Places to download DVD-Audio?

Moofasa~

[H]ard|Gawd
I was wondering if there are places that I could download *cough* for free *cough* dvd-audio songs? I don't believe this is "possible", but I just thought I should atleast give it a shot. I wanted to compare dvd-audio vs mp3/regular cds before actually buying dvd-audio dvds and then finding out that the extra quality wasn't worth the extra cash. Also, anyone else know of any other 24-bit music formats that I could also compare to? Thanks...

-MoOfAsA~

Can't be done. DVD-Audio's MLP storage method is still uncracked. And even if someone managed to hack it, each song would be huge. Not to mention only a couple players can play it, and only a few soundcards.

I would think if you had a compatible player with digital out and a 24bit soundcard with digital in you would be able to dub the playback into 24bit files. Might not be identical to extraction, but should be damn close, especially with good hardware. And I think many soundcards support 24bit playback these days.

Then WavePak or RAR the files. With broadband, large files aren't much of an issue. People are already downloading full dvd's.

I'm not sure how they do it, but I've seen offerings of 24bit files available from certain sources, course we can't discuss those things here.

I would also think a legal way to compare the quality would be to visit a stereo shop, I'm sure they'd be happy to demo the next wiz bang tech stuff. Perhaps some music stores would do this also.

On a side note, I know there's a lot of debate regarding the benefits of 24bit playback from 16bit sources, but from my experience with home recording, there is a big difference recording in 24bit vs 16bit. I also think the difference from 16 > 24 bitrate is more noticable than the 44 > 96 sample rate.

Originally posted by agent420
I would think if you had a compatible player with digital out and a 24bit soundcard with digital in you would be able to dub the playback into 24bit files. Might not be identical to extraction, but should be damn close, especially with good hardware. And I think many soundcards support 24bit playback these days.

Then WavePak or RAR the files. With broadband, large files aren't much of an issue. People are already downloading full dvd's.

I'm not sure how they do it, but I've seen offerings of 24bit files available from certain sources, course we can't discuss those things here.

From what I understand about DVD-A players (stand-alone, not PC) they ONLY output through the player's discrete analog outs, to prevent bitstream copying...

Originally posted by KaosDG
From what I understand about DVD-A players (stand-alone, not PC) they ONLY output through the player's discrete analog outs, to prevent bitstream copying...

Some models use Firewire to send a digital signal to the receiver. Still, good luck ripping that.

Back