Planescape: Torment - Spiritual successor

LeninGHOLA

Vladimir Hayt
So, Brian Fargo has a second game in pre-production while his team builds Wasteland 2; A new Torment game in a different setting (IP issues).

Here's an interesting RPS article on it
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/09/planescape-torment-sequel/

Colin McComb will be doing the story. A guy who I have a lot of respect for. It also helps that he wrote a great deal of material for the Planescape setting as well as working directly on Planescape: Torment.

Here is info about the setting, which sounds great
http://www.numenera.com/overview/

I think this will work very well.

The Kickstarter is now live and doing quite well. Time to put my money where my facehole is.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera

This gives you all time to play Planescape: Torment before release, if you haven't already. It has easily the best story in a video game to date.

Last edited:
Cool ... flag us when they start their KS ... I might have to support another project :)

I will be all over that. Loved me some Planescape. Even downloaded the St. Patrick's Day and Easter mods back in the day.

Game sounds great. I am really digging the concept art and storyline.

Looks good. To bad Wizards of the Coast did not want to license the Planescape setting. Would have been even better.

Another good news for crpg fans :) Thanks to crowd funding we're now seeing people like Brian Fargo making these rpg games again.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to Wasteland 2 which is scheduled for this year.

As long as it's not top down 2D rubbish, I'm in! :)

Did you mean Phantasy Star kind of top down 2D? I certainly won't miss that one, lol. I think isometric real time 3D like Titan Quest is the best. Still one of my favorite rpg games and it hardly feels dated even when played today.

There is a new interview with Brian Fargo on Torment with some WIP concept art. Looks like he is committed.

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1766807/brian_fargo_interview_new_torment_numenera_crpg.html

DMJwF.jpg

I've been pretty impressed with their communication to the backers of wasteland 2. That and the original Torment being one of my favorites the only thing that slowed my backing was which tier to choose. So many options! Wish I could afford some of the higher end ones. Really like the name on the tombstone idea.

They are almost at 400k now. On track for being funded before the end of the work day.

Jumped in without hesitation. I'm looking forward to exploring Numenera just as much as I would another trip into Planescape.

I'm really digging their artwork. Now to decide what tier to pledge... $75 looks good, but I do not want to participate in Beta. A game like this I want to play when it is finished up.

IT HAS BEGUN!

Damnit, is this a return to the golden age of RPG's? Torment, Wasteland 2 , Cyberpunk 2077 & a new BG in the works....

& Mark Morgan doing music for it YES!.

Last edited:
IT HAS BEGUN!

Damnit, is this a return to the golden age of RPG's? Torment, Wasteland 2 , new BG in the works....

& Mark Morgan doing music for it YES!.

Yes, it is the rebirth of the Golden Age. We also have Chaos Chronicles, Grimoire, Shadowrun Returns, Project Eternity and several others I'm forgetting at the moment.

CRPG Golden Age Rebirth indeed. What's the projected hardware footprint of these games? Are we talking tablet/atom/brazos territory?

I'm really digging their artwork. Now to decide what tier to pledge... $75 looks good, but I do not want to participate in Beta. A game like this I want to play when it is finished up.
Well... you really don't have to play the Beta if you don't want to. ;)

Dunno.. I'm in for the boxed tier, just not sure which one. $110 isn't all that great, and $250 seems like a lot considering what's in it.

CRPG Golden Age Rebirth indeed. What's the projected hardware footprint of these games? Are we talking tablet/atom/brazos territory?

Torment: Tides of Numenera will be done in Unity, just like Wasteland 2. The requirements will be pretty low. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to run it on an older or small form factor computer. The graphics will stand on the artistry that goes into it.

Well... you really don't have to play the Beta if you don't want to. ;)

Dunno.. I'm in for the boxed tier, just not sure which one. $110 isn't all that great, and $250 seems like a lot considering what's in it.

I want to go boxed, too. I'm just not sure I can convince myself to plop down $110+, as tempting as it is.

What you talking 'bout Willis?

lol sorry these are just rumors that have been floating around the interwebs for a couple of months. No doubt that the idea has been tossed around by developers, especially with the release of BGII:EE. I have a feeling that they are working on something in the shadows.;)

lol sorry these are just rumors that have been floating around the interwebs for a couple of months, no doubt that the idea has been tossed around by developers, especially with the release of BGII:EE. I have a feeling that they are working on something in the shadows.;)

Keep in mind that The Black Hound was already penned and in production when it got canned. A little sprinkling of those ideas will probably be seen in Project Eternity, since Obsidian still has ownership of those assets.

Funny, barely 5 hours into this campaing and it is almost funded. Now taking bets on how many millions they end up with.

Planescape is one of those games that sold poorly on release day, but millions of people ended up picking it up over the years since then and now it's usually a GOG topseller. It also has one of the highest user ratings for games on Metacritic.

Funny, barely 5 hours into this campaing and it is almost funded. Now taking bets on how many millions they end up with.

Planescape is one of those games that sold poorly on release day, but millions of people ended up picking it up over the years since then and now it's usually a GOG topseller. It also has one of the highest user ratings for games on Metacritic.
3-3.5 Million is my guess. Anything more than that would be a huge surprise to me. Although P:T is probably more recognizable name than Wasteland, so it might generate some extra monies.

Wow.. They're going to totally crush the goal. The total went up by 15K by the time I finished watching the promo vid.

Brian is the man.

With Torment, if we reach the $900,000 goal but fall short of a million, Brian will personally fund the remaining amount to reach $1 million total for development. If funding beats $1 million, he will instead contribute 10 cents from every $1 pledged from the $1 million to $2 million mark.

I think Brian might regret that 10cents on the dollar post 1-million after this lol!
The game is about to already surpass it's FULL funding goal in under a day of it being up.

This game is on track to surpass Project Eternity for most funded game on kickstarter.

I wouldn't be surprised if it beats out Space Citizen for highest crowd funded game (it got 6 mil or so total, but only part of it on kickstarter).

Back