Planetary Annihilation new RTS like total annihilation and supreme commander

I liked TA better than SupCom, but SupCom 2 was a complete joke and one of the shittiest RTS games I've played. You don't set a standard for a franchise and then try to reinvent it. To me they lied to the community as well. They showed these epic trailers implying it played like the first.

I liked TA better for the unit design and personality. I liked SupCom but nothing compared to the Peewee kbots, Big Bertha, BuzzSaw, KROGOTH, Annihilator. It has so many mods as well and the game received constant updates with new units. They did stuff at the time that no other company was, and most STILL don't do.

Well, SupCom 2 was a different publisher but the same dev, so I'm not sure if that affected development. I would hardly call it shitty but it's certainly no TA/SupCom.

Also, I agree about TA having way better units and mod support. SupCom failed in that regard, though the experimentals were still pretty cool.

I went ahead and bumped up to the $40 level. Really want to see this succeed.

EDIT: Also, side note: Linux support is now confirmed. Should make some folks happy. :)

Well, you said it didn't "feel" like TA, unless I missed another post (I checked a few times so I don't think so). :cool:
As I mentioned in my other post, my biggest gripe with with SupCom was that terrain seemed pretty much irrelevant. Whereas in TA (and TA:Kingdoms for that matter), if you owned a ridge, you owned the battlefield.

That's actually my biggest concern about PA. The planets they show are flat. But I'm going to chalk that up to it being a proof of concept video.

I see. Sounds like a map issue more than anything, then. Though I do remember playing some SupCom maps where there were definitely some terrain advantages/bottlenecks that you could use.

Perhaps. I remember driving units up to the tops of hills and being surprised at how little if at all their firing ranges and LOS would change. That was huge in TA. If you were on a ridge, the range of your Guardian or Punisher would increase by at least 1/3rd. Terrain was a huge factor in base design.

I also don't really recall any stock maps that had mountainous bottlenecks, but I only really played the game for a few months after launch. I still haven't played FA.

just noticed the kickstart is all or nothing....not even half way.
So if they dont make the 900k, it doesnt happen?

Yeah I saw that too. I guess if they don't meet the goal then they don't get paid by the backers supposedly. However I would not worry, the kickstart started yesterday and it is at 400k. They will be way over their goal by the time it ends

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but if you guys like TA, check out the Spring open source engine. They have TA versions and they are pretty fun.
http://springrts.com/wiki/Games

Graphics suck, but there's active people playing it if you wanted to bring back some old memories.

how do i change the title, never had to before
I'd think you'd just edit the OP? But I'm not sure. I rarely create topics here. Thanks either way for posting this topic! Otherwise I'd have no idea about this project.

I'd think you'd just edit the OP? But I'm not sure. I rarely create topics here. Thanks either way for posting this topic! Otherwise I'd have no idea about this project.

You'll need to ask a mod to change the title. We aren't allowed to.

Perhaps. I remember driving units up to the tops of hills and being surprised at how little if at all their firing ranges and LOS would change. That was huge in TA. If you were on a ridge, the range of your Guardian or Punisher would increase by at least 1/3rd. Terrain was a huge factor in base design.

I also don't really recall any stock maps that had mountainous bottlenecks, but I only really played the game for a few months after launch. I still haven't played FA.

The physics in general owned in that game.

I remember playing TA spring a while ago, after some time I started getting pretty good at it. And by pretty good I mean I had this one map down to a fucking science, so I often had such a gigantic advantage over people that I'd just run gimmicks. During this one game, I had turtled like a moron and amassed probably close to 50 nuclear silos, which I of course decided to launch all at the same time.

A tiny little piece of shit plane of mine flew over one of the silos just as the missile was launching, causing the nuke to collide with the little turd and instantaneously vaporize my entire base in an enormous, borderline cataclysmic chain reaction.

I used to have some pictures of it, and even accidentally captured the fated moment as well, you could see the plane in question too milliseconds before self-inflicted armageddon. I MIGHT still have them somewhere, need to look.

there were a few of them in supcom and supcom:FA but the game was really designed for the community to do all the map creating just like it was in TA. i think i have some where in the range of 600 or 700 maps downloaded for FA at this point.

The physics in general owned in that game.

I remember playing TA spring a while ago, after some time I started getting pretty good at it. And by pretty good I mean I had this one map down to a fucking science, so I often had such a gigantic advantage over people that I'd just run gimmicks. During this one game, I had turtled like a moron and amassed probably close to 50 nuclear silos, which I of course decided to launch all at the same time.

A tiny little piece of shit plane of mine flew over one of the silos just as the missile was launching, causing the nuke to collide with the little turd and instantaneously vaporize my entire base in an enormous, borderline cataclysmic chain reaction.

I used to have some pictures of it, and even accidentally captured the fated moment as well, you could see the plane in question too milliseconds before self-inflicted armageddon. I MIGHT still have them somewhere, need to look.

You gotta find that!!!

Well, SupCom 2 was a different publisher but the same dev, so I'm not sure if that affected development. I would hardly call it shitty but it's certainly no TA/SupCom.

Also, I agree about TA having way better units and mod support. SupCom failed in that regard, though the experimentals were still pretty cool.

I went ahead and bumped up to the $40 level. Really want to see this succeed.

EDIT: Also, side note: Linux support is now confirmed. Should make some folks happy. :)

It was shitty to me because it felt like they were trying to take TA/SupCom and turn it into Wc3/SC small scale combat. The commanders were boring as hell and map size was a huge let down and I don't want/need a tech tree. I don't like that kind of stuff in my rts games.

I thought SupCom did battlefield management really well compared to TA. They had a lot more options with queuing , unit formations, attack timing, etc... I would have to agree with others that terrain was better in TA. In SupCom you had to have some very large mountains/hills to break fire.

I'd like to see a REAL CnC game again, Dark Reign, Z, and MechCommander. Those were my favorite RTS games behing TA. CnC will always be special to me because it was my first RTS. I liked WarCraft 1&2 but I like large scale battles without unit limits.

It was shitty to me because it felt like they were trying to take TA/SupCom and turn it into Wc3/SC small scale combat. The commanders were boring as hell and map size was a huge let down and I don't want/need a tech tree. I don't like that kind of stuff in my rts games.

Well, in SupCom 2 AFAIK there is no well-defined unit limit, and I've managed to crank out hundreds of units easily. So I'm a little confused when I hear that complaint against SupCom2. One thing they did do was seem to make experimentals a lot weaker, but also a lot faster to build, so generally you can bulldoze a base with like 10 Megaliths whereas in SupCom it took forever to build one and it pretty much decimated everything.

The main changes in SupCom 2 were the economy system and the tech tree system. And I do agree that many of the maps were a lot smaller, but to be totally honest, some of the "large" maps in TA/SupCom were so large it took a ridiculous amount of time to get across them, plus a lot of the time the "universal artillery" wouldn't even reach to the enemy base. Kind of annoying.

I hope this game doesn't look like a bunch of block men fighting. I love TA/SC, but I want my army robots to actually look like death machines, not toys.

ive been playing supreme commander 2 online with a buddy and we have been decimating people hahah. experimentals are fucking AWESOME

Well, in SupCom 2 AFAIK there is no well-defined unit limit, and I've managed to crank out hundreds of units easily. So I'm a little confused when I hear that complaint against SupCom2. One thing they did do was seem to make experimentals a lot weaker, but also a lot faster to build, so generally you can bulldoze a base with like 10 Megaliths whereas in SupCom it took forever to build one and it pretty much decimated everything.

The main changes in SupCom 2 were the economy system and the tech tree system. And I do agree that many of the maps were a lot smaller, but to be totally honest, some of the "large" maps in TA/SupCom were so large it took a ridiculous amount of time to get across them, plus a lot of the time the "universal artillery" wouldn't even reach to the enemy base. Kind of annoying.

the problem with supcom 2 was that it was over simplified given that it was designed to be played on a console. originally the console version and the PC version were suppose to be completely different games. the only thing that was going to carry over was the simplified tech tree system other than that it was suppose to be more like the original supcom. but halfway through development they scrapped the PC version and just ported over the console version.

Supcom 2 by itself wasn't that bad of a game. It just wasn't as good as regular Supcom or FA. Its definitely simplified compared to the games before it but that does make it easier to get into. Supcom and FA really require a good bit of time dedication just to learn the games basics. I first played supcom shortly after it came out but had to put off playing it because I knew I just didn't have the time to play it how I would like to. Years later I played Supcom 2 when it came out and found it a lot easier to learn and was able to just play a little here and there. Then after playing that I went back and played the earlier games. To me Supcom 2 actually feels like it should of been the earlier game so when I tell people about Supcom I actually recommend they play Supcom 2 then Supcom and then FA.

If they end up making Planetary Annihalation I would prefer a little more gritty graphics but I'm ok with what they are showing. Some where on their site they mention being able to play with a bunch of people. I think it would be cool if they also did space fleets and let you blockade and bombard planets.

I used that large UFO looking experimental as a shield for my base in supcom 1 against some artillery when I was at my limits with the energy shields. It didn't last long :(

I used that large UFO looking experimental as a shield for my base in supcom 1 against some artillery when I was at my limits with the energy shields. It didn't last long :(

I can't remember in SupCom if it does this, but in SupCom 2 I hate going against that goddamn thing. It's not that hard to kill, but they always hover it right over your base, and then when you kill it it falls on your shit and destroys it. :mad:

I can't remember in SupCom if it does this, but in SupCom 2 I hate going against that goddamn thing. It's not that hard to kill, but they always hover it right over your base, and then when you kill it it falls on your shit and destroys it. :mad:

Yeah it does that in Supcom, all air units did crash damage. Pretty sure they would go through shields to. You could try and make it so that when your airship was destroyed it would hit something important, in FA you could even do it with the satelite experimental which couldn't be shot down (unless its land base was taken out). Of course that wasn't cheap to build and the enemy could reclaim fallen units for mass and experimentals gave lots of mass.

Supported for $40 via paypal and depending on how work goes in the next couple of weeks I will jump up to the $100 dollar point most likely. I still play TA and Sup Com FA. a ton with friends. To anyone that said sup com doesn't have enough mods they need to check again we play FA with 9 mods on at any given time ply over 1000 maps to choose from and a modded cheating AI to make things really interesting. Anyone who wants to play a game of FA shoot me a pm and I will hook you up with the TS3 server we are usually on. Also Sup Com 2 wasn't a bad game, it was too small and the mechanics were broken I remember building 12 if the experimantal air factories and then 300 gunships all in like 20 minutes it was a unstoppable tactic cause the cave the flying air factories a faster build rate for building planes.

I actually bumped mine up to $50 for the unique commander model. Why not? Already was in for $40.

Also Sup Com 2 wasn't a bad game, it was too small and the mechanics were broken I remember building 12 if the experimantal air factories and then 300 gunships all in like 20 minutes it was a unstoppable tactic cause the cave the flying air factories a faster build rate for building planes.

The experimental mechanics weren't really "broken" in SupCom 2, but they were different than SupCom. Basically they were a LOT weaker in SupCom 2 but built a LOT faster and for a lot less resources, so the best thing to do was just crank them out.

I actually found building AC-1000s en masse was a better tactic overall.

I tried that but the sheer numbers of the Flying factories that they cranked out was unbeatable until they massively nerfed them a few months later.

Ah, I probably didn't play it before the final patch. The flying fortresses are still really good, but not unbeatable. They can get taken down really fast by massing fighters.

Before I give them a dime I want written out, well documented, clarification that the game will be like TA and SupCom 1 and nothing at all like SupCom 2.

If I give them money and they give me another dumbed down version of supcom with inferior graphics I'm walking into the studio with a bomb on my chest.

Before I give them a dime I want written out, well documented, clarification that the game will be like TA and SupCom 1 and nothing at all like SupCom 2.

If I give them money and they give me another dumbed down version of supcom with inferior graphics I'm walking into the studio with a bomb on my chest.

Well give them $10k and tell them how you want it done.

The soundtrack in TA was leaps and bounds better than the one in Supcom.

This is because it was an actual orchestral recording in a proper recording hall. SupCom was produced all in the box. (Virtual instruments)

looks like they might go passed their goal, 22 days left and only 250k till their goal is met.

thats exciting. its probably really exciting for them too

I hope they hit the stretch goals too, because the features they outlined for those sound really awesome. Though, admittedly, naval units seems like it should be in there by default since it was in TA/SupCom. They shouldn't really be removing any content/features that were in the original games for the "sequel", IMO.

STRETCH GOALS

Our stretch goals are there so that the entire community can benefit from bringing in more pledges. By bringing in your friends, participating in an add-on, or simply upping your pledge together, we can make a better game for everyone. These first set of goals are based on the questions and comments we have received from the community.

$1,100,000 - Naval units and Water Planets

We are happy to announce that our first stretch goal is a set of naval units and extended support for water planets. One of the most popular questions we receive is whether or not naval warfare is going to be supported. We like naval warfare and want to have it in the game, but it’s going to be quite a bit of additional work. We want to not only support naval units but to do a great job at it. Likewise we want great support for water in the engine and the ability to create amazing planets that are largely water. First class support for naval means you will be able to have a combination of water and land planets as well as ice asteroids. Huge water only planets to play out all kinds of naval only scenarios will also be supported. Asteroid tsunamis FTW! Some of the water units we can expect include subs, amphibious units, floating buildings and of course battleships!

$1,300,000 - Gas Giants and Enhanced Orbital units

Many of you are excited about the idea of more planet types and more gameplay to take specific advantage of those planets. This stretch goal is to add gas giant planets (similar to saturn or jupiter) to the game and an expanded set of orbital units with unique gameplay. Gas giants have no land in the real world but we may allow some buildable areas on “high mountains” on these planets. Imagine massive fusion reactors sucking helium-3 right out of the atmosphere and giant orbital defense lasers. A more expanded set of orbital recon units, space platforms and other types of orbital units based on your ideas will be added as well.

I hope they hit the stretch goals too, because the features they outlined for those sound really awesome. Though, admittedly, naval units seems like it should be in there by default since it was in TA/SupCom. They shouldn't really be removing any content/features that were in the original games for the "sequel", IMO.

yeah i just assumed naval units were going to be included :X

lets just hope they make another 660k in 8 days hah

Back