Planar PX2611W 26"

I have used Planars at work and they are awesome. But i have only used them for windows desktop applications, not gaming.

The quality of Planar is top notch from what i can tell and have seen.

Are you using it for regular office work or design/art, DbD? I'm concerned whether a maker of LCDs for the medical industry have put out something suitable for art work or not. It's the same panel as the NEC 2690, but does that tell the whole story?

Are you using it for regular office work or design/art, DbD? I'm concerned whether a maker of LCDs for the medical industry have put out something suitable for art work or not. It's the same panel as the NEC 2690, but does that tell the whole story?

Not really sure how it would compare. I use it for mainly software development, not graphic design. I use graphics made by designers, but they are mainly web graphics that are not as color critical. Most of the designers use Adobe on their Macs as you can imagine.
I do like high quality monitors but i am not an LCD owner yet. I have a 22" mitubishi 2040u appeture grille CRT at home for gaming. Tried to get the 20" nec lcd, was great for some games like WOW, but i noticed more pixelation in the graphics in a high end game like 2142, than with my CRT. I returned it and decided to wait it out for something better.

Ok, thanks for the info. I'm CRT as well, NEC FP21sb and Viewsonic P225fb, which isn't so great anyway (and currently dying with flashes and occasional whistling).

I wonder if you noticed more pixelation because LCD's are sharper vs CRT? That's something I have read and would like to verify. Sharper is good for my vocation.

Sorry this has taken me so long, I will take the pics as soon as I can. Between our baby and my job, I've been getting my butt kicked lately.

I love this monitor! It arrived with no dead pixels. I have not detected any ghosting at all while gaming. I mostly play UT2004 and Doom 3 engine based games, when I have time.

I'll get those pics for you guys ASAP!

BTW, does anyone know yet if this display is HC like the NEC 2690? Same panel...

Ok, after weighing a bunch of pros and cons a bunch of times, I ordered the Planar 2611 again, plus a whole bunch of stuff from newegg. Fun stuff. I will return here with my impressions of the monitor.

You bet. I chose it for several practical reasons. Who knows, I may eventually end up with the Dell 3007 as a main monitor down the road. What would the harm in that be? :) I need all the desktop space I can get. And I will miss my three CRT setup.

Absolutely drop dead gorgeous screen. I don't have time to calibrate it or give a review. Just quick adjustments before getting back to work.

But WOW. The perfect size for me, amazing brightness and contrast. Unbelievable sharpness over my CRTs. The colour is knocking me out. It's definately wide gamut. More on that later after I calibrate and work with it. Black level - I am really, really impressed...this is LCD, right??? In my partially lit room it's looking blacker than my crts. We'll see how it stack up tonight. Unreal. I am shocked over this. Just shocked and blown away.

BTW, no dead pixels whatsoever. However, I have a small scratch on the face of the monitor. It's about 5 pixels long but on a light background, it might just drive me nuts enough to replace. I ordered this from Newegg, and will ask them about it. Such a shame with an otherwise flawless unit.

Extremely happy thus far in first impression, will report back later.

I will do pics tonight. I have windows behind me in the day. It's doing well with reflection btw - better than my crts - but it would not do the screen justice. I will calibrate it too.

Looking at the work I am returning to, it definately seems wide gamut to my eyes. Never seen red like this before.

I'm mostly interested in two things, lag and backlight bleeding.

Can you do a lag test against a CRT using a millisecond timer?
Can you take a picture of a pure black screen in a dark room?

I'd be most grateful. I just want to know if the lag and backlight bleeding I saw on the NEC is common with the panel. If not, I'll consider one of these.

Lag wont be an issue I think due to the fact thats its S-IPS and no colour critical electronics (LUT's etc...)

Sounds pretty awesome. Now you know what everyone means when they say S-IPS panels are known for their color quality.

This unit is really looking like a hell of a bargain for what it is, and 1920x1200 would be a great res for me (800x600 and 1600x1200 are both pseudo-native, which'd be nice for when I have to use black bars occasionally for non-WS stuff). I too would love a lag pic (vs. mirrored CRT) or a black bg / dark room pic... I'd really be fine with it having moderate lag and typical backlight bleed, but, hell, I don't know, I like pictures. They help me deal with anxiety in the pre-order phase, you know?

This is exciting news. Thanks for sharing Hudder. I think I'll place an order tomorrow.

BTW, what is Planar's dead pixel policy? Can we sent this back to Planar if one dead pixel exist? Also do they pay for shipping both ways?

Trying to find out what to calibrate this to in terms of luminance...anyone know?

Absolutely drop dead gorgeous screen. I don't have time to calibrate it or give a review. Just quick adjustments before getting back to work.

But WOW. The perfect size for me, amazing brightness and contrast. Unbelievable sharpness over my CRTs. The colour is knocking me out. It's definately wide gamut. More on that later after I calibrate and work with it. Black level - I am really, really impressed...this is LCD, right??? In my partially lit room it's looking blacker than my crts. We'll see how it stack up tonight. Unreal. I am shocked over this. Just shocked and blown away.

BTW, no dead pixels whatsoever. However, I have a small scratch on the face of the monitor. It's about 5 pixels long but on a light background, it might just drive me nuts enough to replace. I ordered this from Newegg, and will ask them about it. Such a shame with an otherwise flawless unit.

Extremely happy thus far in first impression, will report back later.

Wow, this sounds good.
Can you try some playing some first person shooters on it?
What kind of graphics card do you have?

I need to send pics to someone to post. I no longer have any webspace. They just don't even begin to come close to how vibrant it is. Not even close.

Ok, I am in a rush to work here, in a big crunch period :). Burning the midnight oil. I will check in to try to answer questions when I can.

Yep colour is amazing. Not sure what to do yet with work because it's very different than the CRT colour. Not sure I calibrated it well (did 150 lum). A bit of a concern for me as an artist. As a gamer, web surfer, office app, and photos, it seems just fantastic, so bright and vivid - never seen the like of it.

Have no time for game testing yet. Currently on an 1900XT, but getting a gtx soon. Was developing in our game today and everything looking incredible. Not ghosting I could see. But I was not "playing it". No idea about lag. Doubt it's there. I will find this out soon.

The screen backlighting is ok. You can only notice it in a very dark room on a black screen. Seems to be in all four corners. I have a pic, but it's not as bad as in the pic. Can see nothing of it in the day. It doesn't bug me whatsoever. All black screen at night is brighter than my crts, but it looks better in the daytime, with naturally lit room.

It's a little sensitive to viewing angles, going a little redish. Straight on it looks stunning. All I care about. Though I do have to raise the screen a little as the bottom of my screen looks a little warmer/darker.

No idea on the pixel policy, I bought from new egg. Sorry for rushed comments. More later. someone pm me their email so they can host a couple pics.

I have to get better pics, I was too rushed. Will try to get on here by tonight.

No rush. Work before play, right?

... granted, I'm posting from work, but I also have nothing to do today.

There's also a 24" variant out by the name of PX2411W, I wonder how it stacks up against the NEC and Samsung offerings? I was thinking of getting a 2470WNX to replace my 22" C120 CRT.

img0512my2.jpg

img0521hk2.jpg

img0527er6.jpg

img0531gy6.jpg

img0534of6.jpg

Note in the above pics, my Viewsonic on the right had not been calibrated brighter yet. The NEC on the left was a bit dimmer in luminance. Needs to redo it all. But anyway here you go. Trust me they just don't do the screen justice...

My post got lost in the forum mess up that happened. So I want to know what kind of screen coating this monitor has. I'm sure it's not glossy :(, so how strongly anti-glare is it? How does it compare to the crystally/dirty/grainy strongly anti-glare screens (Dell) or the so-called 'semi-glossy' like the LG24"?

No problem, Rembrandt. I will try to get to testing some gaming when I get a chance.

If I have to state a negative about this screen, it's that the screen is sensitive to viewing angle even when working close on it - in terms of the vertical. When I am working in photoshop, I notice the bottom of my screen warms up slightly. It's bothered me a bit when I was working on a greyish texture. My solution was to tilt the monitor upward a bit. And I will likely end up making an elevated base for it. People might not notice this, it took me working in photoshop with specific stuff. I have no idea if this is normal on your average panel, or if this can be seen on the Dell. I would like to know that.

Back to the pluses. If you work with pixels, this is the size of screen to get. This is extremely sharp, and the pixels are the perfect size - you can't see them from working distance, but they're there when you put your face within 6-8 inches. For my vocation it's just absolutely essential. And I fear if I went the way of the 30 that the pixels may be too small, and might not be as sharp. The 30 is likely fine for most people, but this was definately for me from a texture artist standpoint.

My post got lost in the forum mess up that happened. So I want to know what kind of screen coating this monitor has. I'm sure it's not glossy :(, so how strongly anti-glare is it? How does it compare to the crystally/dirty/grainy strongly anti-glare screens (Dell) or the so-called 'semi-glossy' like the LG24"?

I don't know how to answer this. This is my first LCD. It's not glossy, but I don't know how it fares versus other screens. Reflections I see are diffused and dimmed quite well.

Sounds like a pretty good matte finish. That's good news to me.

You say the vertical viewing angles are a bit odd.. do you mean that if you twist the monitor up some, the screen's colors are uniform, or that you just twist it up to view the bottom evenly and have to twist it back down for the top?

Also, if possible, could you run a timer test some time in the next week or whenever to see how lag is? It'd just be mirroring some kind of stopwatch program (like http://www.mel.nist.gov/div826/src/stopwatch/ ) across a CRT and the LCD (running at native res).

And, @wEvil: I sent a request for panel info to Planar on that one, hopefully they'll get back to me some time on Monday or Tuesday.

Yes if I twist it up, it's all uniform - when your perspective is fully perpendicular to the screen. We're talking about being picky here though. I noticed it only when working on an all-grey image, and it was subtle. But enough there to bother me for that image. I thought the unit was defective until I saw I could get more perpendicular and was better. You really can't notice this in regular viewing.

I'm going to return this unit Monday though, I have two nicks in the screen I didn't put there.

*bump*
Any more thoughts on this 26 incher?

The more I look at it the more attractive it seems over the current 24" offerings, especially at the price.

Nice price for sure. I played racing simulation the other day folks. No input lag, no ghosting that I could tell but it's a day setting. I will try to get an FPS running soon if I can.

Keeping you guys in the know....regarding the bottom of the screen warming...tilting seemed to solve it the other day, but it did not go away. I can still notice it subtly. This is on an all grey screen in photoshop. During regular use, not an issue whatsoever. The uniformity is otherwise excellent.

The 'warming' may be the IPS off-angle coloration, I can notice this in the bottom corners of my 20WMGX2 but just like you it is decreased by tilting the monitor up slightly, and thus parallel to my line of sight looking down slightly when the top of the mointor is just about eye height, rather than having it perfectly vertical. I believe the glossy screen exagerrates it a little too. I imagine it's exagerrated on this screen due to the size but I bet you can sit back pretty far from a 26". Try Dead Pixel buddy and have it display a black screen, see if you see a dull yellow-golden tint in those areas.

Yeah, I did move it back a bit and it helped. I wonder if it's even more noticable on a larger S-IPS like the 3007wfp? I don't recall anyone post about it in those threads, other than side angles.

Anyway, still loving the screen. In those images above, that is a calibrated px2611w. You'd not believe how bright and vibrant it came shipped, if that's the kind of look you want.

I can't wait to have a second then a third one ;)

One of the tricks I learned from all my reading is -- in order to get accurate colors you need to actually LOWER the brightness of the display... So having a 500 over 400 candles/square meter is NOT something to wish for, but rather how LOW you can get it to, which, as much as I understand, is about 120-140...

Can you get it down to those numbers, hudder?

The colours are very accurate from my experience, but I am not doing print work. I currently have it calibrated to 150cm/d and there's much more room to go dimmer. It came very bright at 400 I think. It was dazzling, but hardly conducive to good work :)

Back