this, thank you thief for stealing my rig!
Shame they got rid of hives, loved solo busting them.
They're coming back! Sort of. Now they'll be in fixed locations as part of an event, where whoever deposits the most cortium in them wins.
Always was interested in the concept of Planetside but just never was able to truly get into the game. Maybe I’ll try again.
You aren't the only one, it's a tough game to get into. Most PS2 players are hardened vets at this point, and its structured so that new players are basically cannon fodder.

In case y'all can't tell, I'm a big fan of PS2. If anyone needs help starting out on VS/Emerald, just PM me and I can give you rides in a Liberator or Mag.

They're coming back! Sort of. Now they'll be in fixed locations as part of an event, where whoever deposits the most cortium in them wins. You aren't the only one, it's a tough game to get into. Most PS2 players are hardened vets at this point, and its structured so that new players are basically cannon fodder.

In case y'all can't tell, I'm a big fan of PS2. If anyone needs help starting out on VS/Emerald, just PM me and I can give you rides in a Liberator or Mag.
Doubt hives will be fun again, I hated it when they started to nerf locations like filling in the NW pit arch of Indar because people didn't know how to bust hives placed under it with constructs sealing both ends.
Did they nerf the foxhole location at NS Material Storage where you can seal the ground with a sky shield?

Eww, VS, live free in the NC!

Last edited:
Whoa, I forgot about this and I was super into it for the first few months. Gonna look at getting back into it.

Actually a pretty fun game, just like the first one. At launch it was a bit of a mess, but it did get better.

I played this with my son quite a bit before playing with a parent became horrifically uncool.

Whoa, I forgot about this and I was super into it for the first few months. Gonna look at getting back into it.
You weren't super into it unless you grabbed a max at the WG and walked across the other side of the map to fight! Oh the good old days of first playing it.

I quit Planetside 2 for over two years to play Elder Scrolls Online, PUBG, and some others. Started playing it again this summer on a whim just to see what changed. Answer is, not a lot, but a few things. I'm back playing it though as my main game.

there is still no other comparable MMOFPS on the market.

Pretty much this. No other game can support so many players at the same place at the same time fighting each other without the servers buckling from load. Planetside 2 routinely has 200+ players at one fight and the servers don't flinch, Elder Scrolls Online meanwhile has crippling lag if 40 players are at the same Cyrodiil keep. Somehow, whoever wrote the netcode behind Planetside 2 did a brilliant job that no other game can replicate. That's what keeps it relevant.

Here's the biggest announcement from yesterday's livestream (timestamped link):

Pretty huge, I think a lot of people won't like it, but for players who think shooting mans is too easy, and want more prestige for killing with more restrictions, I think its right up their alley.

such a waste, if you are going to overhaul the game do it correctly, go to dx12/vulkan to counter the cpu issue your game is having, upgrading the graphic engine would please players more than a new continent, and maybe bring new players in 2018 to 6 years old game.

Great game, have a few thousand hours in it along with PS1. Sadly the base design did not evolve much past the original developers vision of Battlefield"side"; meaning base captures were out in the wide open and vehicles (air and ground) could wreak havok upon them. They did some changes which helped this base issue but it still persists.

Then they severely nerfed ground vehicles about a year or so ago and the person that made the changes had no idea about how ground vehicles worked. I left the game at this time (I think I have 13-17 days played time in a Harasser vehicle).

It still has a great infantry ground game and there is no other game that has the scale and scope of the warring factions.

I personally don't like the direction the game is going in, implants and other carrot on the stick advancement progressions don't do it for me; they are not emergent game play.

As far as salty vets playing the game and new players are cannon fodder? The game has a steep learning curve but many games do. Grab a friend or more and go have some coordinated fun (best part of the game, be it part of infantry, air or ground vehicle).

Last edited:
Somehow, whoever wrote the netcode behind Planetside 2 did a brilliant job that no other game can replicate. That's what keeps it relevant.

IIRC there was a pretty dense shooter on the PS3? And there are some potentially dense MMOs in the pipe, like the SpatialOS stuff and DU.

But yeah, 6 years ago PS2's netcode was freaking black magic, and it still is today, even with all the battle royale hype. And they did it all with DirectX 9.

If you give this game a try, do team up with people and cooperate/strategize. It's way more fun that way. Solo/rambo shit does help.

Going
such a waste, if you are going to overhaul the game do it correctly, go to dx12/vulkan to counter the cpu issue your game is having, upgrading the graphic engine would please players more than a new continent, and maybe bring new players in 2018 to 6 years old game.

Going DX12 or vulkan route probably need major haul on the game engine itself. Take DOTA2 for example. There is vulkan version of the game that being develop but on windows based machine DX11 version of the game still faster and a whole lot more stable. DX12? that API is exclusive to win 10 only. So it might not be able to benefit majority of the existing player base. And looking how even majority of triple A dev still can't get DX12 right going with DX11 route probably much wiser choice for the game. I still remember some star trek online game was being updated from DX9 to DX11 (i think there is even article here doing the testing) and they was able to improve the performance up to 20%.

IIRC there was a pretty dense shooter on the PS3? And there are some potentially dense MMOs in the pipe, like the SpatialOS stuff and DU.

But yeah, 6 years ago PS2's netcode was freaking black magic, and it still is today, even with all the battle royale hype. And they did it all with DirectX 9.

yeah agree.. but i still can't bring my self to support them after they basically gave everyone that spent months suffering through their alpha/beta testing at sub 30fps the middle finger by reverting all the changes we fought so hard to get made when the final release happened. not to mention the flat out lying that the game would never become a pay to win game..

yeah agree.. but i still can't bring my self to support them after they basically gave everyone that spent months suffering through their alpha/beta testing at sub 30fps the middle finger by reverting all the changes we fought so hard to get made when the final release happened. not to mention the flat out lying that the game would never become a pay to win game..

The new company or the old company (SOE)? Honestly, I don't dig into the politics behind it much... the game is just a jump on and play zone-out time for me.

The new company or the old company (SOE)? Honestly, I don't dig into the politics behind it much... the game is just a jump on and play zone-out time for me.

was under SOE, are they not owned by Sony anymore?

Yeah they haven't been owned by SOE for a couple years. It's Daybreak Games now. They've been pretty good for the community IMO.

hmmmm shit didn't know that.. ok maybe i'll have to retract my hatred and look into the game again.

They need to get rid of Wrel, dude is a complete tool.

and I agree with others, this update was needed a long time ago.

Back