Planetary Annihilation new RTS like total annihilation and supreme commander

the fact that they worked on TA and supreme commander, plus its the type of RTS game i'd enjoy.. this is going to be the first kickstarter i throw money at. woot woot i knew something worthy of my money would eventually show up!

thanks for the heads up relapse808.

Holy fuck! Count me in for 10 copies!

Almost 15 years after Total Annihilation and its spirit still lives on!

I'll admit, I geeked out a bit when the moon base launched an attack onto the planet. If I had $10k to waste I would throw it at them. This will be the first Kickstarter I fund.

Some interesting concepts in there, not really a fan of the TF2 type look to it though. A little to cartoony for my tastes. But seeing this has inspired me to finally start playing through the Forged Alliance campaign, starting right meow. I've been putting it off for a while now.

Quite an ambitious goal. 900k

But I do hope they succeed

When I saw Battlespire on the list of games the various devs have worked on I cringed a little :D.

Seriously though, huge fan of both Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander. To see such close ties to those previous games bodes well... this may be the first kickstarter I support as well.

Weekly unit releases in TA = awesome. I still remember when the Core Sumo was released. This game, man, this game...

TA was my favorite RTS of all time I think, and I loved both SupCom games. In for this, though probably not $40 for the beta access. :(

EDIT: Got in on the $15 early bird discount, they're going fast!

As a huge TA fan back in the day, I hope this actually feels like TA if it gets developed. Supcom was a fun game but it did not feel like TA.

Oh and I actually love the proposed graphics style.

Edit: Okay so I just watched the video. If that is the gameplay they are going for I'm ALL in. That's pretty much exactly how I'd want a TA 2 to play.

I'm in also. The dev team looks good on this one, which is the reason I'm supporting it even if they are asking for an aweful lot, guess these guys don't come cheap.

i like the use of the planet and the moon seems really cool.. reminds me of this awesome RTS back in the day.. i cant remember what it was called but you had air base landbase and underground bases. . you had like mechs that could fall apart and you could pick up arms from other mechs on the other team it was AWESSSOME

Game looks bad ass! And I don't even like RTS games!

However, I can't help but feel like this Kickstarter is yet another money grab from seemingly large well funded developers. I mean, look at the trailer! High ass end equipment everywhere, nice buildings, many employees, VOICE ACTORS! I mean, what the fuck do they need a Kickstarter for? Bonus checks?

Sigh...

However, I can't help but feel like this Kickstarter is yet another money grab from seemingly large well funded developers. I mean, look at the trailer! High ass end equipment everywhere, nice buildings, many employees, VOICE ACTORS! I mean, what the fuck do they need a Kickstarter for? Bonus checks?

Sigh...

I've never felt like its a money grab. you aren't donating for nothing. i pay 15$ and get a game. doesnt sound like a money grab to me. sounds like a smart way to pay for development since they probably have very little income from the one or two games that theyve created.

Sigh...

Well, how well did Monday Night Combat do? I don't know how "well-funded" they are.

IMO, it seems like another SupCom/TA game would never get made nowadays without something like this, so I'm glad to pitch in for it.

woah looks sweet. Unique art style. Looks like spore but refined for real rts fans

Sadly I think definitely. "Gameplay virtualization" fades out in the beginning. Just a marketing video.

My interests are peaked, but I need to see some actual footage or engine imagery to really put down the cash

Sadly I think definitely. "Gameplay virtualization" fades out in the beginning. Just a marketing video.

My interests are peaked, but I need to see some actual footage or engine imagery to really put down the cash

15$?!

Looks like you're right, didn't see the quick text fade out in the beginning

I'll admit, I geeked out a bit when the moon base launched an attack onto the planet. If I had $10k to waste I would throw it at them. This will be the first Kickstarter I fund.

+1

the asteroid attack on the planet sold me. at first i was like wtf is this globe map shit.. then i saw the commander launch to the moon.. started getting me interested. then the asteroid hitting the planet. that was all i needed.

thats a concept video though not the actual engine?

yeah its a concept video. they talked about it later in the video. if it was the actual game engine i don't think their pledge goal would be 900k dollars to make it.

but given that the head guy was the visual creator for TA and supreme commander theres no way they can screw it up. those two games were probably the best looking RTS games of their generations.

Sigh...

the voice actor is the same guy that did TA with Steve Thompson so i'm sure they have stayed in contact and that section was probably done at his studio. but the real advantage to kickstarter while it is good for getting games funded you can get your game out there to the public. plus you don't have to answer to higher ups so i have no problem funding that. i don't care if they have a shit ton of money or high end equipment. i want the old style massive army RTS games back like TA and supreme commander were. not the bullshit publishers are forcing developers to release now.

Last edited:
+1

the asteroid attack on the planet sold me. at first i was like wtf is this globe map shit.. then i saw the commander launch to the moon.. started getting me interested. then the asteroid hitting the planet. that was all i needed.

it definitely looks awesome. if they have no gameplay to show i wonder how much development is complete ;X probably gonna be like 2 years :"(

+1

It's all just pre-rendered concepts, not actual gameplay.

If you look at the kickstarter page you will notice a ETA of july 2013 on all of them

I've never felt like its a money grab. you aren't donating for nothing. i pay 15$ and get a game. doesnt sound like a money grab to me. sounds like a smart way to pay for development since they probably have very little income from the one or two games that theyve created.
It is a very smart way to develop since you get money before you have anything to show for and way before the gaming community can pass any kind of factual judgement on the quality of the game.

You are out $15 whether the game will be good, marginal, or whether you look at it for 5 minutes and dismiss it as utter crap.

It's smart from a developer's perspective because you, the consumer, assumes the financial risk of developing the game. From a consumer's perspective this is not smart at all. You are paying money today for a potential return at some unspecified future date.

If you want to gamble with cash like that you are better off to just buy a Facebook share with your $15.

i like the use of the planet and the moon seems really cool.. reminds me of this awesome RTS back in the day.. i cant remember what it was called but you had air base landbase and underground bases. . you had like mechs that could fall apart and you could pick up arms from other mechs on the other team it was AWESSSOME

Metal Fatigue was the game you are thinking of. It was kinda buggy but getting mechs with samurai swords and going to town on someone's base was awesomely fun.

It is a very smart way to develop since you get money before you have anything to show for and way before the gaming community can pass any kind of factual judgement on the quality of the game.

You are out $15 whether the game will be good, marginal, or whether you look at it for 5 minutes and dismiss it as utter crap.

It's smart from a developer's perspective because you, the consumer, assumes the financial risk of developing the game. From a consumer's perspective this is not smart at all. You are paying money today for a potential return at some unspecified future date.

If you want to gamble with cash like that you are better off to just buy a Facebook share with your $15.

haha wow a little over the top. but okay. I like to support indie developers I guess that makes me careless with money. an entire 15$ wasted! Thats like 13 1/2 hotnspicies from mcdonalds. fuck im dumb

Metal Fatigue was the game you are thinking of. It was kinda buggy but getting mechs with samurai swords and going to town on someone's base was awesomely fun.

wow awesome that you knew what I was talking about <3! I was only 12-13 ish so bugs werent bothering me then

From a consumer's perspective this is not smart at all. You are paying money today for a potential return at some unspecified future date.
Not really. You are paying $15-20 for a game that may or may not be a good follow up to the TA legacy.

Or they don't do this and one never gets made. Obviously if you hated TA or Supcom, you wouldn't see the appeal. I don't understand why people feel the need to come into these KS threads and shit on people who are excited about a potential game that they never thought would have a chance of being made. It's long past being tiresome.

i grew up playing TA and still enjoy kicking ass at it today! Sadly though my friends can't seem to comprehend massive RTS games like TA and Sup com FA, but thankfully Sup Com 2 was dumbed down enough that they could play it with me and not totally suck.

Personally i can't wait for this game to come out, i just hope its programmed well and it stays balanced.

The style reminds me hugely of another small RTS game I played back in the day. Similar base styles, you would build square units with rocket pods to defend air, gun turrets for ground, all tightly packed into a grid. You also could build mechs, upgrade them up to gold...build huge nuclear silos as well. Hmm, I had that game on a CD way back when, was a ton of fun actually. Killing me that I can't remember what it was called.

what is the difference between TA and supcom, ie: why do some say TA is better? (not SC2).

Back