plan of attack for my oc

Soymilk

[H]ard|Gawd
just wanted to run this by you guys to see if theres anything i should do differently :)

im planning on getting an opteron 146, going to try and buy the amd stock heatpipe cooler off of someone, and i already have 2x1gb of corsair value ram.

this is assuming my mobo is able to hit whatever fsb so that it'll b a cpu limitation, not the motherboard limitation, and has vcore and vdimm adjustments.

first, ill have everything stock, check temps etc to make sure the heatsink's mounted properly, run stability tests, and just use my computer normally for a few days to burn in. then when i start oc'ing, ill run a low divider (since this is value ram, i'll probably start off w/ something like 1:2) and see how far i can push my cpu for a comfortable overclock (including raising voltage). then i'll start raising the divider, getting as close to 1:1 at stock timings (3-3-3-8) as i can (including bumping vdimm to see if that helps). once i find the comfortable spot for the cpu and the closest divider to 1:1 that my ram can run at, i'll start lowering timings. this is w/ running stability tests all over the place plus testing with playing games and stuff.

sound like a plan? is there anything that i'm missing? im not planning on oc'ing my video card yet, going to just do cpu/ram (which reminds me, i need to lock the pci-e slot speed, right?).

I will tell you what I did. I have 2x1gb PC3200 ram stock timings at 3-4-4-8. I started to do 200mhz intervals and checking for stability at each stop. Except for 2.2ghz, I ran it at 1:1 but I just said, what the heck it's stable (lol) and just went to 2.4ghz at 5:6 and tested. Everything was fine. Then I did 2.6ghz at, I honestly forgot which divider but 4:5 seems logical and it was stable at prime for 2 hours. Then I did 2.8ghz at 7/10 but had an error calculating 32m pi so I increased dram voltage to 2.7 (+0.1) and then tested some more and was stable at prime for 6 hours. I never messed with the timings of my ram also......

If OCin, your RAM will never see the 1:1 divider...at least not value ram unless your leaving it at DDR400 stock.

You might want to get A64MemFreq11 so you can figure out what your memory is running at when you start changing the dividers. I thought it was sort of straight forward to figure that out - just take the divider and multiply it by the FSB - but it's not quite like that. The program does the semi-convoluted calculation for you.

Plan sounds fine - but you may just want to assume value RAM is going to run around rated speed, use A64MemFreq11.exe to figure out what to set everything else to in order to run your CPU at whatever you find the stable max on it to be.

thanks for the responses. i know my value ram isn't going to see 1:1, but im gonna try to get it as close as possible (probably like 4:5 or something like that, others have gotten their value ram to 230mhz w/ 2.5-3-3-5, hope mine does as well :))

also, in eclipse's post about memory dividers and such, he tells how to calculate the speed, so i'll probably just do it by hand cuz im too lazy to download the program. (which doesnt really make sense... but yeah.)

Back