Planetside 2 PS4 closed beta, sign up!

Except that if a beta experience is say not very good the word of mouth can kill sales for release. People are much more critical of beta's and with good reason because they often despite warnings from the provider otherwise sadly represent a frequent state of release with major releases.

If I play the PS2 PS4 beta and its really buggy or there are performances issues with the servers then I for instance would probably pass on it until it was in the bargin bin. I no longer have the patience to deal with launch issues for MP games.

So a slow trick closed beta release is probably quite the smart thing to do. Dial up the servers and squash bugs as they arise versus slamming them with numbers and giving everyone the overall impression that its a total mess.

As much as I want to agree with your statement, I cannot.

With the limited amount of free 2 play games on the Playstation Store, Planetside 2 will be the most popular in terms of average time played and total downloads. I actually think it will be dubbed as the "MUST TRY" game for all ps4 owners.

Here is why:

1. Epic large scale of players, this is the first time consoles have been able to play with such a massive number of players.
(DC universe and Final Fantasy are also mmos, but generally dont have hundreds of players duke it out in one scene.)

2. Completely FREE 2 PLAY (You've compared the game as if we have to purchase the final release.) How often does a player who is bored of their current game selection, browse the PS store for games that are free to play? I definitely do. Also to mention, Planetside 2 WILL NOT require PSPlus to play.

3. This is a Sony game. Noone knows the Playstation 4 better than the creators themselves. My reason for stating this is because A. Planetside 2 has been out for a while now(2012). B. Most of the bugs have been pretty much wiped out already. Porting this over is much easier as the owner and developer of both Planetside 2 and the Playstation 4.

As for the beta, I'd be extremely surprised to see this as an ongoing closed beta to the end of 2014. Why?
The hype of this game cannot afford such a delay. Developers are more focused on fixing the PS4 side than the PC, why? Because of what I said about most bugs already fixed. So now they can fully focus on the PS4 side. What I could see them doing is release the game as an open beta like Warframe or Blacklight Retribution. But then agin, what would be the point? lol

Conclusion:

I see no reason this game can't be fully released by late spring or early summer.

Last edited:
Just because Sony knows its hardware doesn't mean the Planetside 2 team has a straight line with Sony HQ or the engineering team you do realize? Very few corporations have such quality internal communication and often are mired in nonsense especially between regions.

Sony having just bitten off more than it could chew with H1Z1 and its release issues and paid for DLC PR flub is another sign of possible trouble within its development group. However H1Z1 is alpha build game so it has that as an excuse.

PS2 being F2P does not mean anything. You want to unlock skins or weapons? Get ready to grind out 10-20 hours per item. No one has 10-20 hours to throw away for a skin and if they do they are a minority. So instead people will buy that skin or item for real money. There is NO SUCH THING as completely free to play EXCEPT for mods. On average for F2P games people spend at least $10. 3 percent spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars. F2P games are hugely profitable.

This game won't be labeled as a "must try". You do realize MAG supported hundreds of players at once and it was a PS3 game? This isn't the first taste Sony gamers have had of such massive FPS gaming. If you knew of PS2 its because you knew of it before the PS4 was even released and hoped for it to release on it. Word of mouth isn't going to gain its audience. PS2 isn't exactly a gigantic community.

If this game is released without rock solid stability it'll be yet another dent in the armor of next gen false promises. Console gamers are getting fucked in many ways this generation. If PS2 isn't fully fleshed out before release I could easily see this becoming the next great controversy. PS2 was one of the most anticipated games for the PS4 and Sony isn't known for managing its games very well.

Just because Sony knows its hardware doesn't mean the Planetside 2 team has a straight line with Sony HQ or the engineering team you do realize? Very few corporations have such quality internal communication and often are mired in nonsense especially between regions.

Sony having just bitten off more than it could chew with H1Z1 and its release issues and paid for DLC PR flub is another sign of possible trouble within its development group. However H1Z1 is alpha build game so it has that as an excuse.

PS2 being F2P does not mean anything. You want to unlock skins or weapons? Get ready to grind out 10-20 hours per item. No one has 10-20 hours to throw away for a skin and if they do they are a minority. So instead people will buy that skin or item for real money. There is NO SUCH THING as completely free to play EXCEPT for mods. On average for F2P games people spend at least $10. 3 percent spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars. F2P games are hugely profitable.

This game won't be labeled as a "must try". You do realize MAG supported hundreds of players at once and it was a PS3 game? This isn't the first taste Sony gamers have had of such massive FPS gaming. If you knew of PS2 its because you knew of it before the PS4 was even released and hoped for it to release on it. Word of mouth isn't going to gain its audience. PS2 isn't exactly a gigantic community.

If this game is released without rock solid stability it'll be yet another dent in the armor of next gen false promises. Console gamers are getting fucked in many ways this generation. If PS2 isn't fully fleshed out before release I could easily see this becoming the next great controversy. PS2 was one of the most anticipated games for the PS4 and Sony isn't known for managing its games very well.

You seam to have a grudge on Sony. Lol

My point is that, this game won't take as long as you expect.
And the fact that this is the PS4s bread and butter.

You're comparing M.A.G 256 players(locked) vs 2000 players(not locked). Locked as in free to roam the full amount of players at once. M.A.G wasn't an MMO and 60 square kilometer maps eitherANS as you said, takes hundreds and hundreds of hours to unlock everything.
Yes M.A.G was the ONLY exception for going beyond 64 players in a console shooter (BF4). But the two are completely different games.

For your doubt in Sony HQ and their Dev team SOE, I'd like to take that statement with a grain of salt. What other AAA company has multiple high ranked figures constantly blogging or tweeting updates and responds to fans? Matt Higbey, John Smedley, Clint Worley etc..

This team of devs Sony has, is quite impressive in my book. Every single game company has had a bad rep and good rep. I'm a firm believer that Planetside 2 will knock the piss out of most games in the future for the PS4.

I've known about Planetside since the original. I've played both quite a lot. I have never purchased a single thing in PS2. Maybe I am the lesser of those who don't. But still, free to play is free to play. What I'm saying, is it will be the general norm to have PS2 on any gamer PS4 who likes shooters. That's it.

Have faith in Sony brah. Clearly you are a fan of them or the game, I think they are doing a fine job.

And yes, H1Z1 is alpha, so whatever can be said about it is null void. I agree.

Last edited:
You seam to have a grudge on Sony. Lol

My point is that, this game won't take as long as you expect.
And the fact that this is the PS4s bread and butter.

You're comparing M.A.G 256 players(locked) vs 2000 players(not locked). Locked as in free to roam the full amount of players at once. M.A.G wasn't an MMO and 60 square kilometer maps eitherANS as you said, takes hundreds and hundreds of hours to unlock everything.
Yes M.A.G was the ONLY exception for going beyond 64 players in a console shooter (BF4). But the two are completely different games.

For your doubt in Sony HQ and their Dev team SOE, I'd like to take that statement with a grain of salt. What other AAA company has multiple high ranked figures constantly blogging or tweeting updates and responds to fans? Matt Higbey, John Smedley, Clint Worley etc..

This team of devs Sony has, is quite impressive in my book. Every single game company has had a bad rep and good rep. I'm a firm believer that Planetside 2 will knock the piss out of most games in the future for the PS4.

I've known about Planetside since the original. I've played both quite a lot. I have never purchased a single thing in PS2. Maybe I am the lesser of those who don't. But still, free to play is free to play. What I'm saying, is it will be the general norm to have PS2 on any gamer PS4 who likes shooters. That's it.

Have faith in Sony brah. Clearly you are a fan of them or the game, I think they are doing a fine job.

And yes, H1Z1 is alpha, so whatever can be said about it is null void. I agree.

I really don't have a grudge against them I just don't think they are a very good developer of cross platform between their main console at the time and the PC.

This beta is being handled in a weird way. Having a hundred thousand people register for what appears to be a 2,000-3,000 max closed beta is quite a weird way to go about doing any kind of beta.

However I stand by my statement about going from 60 fps to 30 fps. That was a huge mistake. Planetside 2 is a not an ultra demanding game and it can easily run at over 60 fps on even a lower end machine now. I think that the gameplay difference between 30 and 60 is astoundingly huge when you factor in big FPS battles. The flow of combat is critical to any game but in large scale FPS games its even more of an issue.

I wanted to migrate moving from the PC to the couch in a nice easy manner but now that the game is limited by half the frame rate I see no point in that. Sony has the best console in town in terms of graphics and they should have made 60 fps more of a priority even sacrificing graphically for it. Some games simply must have that requirement. Instead it seems they've gone for the easy goal.

I really don't have a grudge against them I just don't think they are a very good developer of cross platform between their main console at the time and the PC.

This beta is being handled in a weird way. Having a hundred thousand people register for what appears to be a 2,000-3,000 max closed beta is quite a weird way to go about doing any kind of beta.

However I stand by my statement about going from 60 fps to 30 fps. That was a huge mistake. Planetside 2 is a not an ultra demanding game and it can easily run at over 60 fps on even a lower end machine now. I think that the gameplay difference between 30 and 60 is astoundingly huge when you factor in big FPS battles. The flow of combat is critical to any game but in large scale FPS games its even more of an issue.

I wanted to migrate moving from the PC to the couch in a nice easy manner but now that the game is limited by half the frame rate I see no point in that. Sony has the best console in town in terms of graphics and they should have made 60 fps more of a priority even sacrificing graphically for it. Some games simply must have that requirement. Instead it seems they've gone for the easy goal.

I agree, the way they are structuring invites is weird.

I don't see why they still have sign ups open.

They should of been more clear on this.

Sooooo
Planetside 2 tweeted out last week this...
"@QuickPlxy If you signed up in mid December of 2013 (not 2014) and you are in the United States you should have your code."

Ugh. I give up, maybe you're right machine. Lolol

Sooooo
Planetside 2 tweeted out last week this...
"@QuickPlxy If you signed up in mid December of 2013 (not 2014) and you are in the United States you should have your code."

Ugh. I give up, maybe you're right machine. Lolol

Yea dude... seriously. I've given up entirely. Whoever ran this Beta program needs to be reviewed or fired. Terrible PR communication. Terrible Twitter updates.

I've lost all hope that this will be any good on the PS4 if they are going to treat the Beta so weirdly.

From an internet source

"and it will also be framerate-locked as the developers reportedly want to sort out certain performance issues before the game is finalized."

So maybe this isn't the official frame rate, just for the beta.

Yea dude... seriously. I've given up entirely. Whoever ran this Beta program needs to be reviewed or fired. Terrible PR communication. Terrible Twitter updates.

I've lost all hope that this will be any good on the PS4 if they are going to treat the Beta so weirdly.

Really? You think somebody needs to be fired because you are a little upset that you can't play an unreleased game? Gotta luv the "entitlement" attitude.

I would like to give the beta a whirl as well, but no big deal. I'm sure they do not have the support staff or servers to handle a large influx of players. Install the game on your pc, plug in your ps4 controller and map the controls. Boom you got a "beta" experience.

Really? You think somebody needs to be fired because you are a little upset that you can't play an unreleased game? Gotta luv the "entitlement" attitude.

I would like to give the beta a whirl as well, but no big deal. I'm sure they do not have the support staff or servers to handle a large influx of players. Install the game on your pc, plug in your ps4 controller and map the controls. Boom you got a "beta" experience.

Get out of here with the sanctimonious attitude. They did a terrible job handling the PR of how this beta would be done. And yea considering how many fans have been waiting for this beta and signed up for it in Jan 2014 I think there is some warranted dismay. Beta's are now so common place that such an utter lack of communication is pretty inexcusable. Entitlement in this case makes sense since they've had me and many others waiting over a year to beta test this game. Its sloppy and unprofessional. Telling everyone for over a year to sign up and accepting hundreds of thousands of entries only to give out 2,000 keys makes little to no sense..

I don't want to just hook up my controller to my PC. That's an inferior way to play PS2 on PC against everyone else with hyper responsive KB/M setups. On console everyone will be set to controller controls so the ground is far more even.

So yea I'll remain a bit frustrated on how they handled this so far.

Hey all, check your emails!
Although I didn't get a key yet, I've finally got an email from them. The email is relating towards this coming Tuesday, March 24th.

They are unlocking all the continents and the tutorial map and it says a massive amount of keys will be sent out.

Considering I've never received an update or any kind of email from them since signups, maybe this is bs jargen to try and keep me waiting? Or this might be the week we all get a key! Who knows? Fingers crossed!

Got an e-mail from them too and 'reregistered' like they said. Thanks for the heads up, wouldn't have noticed the e-mail otherwise!

Promptly deleted said email. I was one of the first to ever sign up and somehow I'm on this wave and have to reregister. Whatever. Stopped caring when they went to 30fps, and I really don't care now. Gonna be playing Bloodborne next week anyway. They really screwed this up.

Promptly deleted said email. I was one of the first to ever sign up and somehow I'm on this wave and have to reregister. Whatever. Stopped caring when they went to 30fps, and I really don't care now. Gonna be playing Bloodborne next week anyway. They really screwed this up.

With all due respect, your thread is the reason I knew of the signups.

However, after research, it appears they've had other sign up dates long before this thread was made. First official sign ups began as early as third quarter of 2013(not 2014).
So if you didn't sign up in October, November(maybe even earlier than that) 2013, than you aren't one of the firsts. And if you did, you must have skipped the email or didn't register correctly. I do believe about a month into the beta, they were already hitting early 2014 applicants.

It's too bad you didn't read the email before deleting it either.
:(
Heres why:

First of all, the email said they wouldn't drop your place in line if you reregistered. Secondly, I think the email was more of an alert to see who's going to be active and who won't be.

Think about it, it's been 3 months since the beta has been released and nearly 5 months since this thread started. They know people have gone astray. Why send keys/codes to people who won't even use them? That's a waste of time and money.

Sorry man, but patience is a virtue. Also, I appreciate the thread.

I will update the thread on Tuesday to see if anything changes.

Last edited:
Yeah, I didn't make this thread when I signed up, but when it went public. I was part of the 2013 signups. I just wanted to get people to play something better than that trash, Destiny. I read the whole email. I just don't care about this port anymore. I can play the best version on my PC right now if I want to. So feel free to take over this thread, I really stopped following the whole thing...

I re-registered, seemed odd but this thread was a reminder that email from a few days ago might be worth clicking.

reregistered other day too. Warframe is a good f2p game, this will only be better on PS4.

Go,figure. I finally got a beta invite yesterday....

I'm enjoying it so far. The aiming is a little clunky, but it'll do.

PS2 is now available to download and well (wait) to play on the PS Store.

Supposed to go live(servers) at 1 P.M P.S.T, still at 4 P.M servers are down due to an "E-Commerce Issue".

Fail

It is ghetto as heck when you queue up the Planetside 2 release, the download is labeled "Beta".

lol yeah, noticed that too.

Servers are back only yet again and it seems to have a major improvement.

PS+ is required for multiplayer right? I got an email saying mine ran out the other day... might have to renew.

I had to play PC version on really low settings... how does this run on the PS4? Is it pretty?

PS+ is required for multiplayer right? I got an email saying mine ran out the other day... might have to renew.

I had to play PC version on really low settings... how does this run on the PS4? Is it pretty?

It's up to the developer on whether or not to require PS+ on free to play games. On this game no it's not required.

It's up to the developer on whether or not to require PS+ on free to play games. On this game no it's not required.

I don't know if it's solely based off the Devs decisions.

Think about it, what gains does it give for the devs? I'm not paying the Devs five bucks a month for Ps Plus, I'm paying Sony.

With that being said, since (Daybreak Games) formerly known as (SOE) is no longer a branch of Sony, I'm guessing they'll have to pay for each update/patch like the rest of the dev world.

So maybe, just maybe, requiring PS PLUS gives devs a sort of discount? I'm guessing so, or else, it wouldn't benefit them at all.

Side note*

The average patch costs the developers $40k to upload through PSN.

I am probably doing it wrong, however I feel like I spent way too much time running between places and then getting killed by people I didn't even see. Meanwhile I shot my own teammates repeatedly because I couldn't tell if I was supposed to shoot the red guys or the green guys. I had a red tag, so kill all the green tags right?!? There is no in game Help from what I could tell. Turns out I was supposed to shoot the people without name tags over their head. I've never felt so incompetent in a FPS :p

Also this game made me realize how freaking amazing Warhawk on the PS3 was. I would love combat and mechanics from Warhawk mixed with the persistent world of PS2.

Last edited:
I am probably doing it wrong, however I feel like I spent way too much time running between places and then getting killed by people I didn't even see. Meanwhile I shot my own teammates repeatedly because I couldn't tell if I was supposed to shoot the red guys or the green guys. I had a red tag, so kill all the green tags right?!? There is no in game Help from what I could tell. Turns out I was supposed to shoot the people without name tags over their head. I've never felt so incompetent in a FPS :p

Also this game made me realize how freaking amazing Warhawk on the PS3 was. I would love combat and mechanics from Warhawk mixed with the persistent world of PS2.

Felt the same way. Too much running around. But I didn't give the game but 20 minutes of gameplay. Then turned it off.

This is how I felt when I played it on the PC. Tried for a couple hours and never really found any fights, just wandered around and would randomly respawn at different areas. Thought it kinda sucked.

This video should help a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=370&v=h0Vplx-veB4

Talks about spawning, where and how.

Back