Planetary Annihilation new RTS like total annihilation and supreme commander

It's been fun so far, but the latest graphics patches have been horrible for me. Gonna wait out a few days to see how this sorts out.

I regret kickstarting this. I am a huge TA and SC fan and this game just completely sucks!!

Weekly unit releases in TA = awesome. I still remember when the Core Sumo was released. This game, man, this game...

TA was my favorite RTS of all time and the only one I really played multiplayer, with a bunch of guys at work I convinced they had to get.

The box is still on my shelf and it is still installed on my computer.

Weekly and FREE unit releases was the kind of cool things devs used to do. Now you you would have the buy them as DLC.

A soon as the narration started on the video I recognized the TA voice.

Fly in the ointment: I really don't like the artwork style here. It looks a lot more cutesy than TA.

I regret kickstarting this. I am a huge TA and SC fan and this game just completely sucks!!

Seems a LOT like TA to me and I played that game for a great many hours. Not sure what is rubbing you the wrong way about it.

I think the globe map design is a pointless novelty that hurts gameplay. there I said it

I think the globe map design is a pointless novelty that hurts gameplay. there I said it

Except that it has function. You can move between planets, you have orbital units, and you can smash planetary bodies into each other.

Whats up with all the Uber Entertainment guys coming from Gas Powered Games. Did they have a falling out with Chris Taylor?
Seems kinda strange that they'd leave and start their own second spiritual successor when they could just as easily do this same project under the gas powered games moniker.

Whats up with all the Uber Entertainment guys coming from Gas Powered Games. Did they have a falling out with Chris Taylor?
Seems kinda strange that they'd leave and start their own second spiritual successor when they could just as easily do this same project under the gas powered games moniker.

GPG is in trouble. They had to let go more than half their employees and all future projects are on hold.

i absolutely LOVE supcom FA, i'm excited about this, but on same token i hate cartoon graphics...

Yay, last patch fixed the game-breaking graphics issues! :)

As for the graphics themselves they are "ok" right now, I'm not a sure fan either. But I think I remember the devs saying they are making the game MOD friendly, so that might be very interesting.

tempted to buy the game and get beta access -- but I know in less than 2 weeks both this and GTA5 would sit on the shelf for a while as I disappear into BF4.

Might as well just hold onto my money and wait till I have more game time.

Just in case you haven't played in a while, Uber has released a pretty major update to the Beta! Worth a look!

So, new Gamma update yadda yadda...started playing a match against AI, and halfway through the game it said "Connection to server lost, returning to main menu"...Uh, what the fuck? Don't tell me this game has always-online nonsense like Diablo 3. I wasn't even playing with anyone and it never even saved my game. :mad:

That said, the graphical style is growing on me now that they tightened up the textures and whatnot. It really does feel a lot like Total Annihilation, but on a much larger scale.

There is currently always online because they have not and are not releasing the server until the game is finished and released proper.

Once it's officially released, you can play it however you want and local games will just refer to the local server.

Ah, alright. Though I am not sure why a server is required at all for offline play.

resurrected PA thread! Finally got around to downloading the beta from my kickstarter donation in 2012 (OMG almost two years have passed?!?!) and it was way fun! Definitely a more polished game.

From everything I am reading, looks like yet another failure. Does not offer anything significantly more than what you can already get from Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander, Supreme Commander 2, and various mods. And all of those offer some things you cannot get in PA. Fails to deliver on several kickstarter promises, including some basic ones. Furthermore, whether or not they will change in the future, as of this time (post-release) they still have their online DRM active, with server failures and/or long connection times. I was really looking forward to the game they presented in the kickstarter (which is far beyond what has been released). Definitely glad I did not back this.

Then there was ALL of those extra funds they raised beyond kickstarter...still failed to deliver lol.

To me it looks like they delivered what they said they would...a better successor to TA than SupCom. What did they "fail to deliver", exactly?

$30, just bought it, friend said they wre asking for like $100 in alpha for some special crap..

The had tiered pricing for the kickstarter. So they brought that pricing to Steam for the Alpha. When they got close to launch they lowered the prices to normal Steam pricing. They did the right thing in preserving the Kickstarter funding pricing at first.

As a big fan of Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander, I really wanted to love Planetary Annihilation but can not get past the art style, it looks awful.

As a big fan of Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander, I really wanted to love Planetary Annihilation but can not get past the art style, it looks awful.

It's not a dealbreaker for me, but I had really hoped they would improve the art style/graphics as well. Sadly it looks like they are not going to do that.

The art style i don't hate, but i have played today, on the 3rd planet basically and i find 2 things

1. FPS goes to crap in a huge battle to the point things literally stop for a split second like rockets in the air and then continue
2. the arrows keys to move around the map stop working when you select a large group of units.

#2 is weird as i click off the units i can move around the planet with the arrow keys again.

I am on an i7 4810M with an 860M and neither seem too taxed. I have settings on High.

nice.....zoom out and BAM! nothing..

wryetVR.jpg

I got this game for $17 bucks during the summer sale. It was okay, but way too unpolished and AI completely retarded and OP even in normal mode.
The main issue with AI is that is keeps spam building air units and teleporters can't transport those, so eventually AI opponent builds hundreds of those and there's no way to kill them no matter how many AA units you manage to sneak in.

Some idiots on the forums claim that's how AI wins... well, if dev's goal is to stop players from playing the game, yeah, that's a win then.

Someday i hope someone makes a supcom fa that has the same type of macanics with better online machmaking supcom fa still the best rts i ever played. I really disliked supcom 2.

Been playing Planetary Annihilation on and off since beta and really, really trying to like this game. Now that it is released in its final form, I came to the conclusion I just don't like it.

Unfortunate, but the game is a big giant miss for me.

Here's hoping for a better RTS game in the not-so distant future, sigh...

I got this game for $17 bucks during the summer sale. It was okay, but way too unpolished and AI completely retarded and OP even in normal mode.
The main issue with AI is that is keeps spam building air units and teleporters can't transport those, so eventually AI opponent builds hundreds of those and there's no way to kill them no matter how many AA units you manage to sneak in.

Some idiots on the forums claim that's how AI wins... well, if dev's goal is to stop players from playing the game, yeah, that's a win then.

Nuke.

literally nuke it from Orbit, this is what i have had to do, i just build 4-5 nuke stations and blow them to crap = i win!

This game looked really awesome, but at the same time, I wish they would have used some better graphics other than the toony look.

EDIT: Went ahead and picked it up since I need something to get me away from CSGO, it is a pretty fun game, the music sucks, but it seems pretty fun, it would be cool if in a battle against just an AI you could have a whole bunch of planets, or maybe you can I just haven't figured out how yet.

Last edited:
in the Galactic war eventually you do get into rounds that have 2-3 planets total. but not sure if it gets much bigger than that. I am about 3/4 into a war.

Also, since you can not save your game mid game, if your getting your ass handed to you, and you saved your Galactic war after your last win, simply use alt+f4 to kill the game, it retains your saved progress from the last point you saved.

WHY they did not include a save feature if you quit a game to leave off from the last save points was silly.

Haven't played in a while, about 40 mins into a game, disconnects me.. same crap that happened last time i wanted to play.

Their online game hosting service is crap...

I don't see what this game offers over supcom. to me it looks like a mod one guy made.

the maps being spherical adds nothing to the gameplay. multiple planets instead of one larger map adds ALMOST nothing to the gameplay. the graphics and technology are uninteresting. the tech tree could be from 1995. I don't get PA, I don't like it, and I think they whiffed on this ball

to me this game is a tiny version of the mechwarrior online scandal where the crappy company abandoned the game to launch another game that nobody trusted them to do right because they did it wrong the first time

me too. they now appear to have moved on to another rts game

yah, its a real kick in the face to those who backed it.
Like many others, Im a huge TA fan, and I still consider TA:CC the greatest game of all time.
and I had high hopes for this....but it feels unfinished, and to see that they basically rushed it out after getting paid and have already moved onto another project in somewhat insulting.
Considering this whole thing was to resurrect a game we all love, only to have to tossed aside already.

Back